Some MMORPGSs...

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 NineLives

NineLives

Boom. Zoom. Dakota.

• Members

Posted 15 May 2007 - 10:33 PM

I've been insipred by something, and I am interested in playing MMOs again. I am downloading a private RO server right now. (Deliverance) and yeah. But I was wondering what other good MMORPGs are there?

I played:
Flyff
Ragnarok Online
Maple Story
Runescape
Gunbound (I know it's not an RPG)
Gunz (same)
Diablo II

any good MMOs you guys like to share?

#2 Stungun

Stungun

Warrior of Light

• Members

Posted 15 May 2007 - 11:11 PM

Maybe it'd be good for you to tell us about what you've listed here.

I don't think Diablo 2 counts as an MMO, since it also has a single player mode. Multiplayer is entirely optional.

Runescape...bleh. Boring. At least the last time I checked... As I've heard so many times, it should be called 'Run Escape'.

RO has a pretty good engine and people are doing well at cracking it open and customizing it, plus the official creators are still developing it's official features. There's been some pretty good RO projects, but at it's base fundementals there are some flaws... what servers I've been to always have a huge 'capitalism' problem, but then again that's common in MMOs. Never really gripped me for longer than a few months.

Rubies of Eventide, I tried that once at the reccomendation of Zemious. I was originally unimpressed, and still am to some extent; Laggy, jerky, and slow. It's difficult to navigate and incomplete, several features you can already see don't work. Plus, it's system demand is a bit high for my tastes.

Generally, I don't have the patience for MMOs. Usually they wind up having a capitalist economy; The rich have stuff and they sell it for absurd prices that you have to work for MONTHS to get that level of wealth with, or get incredibly lucky. The sad thing is, everyone else that matters has everything and are all maxed out, whereas you are pretty much seperated from the upper class by a wealth barrier that you practically need to sell your soul to get to the other side of.

I'd like to hear what Flyff and Maple Story are like though... I only browsed the Flyff site for a short time though, and from what I gleaned it seemed to look highly similar to RO in some regards. I'd even go so far as to say it looked like it was ripping them off.

However, if I'm totally wrong about this, let me know.

#3 NineLives

NineLives

Boom. Zoom. Dakota.

• Members

Posted 16 May 2007 - 01:45 AM

Yea, you're wrong
Flyff is the first game where you can... fly high in the sky, with a broom or a board.
It has many different classes that some are different from RO.
and it's cuter.

#4 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 16 May 2007 - 04:06 AM

QUOTE(Stungun @ May 15 2007, 11:11 PM) View Post

Generally, I don't have the patience for MMOs. Usually they wind up having a capitalist economy; The rich have stuff and they sell it for absurd prices that you have to work for MONTHS to get that level of wealth with, or get incredibly lucky. The sad thing is, everyone else that matters has everything and are all maxed out, whereas you are pretty much seperated from the upper class by a wealth barrier that you practically need to sell your soul to get to the other side of.

Some people are born with the skill of persuasion, my friend. Most people who play MMOs and become wealthy know how to talk people into anything. They could sell you an old boot if they sweet talked you into it.

In most occurrences its quite easy to make yourself the richest of the rich within an mmorpg without even leveling up. Thats what makes Runescape boring. You don't need any skill to make money. Just some good old fashioned sweet talking can get you wealthy in hours.

#5 Zemious

Zemious

Magicite: Bahamut

• Members

Posted 16 May 2007 - 07:03 AM

I can suggest a few games to you, one good one is "Rappelz".
I remember playing the open beta of LotRO, that was very fun.
Although, its not free-to-play.

#6 Majora

Majora

Unironic Marxist-Leninist

• Members

Posted 16 May 2007 - 07:08 AM

QUOTE(Stungun @ May 15 2007, 11:11 PM) View Post

Runescape...bleh. Boring. At least the last time I checked... As I've heard so many times, it should be called 'Run Escape'.

I don't think runescape is boring.... hell, I've been addicted to it since last july (Well, that and ZC)

And second, at the bold: Can you spell "United States of America"? or, the name of ANY and EVERY country with a capitalist economy? Besides, at one time, the rich powerful people most likely thought the same thing as you, but they continued, and guess what? They're rich and powerful.

As for maple story: In my opinion, it SUCKED. A Giant Side Scroller, where they tried to make id 3d-ish by adding "perspective" and "Depth" with all 2d things.

Edited by Majora's Wrath, 16 May 2007 - 07:10 AM.

#7 Daniel

Daniel

v My Godess

• Members

Posted 16 May 2007 - 07:11 AM

The only MMORPG I ever play is Endless Online. It runs perfectly on dial-up, which is the only reason I play it. Of course it has been a few weeks since I been on.

It is still in alpha stages so it lacks a storyline (though storylines are gay in my opinion).

