Magma Sanctum

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 13 May 2014 - 07:05 PM

It's been almost two months since the last update, back when I had a QPF. So, what do I have to show off? A brand new level!

Posted Image

Say hello to the new Magma Sanctum. Gone is the boring, empty crater of yesteryear. What you see now is a dynamic, interactive dungeon where not a single room goes to waste. Interactive?, you ask. How so? Well...

Posted Image

That steam ain't just for show. I showed off the Magnet Shot back when I was still scripting it, and now it's been fully implemented. Need to cross a gap? Use it to pull yourself across. Or if you have some darknuts handy...

Posted Image

It's fun walking on top of your fallen foes! And of course, there's all sorts of possibilities for puzzles with this thing. Let me just give you a brief taste of what you can expect.

Posted Image

I blasted through all this in about four days, so with any luck, if I can keep up the pace, this quest shouldn't be in development for too long. Hopefully. Stay tuned.
  • Jared, Demonlink and David like this

#2 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 13 May 2014 - 07:14 PM

Thoughts on melted dungeon walls?

Magma sanctum and all.

#3 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:10 PM

Ohhh.  I hadn't seen the Magnet Shot video before, and that's a really nifty item!  Definitely has some pros and cons to it, and I can definitely see how it can get a bit crazy at times.  I do have one concern, and maybe it's hard to tell from the video.  It seems like it might be a bit... hard to maneuver?

The screenshots look really good as well. :)

#4 Air Luigi

Air Luigi

Tio guachi

• Members

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:11 PM

Cool gimmicks, but be cautious with the dungeon layouts this time. Don't russ... err, don't rush it =P

#5 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:30 PM

I do have one concern, and maybe it's hard to tell from the video.  It seems like it might be a bit... hard to maneuver?

So personally, I don't think it's any harder to control then, say, the Gale Boomerang in IoR (which you scripted if memory serves), and people didn't have a problem with that, so I think I'm good. I've edited it a bit since that video, and it snaps to the grid now, giving you a fair margin of error in hitting targets. But of course, I designed it, so it'll seem easier to me. But that's what beta testers are for. If people think it's too difficult, I'll definitely work on it.

The screenshots look really good as well. :)

Thanks!

Cool gimmicks, but be cautious with the dungeon layouts this time. Don't russ... err, don't rush it =P

Oh trust me, I'm being cautious. My biggest problem before was having lots of empty rooms with really nothing to do in them, so I've definitely been trying to address that here. There's not a single room in the dungeon that you just walk through without doing anything in. It's fairly small in terms of screen count, but it really gets the most out of each room. I've been trying to learn from Evan and Moosh as much as possible in that regard.
  • Dirtyshovel likes this

#6 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:43 PM

Oh trust me, I'm being cautious. My biggest problem before was having lots of empty rooms with really nothing to do in them, so I've definitely been trying to address that here. There's not a single room in the dungeon that you just walk through without doing anything in. It's fairly small in terms of screen count, but it really gets the most out of each room. I've been trying to learn from Evan and Moosh as much as possible in that regard.

Well, I do want to advise that you need to be careful with this.  I know at first thought having something in every room sounds really good, but you don't want to exhaust your players either.  Sometimes you do want rooms where all you do are fight few enemies with no puzzles.  Sometimes players need some rooms as breathers.

• Jared and Dirtyshovel like this

#7 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:46 PM

You have a good point there. I definitely did shift to one extreme here after... I don't know if you've played my past quests, but I've had some really bad dungeons full of empty rooms of little important to just pad out the length. And I think leaning towards too much to do is better than too little. But I'll definitely keep what you said in mind for the next dungeon.
  • Dirtyshovel likes this

#8 Maleboocado

Maleboocado

Gotta go fast!!!!!11

• Members

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:56 PM

What you need is a flow... everything must be natural. Easy to understand and hard to explain, I know...
  • Dirtyshovel likes this

#9 Legen Dary

Legen Dary

Freak Scene

• Members

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:36 AM

Like water.

Be water my friend.

• Maleboocado likes this

#10 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 14 May 2014 - 11:53 AM

Sounds like you've improved you are improving your dungeon making skills :)

And I like the idea of the Magnetshot too. So I'm definetly looking forward to how this dungeon plays out now, and how it has changed!

• Dirtyshovel likes this

#11 Demonlink

Demonlink

Lurking in the shadows...

• Members

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:56 PM

So, it appears I stumbled across this just yesterday and I was gonna post by I forgot XD. I like the idea of having a DX version of your past DX. But honestly, I like the DX version (the first). When you made it back in Pure, well, it was sloppy. But when I played the DoR version, I did like it and was one of the first quests I played back in the noob days. The bosses weren't quite as bad as you saw them, but heck, this, this 3.0 version will be the best you have made since Darkness Within!

So, I guess from what I read you'll have more dungeons than the 5 (excluding the short ones :P ) you had? I do hope so, and I'm pretty sure you'll make secrets more easy to find right? (I remember I had to start from zero to get the Light Sword :P ) From this update though, the Magnetshot looks really awesome, but... kinda tricky. Who knows though :D

Either way, I really look forward to this. *Clicks on Follow ;) *

Edited by Demonlink, 16 May 2014 - 09:57 PM.

#12 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:12 PM

But honestly, I like the DX version (the first). When you made it back in Pure, well, it was sloppy. But when I played the DoR version, I did like it and was one of the first quests I played back in the noob days. The bosses weren't quite as bad as you saw them, but heck, this, this 3.0 version will be the best you have made since Darkness Within!

If you liked DX, then more power to you, but... I don't, I can't bring myself to like it, and I freaking made it. It just has so many issues that I want to fix.

o, I guess from what I read you'll have more dungeons than the 5 (excluding the short ones :P ) you had? I do hope so, and I'm pretty sure you'll make secrets more easy to find right? (I remember I had to start from zero to get the Light Sword :P ) From this update though, the Magnetshot looks really awesome, but... kinda tricky. Who knows though :D

Actually, no, just the five. I've considered adding more, but I can't really find a way to justify it; anywhere I could add another would just end up feeling really forced. But don't worry, secrets are definitely going to be easier, and there won't be missable items this time around. I'm not quite sure what I'm gonna do as far as story paths go; I may let the player go back to an earlier point in time and change events to lead to a better ending, but I'm not entirely sure.

Either way, I really look forward to this. *Clicks on Follow ;) *

Thanks!
  • Demonlink likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users