Keyboard crash and harsh restart

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 08 July 2008 - 04:00 PM

So, when I let my sister play on my laptop, every 5-10 minutes she says "I crashed the laptop!" and this means that no any input works anymore. No matter what key I press or what touching pad action I make, the programs act like no input was made. Even the screen saver comes in after a time, like no problem was, just I didn't press anything. Trying to figure out why it is, I came to the conclusion that it is caused by the following things:
-touching two different points of the touching pad at the same time
-pressing the touching pad very hard
-leaving finger on the touching pad for long
-laying whole finger instead of just the fingertip on the touching pad
-pressing a kes too hard
-sys almost reached new save point

When this happens, I press and hold the power button which eventually shuts the laptop off and then I press again so it starts anew, seemingly without any error. There was an error only once, but then I was confused at that time and kept pressing the power button. I needed a system restore at that time. (yes, I even made a thread about it)

I never crash the keyboard this way nowadays (only when I got this laptop and only one or two times since then), so I guess my sister isn't used to my lightweight keyboard, rather to the family computer's keyboard which DO require hard keyboard pressing (I can't get used to THAT one!).

My primary question is, these restarts damage my laptop somehow? I don't remember making any defragmenting or such tool action with it since I have it (I have it since I am at PureZC +1 month).

EDIT: I simply can't reproduce the same error. I played my sister's save data, but nothing. My brother made this keyboard crash, too. But me simply not.

#2 Ben

Ben

a very grumpy

• Members

Posted 08 July 2008 - 06:13 PM

How many other devices are plugged into the laptop?

#3 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 09 July 2008 - 03:19 AM

Nothing. The only wires there are the internet cable and the electricity/power cable. CD/DVD tray is empty. No extra drivers downloaded. Never was any mouse or extra monitor plugged in. At the time of my sister playing, not even the pendrives are in.

#4 Koopa

Koopa

The child behind the turtle

• Members

Posted 09 July 2008 - 01:27 PM

There's two things that come to mind - a loose cable, or a driver problem. Are you using the most up-to-date driver for your touchpad?

Does it only happen during certain programs/games, or anytime in windows?

#5 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 09 July 2008 - 02:01 PM

It happens anywhere in windows. My sister makes this crash when playing on the emulators, which could be very unstable, but they work 99% fine for me. And my brother made this crash while browsing a forum.

Loose cable? Well, both the internet and power cables are perfectly fitting and I don't think lack of internet or in-built powersource using would cause such keyboard crash.

As for up-to-date driver, I check it now and edit this post or such.

EDIT: I finally grabbed a better touchpad driver. I unleash my sister on the laptop then to test it.

EDIT 2: Well, my sister was playing for sweet girly hours and the laptop is still stable. It might be because the new driver and might be because now I told her not to rest her fingers on the touching pad while playing. Just for the sake of testing, there's a short time when she left her fingers on the touching pad, but still no keyboard crash. And I don't see the past restarts made any error. All was well. icon_thumbsup.gif

#6 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 22 July 2008 - 12:49 AM

And I don't see the past restarts made any error. All was well

If there was no HDD activity then doing a full shutdown without shutting windows down first, it is fairly safe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users