Photo

Screenshot of the Week 338

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
104 replies to this topic

Poll: ! (77 member(s) have cast votes)

!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#76 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 28 September 2011 - 01:16 PM

QUOTE(Sheik91 @ Sep 28 2011, 10:32 AM) View Post

No you don't understand what avantgarde art is than. The point of avantgarde is not being innovative, the point simply is breaking with the (civic/middle-class) norms and definitions of art and ideas of aesthetics and thusly be new and shocking in a way. Avantgarde sorta died after The White Canvas (art), the silence of the instruments (music) and Dadaism (literature, esp. poetry).
Rover's screen might not have been intented to be avantgarde, but it became avantgarde (by my subtle judgement) when about 40% of the community decided to support Rover's screen and by that not only is Rover breaking the rules of the art of screendesign but the community itself is breaking the norms of this very contest. It's irritating a large number of members and by that these very members also make it avantgarde (because without them letting hell break loose it would not fulfill the "purpose" of avantgarde). Avantgarde at it's best. Eventhough the screen might never have been ment to be avantgarde in the first place.

The thing about good avant garde is that it says something about the state of the art or has some challenging aspect to it.

For example, 4'33" challenges the definition of music by removing the artist's influence from the work (effectively making the piece defined by chance and the listener himself) sort of like how the White Paintings are a reflection of the ambient conditions when the piece is viewed. These challenge our preconceptions of what art "should" be and ask questions about experience and interpretation.

I don't see that here. I've been around since... almost a year before DoR 2.0 was released, and I saw the huge effect that tilset had on screen design and detail principles. I can also clearly identify a backlash against that heavily detailed style that formed in its wake, and I think it's more "in" to design around "minimalistic" principles with screens today, although that certainly doesn't seem true all of the time. I don't really see repeated Link tiles being the next big thing in screen design. This is something that's novel and funny to see (although I have to question how creative it is coming after Alison's "John Wilkes Booth") but acknowledging it beyond that is sort of silly to me.

Even if you acknowledge it as avant garde, there are still subjective lines to be drawn. For example, filming a movie with the lens cap on is challenging the norm, and it could be considered avant garde, but if the film still acted as if the visual component was there it's a failure. The art ultimately still must be sound; there's a reason that I like the White Paintings less than the Mona Lisa, while still acknowledging them as perfectly valid pieces of art and sort of brilliant in their own right.

god i need a life

But, that's taking things really seriously. I have to admit that if I was a contestant I would feel sort of cheated losing to this shot but ultimately it's supposed to be a fun thing and I don't think Rover's shot was ever really trying to win anyway. It just sort of ended up that way.

#77 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 28 September 2011 - 01:55 PM

Ebola, what's "good" avantgarde or "bad" avantgarde is hard to say.
The point of avantgarde isn't to challenge, but to be "shocking in it's pointlessness", so to speak. Avantgarde has to seem senseless by disregarding the commonly accepted concepts of what's art, what's aesthetics and what's appropriate technique, etc. Because that way it will perplex the middle-class / the civic status quo. This is the only "purpose" avantgarde has. Avantgarde doesn't care about "artistic value", because it sets itself beyond the existing definitions of such.
If you want to say that avantgarde challenges, than you could say that avantgarde challegenes believes like "art should be pretty" and other basic principles of the common understanding of art and aestetics. The White Canvas aren't avantgarde because the ambient conditions create the painting, they are avantgarde because they remove "painting" from "art" and thusly question the very definition of art. The same goes for the Silence Of The Instruments in music which takes the sound from music and Dadaism which takes sense from the words. These three are the ultimate pieces of avantgarde (and also it's tombstones).
Avantagarde isn't ment to be a "next step" or progress of any sorts. That's beside the point. DoR 2.0 might've well changed screen design here at PZC but that doesn't make it avantgarde. The only thing avantgarde I see in DoR is mixing Gameboy graphics with SD3, that'd be about it.

#78 Aslion

Aslion

End Fascism

• Members

Posted 28 September 2011 - 02:43 PM

QUOTE(Prospekt @ Sep 28 2011, 12:54 PM) View Post

Regardless of everything or anything, it is Screenshot of the WEEK. Just wait for next Sunday. It's not like Alison kept posting John Wilkes Booth every week thereafter.

Thought about it though.

#79 Ben

Ben

a very grumpy

• Members

Posted 29 September 2011 - 08:18 AM

I normally ignore the ZC-related things altogether, but Rover's screenshot was brought to my attention and frankly he should win this one.

If the other participants are sore about it, then enter again later. Not winning a contest on a forum on the internet should not have such an impact on you that it makes you upset. I lost a few of these myself back in the day. I won ... once.

Edited by Bagel, 29 September 2011 - 08:22 AM.

#80 Pabru

Pabru

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 29 September 2011 - 10:14 AM

A joke entry is winning? Interesting. It looks like it took about 30 seconds to make. My vote went to Twilight Knight as its the only one that caught my eye. The boss shot and the fire wizzrobe shot just weren't visually appealing. Jared's is an excellent shot but I've seen countless variations of it over and over again, while Twilight's still has an aura of uniqueness. Even that aside, the design of Twilight's is slightly better.