#8 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 16 May 2007 - 08:29 AM

Guild Wars has a pretty good storyline, actually. It's .. I guess .. like any other MMORPG, but the focus is DEFINITELY on Combat, though in a way that you wouldn't really detect until much, much later in the game. There are NO usable items, except for things like dyes and the occasional holiday-related item that you can use for some reason, like beer or a lucky charm that removes XP Debt. You can have a maximum of eight skills in your skill bar, as well as being able to switch between one weapon at a time among a list of possible weapon combinations. You have a 16 (Or 24?) slot backpack, and can have a 5 slot bag, if you find one, and two other five or ten slot bags as well. Later, you can get yourself an account-wide "bank" type storage unit which is shared between all the characters on your account, which is a VERY nice thing to have, as that L1 character you just made can gain easy access to all that crazy nice stuff you found as your L20 character. Oh yeah, L20 is the maximum level whereas enemies can indeed go above and beyond that level in difficulty. The game is definitely designed to be played with friends though, although you can hire mercenaries easily enough to take with you through the areas. The only places you'll ever see other players are in towns and outposts, and when they're in a group with you in missions. All other areas are instanced, so you get your own copy to explore with your group, free of other players. It's really, really nice that way.

World Of Warcraft is just ... addicting. There is a *LOT* of depth to this game. It's definitely not just another hack 'n slash quest-taker. I suppose it's similar in nature to Ragnarok Online, in that you have professions and classes and skills and skill points, but it's a bit more liberal. Merely using your skills will increase them with no worries of losing a skill point. You can buy skills with money as the generally default way of getting them, rather than spending a "you-cannot-replace-this" skill point. Quests aren't always of the "kill this monster" type either. I once had to go down into this crater, grind up some piles of living decay, (Absolutely disgusting work, I swear...) and mash them into a pulp with a mortar and pestle, and come back to this guy to feed his panthers, and do it all in under ten minutes. It was a BIG Trench too. @ @.' Oh god. So you've got a maximum of two professions, (Professions like Skinning, Mining, Blacksmithing, Alchemy, Enchanting, Herbalism, Leatherworking, Tailoring, engineering, and in the expansion, Gem/Jewelcrafting.) You've also got multi purpose skills, (And you can learn all of these.) like Fishing, Cooking, First Aid, etc. The economy isn't bad either. You start off fairly slowly, but actually not even thaaat slowly. You can certainly afford everything that you need to if you're diligent and careful. I recommend starting off with a nice easy profession like skinning, and go around the easy regions killing and skinning all the critters you can find. (Cows, Sheep, Rabbits, and Deer.) and then, when you're a high enough level, you may want to invest in an actual profession so others can come to you with their needs and wants, and you can take orders from people whose professions don't match your own, so can't do the things that you can do. (I.e. they give you the items necessary along with some silver, you make the item for them, and give it back to them.)

I play on a free server for WoW. Haven't paid a penny for it. I actually run my own server, though I'm looking to put it online so one or two others can play too, though it'll only be on when my PC is on. icon_razz.gif No, I'm not telling you how to get to it. I can't.

Yea, you're wrong
Tact - Use it please.

#9 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 16 May 2007 - 02:12 PM

RuneScape started out as a little game and even after two years of its release I wouldn't have given too much chance for its later success (if I knew RS at that time) but the constant upgrades eventually made it into a pretty strong game. When I first played it, I was amazed and eventually couldn't resist to be a member. I don't play it nowadays to save real life money. icon_frown.gif

Another MMORPGS that I know of...
-Everquest. Never played it, but some like it.
-Anarchy Online. Same.
-Final Fantasy XI. Surely good, it's FF!
-Ultima Online. Surely good, it's Ultima!
-Warhammer Online. Never played it, some like it.

If everything else fails, click this.

#10 Deepfreeze

Deepfreeze

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 16 May 2007 - 10:48 PM

Kingdom of Loathing is probably the only MMORPG that I've played and really liked. Still, after being idle for 30 days, my account got deleted, so I don't play any more. If you can get your hands on one of those items that imbues you with a no-delete status (and I probably had enough money, just before ascending the first time; there are a variety and some can be a bit cheap), even better. I just can't commit to playing a game constantly, no matter how much I like it. Thus, no major MMOs for me.

#11 stpdjrk99

stpdjrk99

Enemy of the internet

• Members

Posted 16 May 2007 - 10:56 PM

I play Kingdom of loathing on occasion, mainly to keep my account alive in case I get back into the game, and just recently I got back into maple story and made a new character. Because my old one was just terrible. just terrible, I also played Space cowboy online a bit. It's by the same people as Flyff, but intstead of flying on brooms and crap, you fly in spaceships and crap. And get owned in PvP by playes with killing death rockets, but it's still kind of cool and it has pretty good controll, had to get rid of it though for other things, but it's free, so hooray.

#12 Krion

Krion

• Members

Posted 30 May 2007 - 03:00 PM

I'd recommend Scions of Fate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users