Three Crests

Photo

a poll regarding the music in Three Crests

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Poll: some very big changes.

Should the music of Three Crests be changed up?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Taco Chopper

Taco Chopper

protector of the darn forum

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 28 November 2023 - 12:18 AM

As quest development goes on, I've come to the conclusion that the approach to the soundtrack may need some changes. at the time of posting this, Three Crests uses music exclusively from the two Oracle games - specifically, the tracker files. While this is a faithful approach to the development and the Oracles aesthetic of the quest, there's two drawbacks to this:

• The soundtracks of these games are limited to what they can and can't offer in terms of musical themes, and
  • The repetition oh god the repetition. A handful of the Ages dungeon themes come to mind, but generally the songs tend to be the same 15 - 30 seconds on loop.

The biggest reason for this realisation is that I started working on Level 3 yesterday, and came to the realisation that having one of these dungeon themes on loop for the duration of the dungeon would be nothing short of pain. I wouldn't do it to myself, so why would I want to do it to anybody who'd play the quest?

As it stands I'm floating the idea of a hybrid soundtrack - i.e. some of the Oracle music remains in the quest, and some of it is replaced. The music that would remain would be pieces like the usual GB Zelda theme, the cave and house music, while the music that would stand to change would be most - if not all - of the dungeons currently.

I'm going to put this out to the wider community and see what you think via poll. Curious what people may or may not think overall as well.

#2 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 28 November 2023 - 12:49 AM

Would it hurt if Level 3 used multiple songs? GB songs in general are infamously short so maybe the solution isn't whether it should be GBZ music but should the dungeon have multiple songs for various situations.

• Taco Chopper and coolgamer012345 like this

#3 Aevin

Aevin

• Members

Posted 28 November 2023 - 01:00 AM

From what I've seen of your work, you're really skilled at capturing unique vibes through your aesthetics. Seems like it would be a shame not to have music specifically chosen to match. The Oracle games have some great music, but to me it seems far too limiting, and members here are so familiar with the songs that they could lose some of their impact. There's a wider world of midis out there that would let you tailor the music to your aesthetics so much better.

I vote for scrapping the Oracles music.

• Taco Chopper likes this

#4 Taco Chopper

Taco Chopper

protector of the darn forum

• Administrators

Posted 28 November 2023 - 01:24 AM

Would it hurt if Level 3 used multiple songs? GB songs in general are infamously short so maybe the solution isn't whether it should be GBZ music but should the dungeon have multiple songs for various situations.

Already responded to this on the Discord but absolutely! Would probably be looking to use at least 3-4 songs (two overworld, two interior).

From what I've seen of your work, you're really skilled at capturing unique vibes through your aesthetics. Seems like it would be a shame not to have music specifically chosen to match. The Oracle games have some great music, but to me it seems far too limiting, and members here are so familiar with the songs that they could lose some of their impact. There's a wider world of midis out there that would let you tailor the music to your aesthetics so much better.

I vote for scrapping the Oracles music.

Appreciate the kind words! I also think it's been like... 20 years of these songs too, right? Every quest influenced by those games has had that one midi of Skull Dungeon in it at some point because they've wanted to rock the H*CK out

The variety in GBS music is definitely appealing to me because it'll still retain the 8-bit, Gameboy aesthetic but it opens up to so much more choice to match said aesthetics.
  • jwex001 and Aevin like this

#5 jwex001

jwex001

Senior

• Members

Posted 28 November 2023 - 09:07 AM

While I like the memories a lot of the old GB midi's brings back, I agree with Aevin on the aspect of the aesthetics.  Finding the right music to match the dungeon will help in kicking the overall experience of an already awesome quest to the next level.  

#6 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 28 November 2023 - 07:56 PM

I'm gonna be the rare vote for keeping the Oracle music. At least for the majority of the quest. A couple new songs for the longer dungeons certainly wouldn't hurt but for the most part I think the music you're using is perfectly functional and suitable to the length of content presented. I suspect replacing all the minidungeon themes would get tiring and not be worth the effort involved. But then I'm not a music guy.

#7 xanadude

xanadude

heh

• Members

Posted 30 November 2023 - 02:38 PM

I say keep the recurring Oracle themes, but some variety for the more elaborate areas would be dope

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users