Still, there seems to be somewhat of an issue with Twilight's palette (?) and it doesn't grab you and absolutely force you to vote for it. Essentially a vote for the solid shot that actually involved effort.

#81 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

Tell all with glee, Argon's on PureZC

• Members

Posted 29 September 2011 - 10:48 AM

Even though I'm not winning, I'm glad people like my screenshot so much. Thank you for the comments.

Those enemies are little tree trunks, treants or whatever you might call them. I call them treants.

#82 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 29 September 2011 - 11:48 AM

Unless I'm blind and Rover's screen really can start a new trend of screen design.

I'm taking the challenge. Who's in? Submit for next week's SotW if you are.

#83 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 29 September 2011 - 04:32 PM

QUOTE(Sheik91 @ Sep 29 2011, 11:48 AM) View Post

I'm taking the challenge. Who's in? Submit for next week's SotW if you are.

I have no doubt that we'll see more entries like this (although perhaps not in volume or with regularity) but I think Nuvo was talking more about things that will wind up in quests and projects more than entries in SotW.

#84 Rambly

Rambly

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 29 September 2011 - 05:27 PM

Rover's screen could honestly have worked as some cool modern art thing if he'd made it artsier looking. If he'd made all the Links different colors it could have passed as some Warhol thing. Maybe there is a trend starting!!

Umm.

I liked Twilight_Knight's the best in terms of composition, but I voted for Rover.

Also, the point of avant-garde is to challenge the status quo. That's really all there is to it. I wouldn't call Rover's screenshot genuinely avant-garde because I doubt that was Rover's intention. But I guess in spirit it really is challenging the status quo. Namely, that Screenshot of the Week is the end-all be-all and best showcase of ZQuest talent. It really shouldn't be. People have focused too much on amazing screen design, pouring hours of effort into polishing a single screen for our screenshot threads/multiple screenshot contests, etc., and I think that's partly why we've seen less actual, yanno, finished quests compared to years past (there are multiple reasons I think that's true, actually)--I'd rather play a finished quest with interesting design than play an unfinished demo with eye-popping screens and boring gameplay. (I'd also rather play a short quest with good ideas rather than a long, ambitious quest--if I only knock out 4 hours or less compared to 30+, but I enjoy my time the whole way through, I'm perfectly happy. But, well...)

...really, that's something for another thread. I could write a whole essay on what I think is Wrong With ZC These Days™, but I dunno if it'd be worth the effort and to be honest I don't want to talk like I'm the guy with all the answers as far as ZC is concerned when I really ain't. Plus, what I've had to say has probably already been said somewhere.

#85 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 29 September 2011 - 05:53 PM

QUOTE(Rambly @ Sep 29 2011, 04:27 PM) View Post

Namely, that Screenshot of the Week is the end-all be-all and best showcase of ZQuest talent. It really shouldn't be. People have focused too much on amazing screen design, pouring hours of effort into polishing a single screen for our screenshot threads/multiple screenshot contests, etc., and I think that's partly why we've seen less actual, yanno, finished quests compared to years past (there are multiple reasons I think that's true, actually)--I'd rather play a finished quest with interesting design than play an unfinished demo with eye-popping screens and boring gameplay. (I'd also rather play a short quest with good ideas rather than a long, ambitious quest--if I only knock out 4 hours or less compared to 30+, but I enjoy my time the whole way through, I'm perfectly happy. But, well...)

QFMFTITNRF! (quoted for mother f***ing truth in times new roman font)
I could not agree with this any more, Rambly.

#86 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

• Members

Posted 29 September 2011 - 06:01 PM

It really took me like 5 minutes to design my screen. -.- Not countless hours of effort.

#87 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 29 September 2011 - 06:55 PM

QUOTE(Twilight_Knight @ Sep 29 2011, 05:01 PM) View Post

It really took me like 5 minutes to design my screen. -.- Not countless hours of effort.

Um...wow. I don't mean to be a dick, but maybe you'd be in the lead if you had put a bit more effort into it? I usually put a good half hour into a SotW entry.

#88 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

• Members

Posted 29 September 2011 - 07:35 PM

Lol, you're really contradicting yourself now and I don't think you should swear as much as you do, it's not making you cool or such.

#89 Vinyl Scratch

Vinyl Scratch

• Members

Posted 29 September 2011 - 07:38 PM

QUOTE(Twilight_Knight @ Sep 29 2011, 07:35 PM) View Post

Lol, you're really contradicting yourself now and I don't think you should swear as much as you do, it's not making you cool or such.

Uhm, okay. Go from telling him his screens look like they take 5 minutes to make to yelling at him for swearing.

I understand everything now.

#90 Rover

Rover

slam dunk

• Members

Posted 29 September 2011 - 07:40 PM

QUOTE(Twilight_Knight @ Sep 29 2011, 08:35 PM) View Post

He used on swear word, and is just saying that you need to spend more efforts in your screens if you want them to be good. icon_unsettled.gif

Edited by Rover, 29 September 2011 - 08:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users