Tricks of The Trade

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
175 replies to this topic

#121 Evile

Evile

Dolphinslayer

• Members

Posted 18 August 2007 - 03:37 PM

Some of the rope don't disappear when I kill them. icon_unsettled.gif Can this be fixed? I stab them and the just stop moving and change csets. They only disappear when i get hurt by them.

#122 Schwa

Schwa

Enjoy the Moment more. This strengthens Imagination.

• Members

Posted 18 August 2007 - 03:37 PM

A) I use b509.

B) Let me see if I can explain. The Guided Missiles are actually Bombchus, and how Bombchus work is when they get close enough to Link (as in RIGHT NEXT to him), they turn into (their weapon type + Misc.2) which does (Misc.3) damage. The actual Bombchu has Misc.2 set to 1, Misc.3 set to 8 and Weapon Type set to Bomb. This means when they get right next to Link, they turn into the projectile one after Bomb (which is Super Bomb) doing 8 damage, or 2 hearts (8 quarters of a heart). If they're killed with a weapon, they turn into their normal weapon, which is a normal bomb.

The Guided Missile has Misc.2 set to -6, Misc.3 set to 16, and Weapon Type set to Flame. This means if they die with a weapon, they become a flame, and if they get right next to Link, they become the weapon six before the Flame weapon, which is "Magic", doing 16 damage, or 4 hearts. This is why the shield can block the attack; it's not blocking the enemy, it's blocking the projectile they become which looks exactly like the enemy.

C) I set the weapon type to the Wizzrobe anyway even though it shouldn't matter, just to be safe. By the way, Misc.1 has no effect on whether it matters; Misc.2 being set to 2 or 3 does.

D) I'd keep the step speed of the Guided Missle 100 for now, 'cause it was glitching up if I set it to something like 60 or 75. If they fixed that bug, awesome. icon_smile.gif

(to Evan) Hmm... Did you set the Rope's HP to "1"? If that's not the problem, make sure on Page 3, either they're vunerable to B-Rang and Hookshot, or completely invincible. I think there's a glitch with the Enemy Editor that to make B-Rang/Hookshot Damage work, you have to uncheck it, click OK, edit the enemy again and check it again. If none of those work, maybe your Item settings in the Item Editor are messed up. icon_shrug.gif

Edited by Schwa, 18 August 2007 - 03:41 PM.

#123 Gleeok

Gleeok

It's dangerous to dough alone, bake this.

• Members

Posted 18 August 2007 - 04:01 PM

Ah, I didn't see the part where you set weapon to magic. I just saw flame...must of missed it. I also thought the misc1 > 0 for ropes/ weapons weren't functional, but it turns out it's just some of them. I tested it just now. Awesome.

Also good work with the Missle robe. As soon as _L_ fixes that thing you can set step to 200 to better mimic a projectile.

#124 Evile

Evile

Dolphinslayer

• Members

Posted 18 August 2007 - 04:03 PM

Well it only seems to happen to every 4th or 5th one I kill. I'm also using 254, would that be a problem? icon_shrug.gif

#125 Gleeok

Gleeok

• Members

Posted 18 August 2007 - 04:10 PM

There have been numorous changes since 254, in fact 254 is not 100% forwards compatable with 2.5. some things will get corrupted. I don't use 254, but it might not work right.

#126 Schwa

Schwa

• Members

Posted 18 August 2007 - 04:14 PM

Yeah, I always use the absolute latest beta. It's important to be up to date with technology, both hardware and software (software in this case). You might be stuck. icon_frown.gif

#127 Evile

Evile

Dolphinslayer

• Members

Posted 18 August 2007 - 04:15 PM

So if I upgrade I'll be screwed?? I don't really know what to do here...

Should I slowly upgrade my quest? Or just jump to the newest beta. icon_unsettled.gif

Edited by Evan the great, 18 August 2007 - 04:16 PM.

#128 Gleeok

Gleeok

• Members

Posted 18 August 2007 - 04:25 PM

Haha! that's great, some other weapons work too! I set the sprites as boomerangs, with goriya for wizzrobe sprites. and homing boomerangs! haha! That's much easier than what I was doing. It's still neat though;

I have a bombchu(default) using Mega man Dive missle sprites being fired via script from a cannon combo every x ticks. But now I know the weapon properties for ropes can be changed effectively using the newer builds. thanks Schwa. ;p

#129 Evile

Evile

Dolphinslayer

• Members

Posted 18 August 2007 - 07:43 PM

I got it to work now. icon_wink.gif Thanks alot. icon_thumbsup.gif

#130 Feenicks

Feenicks

still the harpy guy

• Members

Posted 24 August 2007 - 10:48 AM

Shift-click any combo already laid down to switch it to the CSet you're currently using!

I found this out about a minute ago.

#131 Schwa

Schwa

• Members

Posted 31 August 2007 - 04:36 PM

Here's one that'll spice up ANY high-end Quest with dignity.

***Event-based Sidequests***

Objective: We're gonna make a fully functional sidequest in the Quest. All we need are two dungeons, two Dmaps and version 1.92b183 or 2.10. This is slightly similar to the Upgrading Shops trick. We don't even need to copy entire maps to make this work. We're using the Schwa Method, so listen up. Here we go.

