combo copy swap

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 12 September 2016 - 02:27 PM

OK, so I'm working with the combo window - the one that lays out 5 combo columns and lets your insert/copy/swap and such. More specifically, I'm doing some combo (re)arrangements, and I need to know if there's a way to do combo swaps that update used combos in the same way as doing combo insertions.

I'm not entirely sure how to write out what I'm asking about, so I made pictures!

The cool part: combo insertion

Room designs are based on combo number - where the combo is located in the combo list. Now let's say I want to add more combos to the combo list, but I think they'd work better between existing combos rather than at the end of the list. This means I'd have to bump the remaining combo list forward, thus re-numbering every combo following the ones I make new spaces for.

For example, let's say I want to expand the combo list between the combos for the upper and lower right corners of the dungeon room, which use combo 269 and 273:
Spoiler
So I open the original list, insert a bunch of blank spaces between 269 and 273, and even fill some of them up with new combos:
Spoiler
Now combo 269 has become 275, and 273 has become 291. Does the dungeon room get all messed up because of the renumbering? Actually, no:
Spoiler
Rearranging the combo list by inserting new combos also automatically updates everything that uses those combos from the old numbers to the new numbers, so I can keep adding new combos without having to redesign my existing designs. It even works with other things like aliases and door combo sets, so it saves everybody wanting to expand their combo list a massive headache in every way. Really smart thinking on the part of the programmers. Super cool!

But...

The not-so-cool part: combo swapping

The combo list also has a feature called swap, which lets you switch the position of 2 different combos.

For example, lets say I want to swap the positions of the door frames on the right side of the dungeon room, which use combo 386 and 390:
Spoiler
So I open the original list, and swap the two combos:
Spoiler
Now combo 386 has become 390, and 390 has become 386. Does the dungeon room get all messed up because of the renumbering? Actually, yes:
Spoiler
And not only that, but aliases and door sets get messed up as well:
Spoiler
* So what I need to know is, is there a way to do a combo swap and have it update the room/alias/door set combos in the same way that doing a combo insert updates them? *

Reason: I've been throwing together an expanded classic tileset over the past half year now. The amount of tiles and variations I've come up with has grown to proportions far beyond my original plans, and it's become clear I'm going to have to heavily rearrange massive chunks of the combo list if I don't want people to cry when they open the file. I mean, even I cry when I try to find some things, and I'm the one who made them. I already did a big rearrangement of both the tile and combo pages in the first month, but even that ended up not being enough. The problem is, I now have over 100 fully functional test/demo screens, as well as nearly 200 aliases, and the door sets were already redone once... and this mass rearrangement will trash all of those.

So, I'd really like to find a way to do swaps with usage updates. And if it doesn't exist, could it be a feature request? I mean, the combo usage update code already exists, so hopefully it would only be a matter of applying an existing function to another existing function. And there could be a new right-click menu item, like "Swap (Replace)" or "Swap + Replace," so the original method could remain as well as the new one. Possibility? Or would I have to spend weeks updating everything?

#2 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 16 September 2016 - 03:13 AM

Use c copy and then m move. It is more tedious but so far the only way to keep the combo-properties. Short warning, if you move a combo above an existing combo the existing one will be replaced with it, not deleted. Though that only matters if you have them used on screens already. And if you push u to change it back only the tiles will be moved back, the properties stay in the new place as far as i remember. So if you replace combos through moving the only way to get the former combos back is to reload the file.
  • Lüt likes this

#3 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 17 September 2016 - 08:01 AM

Hrm.

Hrrrrrmmm...

OK, I think you've got something there.

So, M keeps all the combo usage applications the same. That's a step in the right direction. (And honestly I think I even used it before, but I guess I didn't make note of it since I didn't realize its potential until now.)

The thing is, that means I'm going to need a lot of blank spaces as a scratch pad. Because I don't have precise final layouts in mind, I'll be doing a lot of swapping and flopping until I come up with whatever seems best. That's gonna be a whole load of i-enter and shift+i-enter to make space for that heh. (Probably wouldn't be such a big problem if I wasn't up to 14,000 combos :P)

Anyway, yeah, I think I can work this. Looks like door combo sets, aliases and everything else are all staying together. I see what you said, about undo not resetting combo usage applications - suddenly I have great appreciation for the "revert" feature. Is there a way to do mass combo insert/remove? I select 3 columns of blank combos to remove, but it seems I can only do them one at a time? Otherwise, I think everything's taken care of for now.

#4 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 17 September 2016 - 09:27 AM

The last time I deleted/removed a combo messed everything up. Or were that different options? Maybe just in an older version and never tried afterwards.

Just in case you don't know, you can move multiple combos at once. If you dont have free combos inserting new ones might be the better options, but I prefer to move a group of combos, organize them and put them back. So I would just move whole combo pages if I need extra free space.

#5 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 18 September 2016 - 08:51 AM

The last time I deleted/removed a combo messed everything up. Or were that different options?

It's the same option.

But I was talking about using it to remove the red square. If you remove an actual combo, that is to say a combo that you've placed in your screens, then yes the screens using the one you removed will get messed up. But since I make so many new spaces, I end up with a bunch of those empty red squares separating my sections, so I have to remove like 100-200 of those at a time to shift certain sections around. Sometimes I can move entire sections to fill the spaces, but sometimes I have to do it like that.

Just in case you don't know, you can move multiple combos at once. If you dont have free combos inserting new ones might be the better options, but I prefer to move a group of combos, organize them and put them back.

That's mostly what I've been doing. Sometimes I have to skip 30 pages, so I started doing multi-page moves.

Well, it sounds like you do this a lot, are you making your own project other than Akkabus now?

#6 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 18 September 2016 - 09:32 AM

Not really. Since I am not used to spriting I am awfully slow and when I come around to do a bit ZC I nearly make no progress even if I spend a few hours. I work mostly through copying the defaults, edit around like crazy and hope something good looking comes out. For that I need a bit of safe space to work in but I also use existing tiles to compare with or to mix with, so for that purpose I often move stuff out of the way.

I am planning to work with firebird, but I have two big troubles, I don't like the default dungeon walls, they are not user friendly like ezgbz and I also made some extra walls based on Linkus triple dungeon tiles that doesn't fit in next to the firebird ones. Not to mention the doors. I have some good ideas waiting though.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: combo, copy, swap

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users