-First, make a house interior that's 4 screens big. The first screen should have an exit to outside and a door on the north wall leading to the second screen. Set a Trigger enemy in the room, set the Dungeon Boss Flag, set Enemies->Secret and set No Secret Sounds. Now place Flag#16 all around the north door and set it to change to a Pit/Direct Warp combo that looks JUST like the floor.

-Now make the second room. Put a Guy inside with a string... I'll use this string, but you don't have to; "Those rotten Bandits stole the medicine my son needs to recover from his sickness! If you find it, I'll reward you greatly!" Set the Room Type to "None".

-Third room. It has to look EXACTLY like Room 1 (in fact, use Paste All), minus the Trigger enemy, Boss flag, Enemies->Secret, No Secret Sounds and Flag#16s. Plus it has to north exit to Room 4 instead of Room 2. The South Exit to outside has to be the same though. (Use a Side Warp for the outside exit, btw. Duh.)

-Fourth room. Put a Guy with a string... Again, I'll just use this one: "You found the medicine! Now my boy can be healthy again! Take this as your reward!" Set the room type "Special Item" and set it to whatever you want. I'm setting it to 200 Rupees in my example.

-For this house, when you set the Dmap level number, TAKE NOTE OF IT. You'll need it later.

-Now make the other dungeon. In my example it'll be the lair of the bandits who stole the medicine. Make it however you want, and in the Boss Room, put the Boss Enemy down (like a Manhandla or whatever), NO Trigger enemy, and set the Dungeon Boss Flag for that room. (If you want, make that room lead to another one when you kill the boss with an invisible Guy and some string dialouge saying "Link found a bottle of strange medicine..." or something like that.) Set the Dmap of this dungeon to the SAME as the one with the house.

What should happen: When you go into the house, the lady tells you to find her medicine. When you go into the bandit lair and kill the Boss, you "get" the medicine. When you go back to the house, she'll give you 200 Rupees as a reward.

You can substitute any strings or rewards with this trick. You can make it so you need the Bomb Flower to give to the Gorons in exchange for a better Sword, or you can make it so you have to rescue the little boy like in ZII, or you can make it so the guards won't let you into the castle until you learn the password from their friend... The possibilities are ENDLESS.

Just remember to set the Dmap level numbers to be the same in the two dungeons involved.
  • SweetShart likes this

#132 Fuzzy

Fuzzy

Wizard

• Members

Posted 01 September 2007 - 07:59 PM

Holy Martin Broduer! That's amazing. I have 1 question though.

Can it be used in chains? (I'll give you A if you give me B, different person says they will give B if you give C)

If not, it's still a great trick.

#133 Schwa

Schwa

• Members

Posted 02 September 2007 - 10:44 PM

QUOTE(fuzzyman @ Sep 1 2007, 05:59 PM) View Post
Holy Martin Broduer! That's amazing. I have 1 question though.

Can it be used in chains? (I'll give you A if you give me B, different person says they will give B if you give C)

Yes it can, but it's extremely difficult and tedious and I've never attempted it. I can try to explain it though...

Suppose you wanted the guy to give you the pasta when you gave him the medicine, then you take the pasta to someone else to get the Red Candle. Set up the first two Dmaps like you normally would, only in the House Dmap Room 3 (the copy of Room 1), have it Side-Warp set to Scrolling Warp to Room 4 instead, and make an EXACT copy of the House Dmap with a DIFFERENT Level Number. Make the Guy in Room 4 with Special Item, and set the Special Item to Misc. 1 and give that item Pasta graphics. Set the Dungeon Boss Flag in that room and NO trigger enemy.

Now, make the house with the guy who wants Pasta inside, and set it up like Rooms 1-4 in our FIRST example (last post), but use the Level Number of the COPY Dmap in the above example. Have the guy in Room 4 give you the Red Candle as a Special Item.

It's more than a little complicated and it sucks up Dmaps like crazy, but it's a versatile trick that can even be used in 1.92b183 or 2.10. icon_biggrin.gif

#134 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 09 September 2007 - 12:57 AM

**Locked Doors in Freeform Dungeons**

A recent thread in Editor Help inspired this 2.5 only trick. Normally, when using locked doors, you had to make one side locked and the other open, right? Well, sometimes, you want the player to see the other side, and it can be a little confusing if you have an open door on one side and a locked door on the other. Well, fret no more! Really, anybody could have thought of this, but I decided to put it down here for anyone who needs it.

Alright, first things first: set up your lock block doors. This SHOULD be done for you in most well-designed tilesets. I won't explain it here, but basically, you set up both halves (or thirds) of the door as lock blocks, which advance to the next combo when activated. So, make your next combo on each of these to the open door graphics.

Now that you have those set up, it's time for the grand scheme to come alive. Put the doors on both sides of the wall. Now, set up a room-state carry over from one screen to the other. Bascially, on screen A, input screen B's coordinates. On Screen B, input screen A's coordinates. That's really all there is to it! Whichever side Link goes through, both doors will open! Of course, make sure you check the "Secrets Don't Carry Over Box" so that your other puzzles will remain functional.

Edited by Ebola Zaire, 09 September 2007 - 01:43 PM.

#135 Evile

Evile

Dolphinslayer

• Members

Posted 09 September 2007 - 02:33 AM

Or you could click the secrets don't carry-over Ebola. icon_wink.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users