Photo

Really annoying

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Schwa

Schwa

Enjoy the Moment more. This strengthens Imagination.

• Members

Posted 29 July 2008 - 06:13 AM

Many of you who work with the bigger tilesets, especially DoR and Alestance's new "Pure Remembrance", might be able to relate to this.

Sometimes I'll open a Tileset that's bigger than the Quest I'm making, combos-wise. Then when I open my own Quest back up, save it, exit out of ZQ and open it back up, BAM, there's suddenly 10k+ extra combos tacked on to the end that I didn't add. Furthermore these combos are all garbled up tiles from random positions in the Tile Database.

Now the combos aren't really harmful at all, and they don't corrupt any part of the Quest itself, but... Do you notice how in 2.10, if you have 20,000 combos in a .QST, it takes about 30 seconds for ZQ to load the Quest into memory when starting it up? Well, try it with 50,000 garbage combos. It takes another 20 seconds or so at least. Which means now I have to look through nearly 200 combo pages and delete all the garbage combos that have been heaped on if I want ZQ to load my game at a decent speed each time.

IT'S SO FREAKING ANNOYING! icon_augh.gif

...There. That's all. I just needed to get that off my chest; this thread doesn't have much else of a point.

But perhaps some of you can relate? Those still into the whole 2.10 thing that is and haven't upgraded to the Dark Side... icon_xd.gif

#2 Joe Dirt

Joe Dirt

Wizard

• Members

Posted 29 July 2008 - 08:45 AM

Don't open a quest when one's already open. Always exit ZQuest when changing quests.

#3 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 29 July 2008 - 12:15 PM

2.5 doesn't have this problem. You should switch. *Waits to be mauled by angry 2.10 lovers*

But to be serious, I've never had this problem, because it's absent from 2.5, the only version and will (and for that matter, can) use.

#4 Schwa

Schwa

• Members

Posted 30 July 2008 - 07:44 AM

QUOTE(Joe Dirt @ Jul 29 2008, 06:45 AM) View Post

Don't open a quest when one's already open. Always exit ZQuest when changing quests.

Oh. I have mine set to "Auto-Open" in the Options menu, so whenever I close ZQ and open it back up, it loads the last Quest, Map and Screen that was open since I saved last.

Since I almost never switch .QSTs it's not much of an issue, but still...

(to Russ) Vista, right? Ugh. I feel for you. icon_dead.gif

#5 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 30 July 2008 - 11:26 AM

QUOTE(Schwa @ Jul 29 2008, 07:13 AM) View Post

...Alestance's new "Pure Remembrance"...

Akkabus's new "Pure Remembrance"

icon_razz.gif

And I never heard of this glitch before.

#6 Questwizard

Questwizard

The Moldorm Guy

• Members

Posted 30 July 2008 - 11:36 AM

It used to be known to hit me VERY often. I kept the developers puzzled for months with it till we finally figured out that that was what caused it. Best thing I could say is turn off the auto-open if you're planning on switching files.

#7 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 30 July 2008 - 11:59 AM

I remember the fuss about it, but the glitch never occurred to me. The glitch itself was something I missed.

#8 Schwa

Schwa

• Members

Posted 31 July 2008 - 07:04 AM

Okay. Okay. You know what? NOW you know what happened? The editor is scrambling my already EXISTING combos as well. What the hell! icon_aggravated.gif icon_augh.gif

It's like, I monkey with a few tile pages in the Tile Editor and move some stuff around, and before I know it, I got about half a combo page worth of tiles, segmented (three full Floor Border sets from PTUX), all with their source-tiles shifted 4 tiles sideways. I fixed it of course, but I have no idea if it'll happen again or what. icon_dead.gif

CastChaos warned me that when the .QST is over 4 MB, you start to seriously enter The Twilight Zone... icon_shiver.gif

#9 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

Tell all with glee, Argon's on PureZC

• Members

Posted 31 July 2008 - 07:23 AM

You can also switch to 2.5 for a while and turn the quest version into 2.10 version when you're finished, but that might screw up with your quest as well.

#10 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 31 July 2008 - 08:37 AM

I used to get this bug all the time. It seriously messed up a tremendous amount of important combos for me.

... not much to add here, I suppose.

#11 Koopa

Koopa

The child behind the turtle

• Members

Posted 31 July 2008 - 01:04 PM

If it's known what exactly causes the bug, it might be possible to release a 2.10.4 or whatever with just that fixed.

One would have to ask a developer really nicely - and hope that it's nothing too major. To me it sounds like some memory not cleanly getting zeroed out between saves.

#12 Shoelace

Shoelace

The Shaman of Sexy!

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 31 July 2008 - 01:46 PM

And hopefully it if there is a 2.10.4, maybe there will be a version Vista can work on. As *crys* I can't use 2.10 anymore. lol.

#13 Schwa

Schwa

• Members

Posted 01 August 2008 - 08:33 AM

QUOTE(Koopa @ Jul 31 2008, 11:04 AM) View Post

If it's known what exactly causes the bug, it might be possible to release a 2.10.4 or whatever with just that fixed.

One would have to ask a developer really nicely - and hope that it's nothing too major. To me it sounds like some memory not cleanly getting zeroed out between saves.

You're a dev, aren't you? Would you consider doing this for us?

Also there's a bug in 2.10.2 where if you're in Double Windowed Mode and you try to edit a tile it messes up your cursor. That's why I don't use it.

QUOTE(Shoelace @ Jul 31 2008, 11:46 AM) View Post

And hopefully it if there is a 2.10.4, maybe there will be a version Vista can work on. As *cries* I can't use 2.10 anymore. lol.

icon_frown.gif Sorry to hear that, bud...

Also, 2.10.4? I wasn't aware there was a 2.10.3. icon_ohmy.gif

#14 Zenith

Zenith

Old Guard

• Members

Posted 01 August 2008 - 09:11 AM

Yeah, I had it set up so I can use ZC 2.10.2 and ZQ 2.10.0, since ZQ 2.10.2 is bugged. I been using 2.5 a lot lately, not that there's anything wrong with 2.10...

#15 Schwa

Schwa

• Members

Posted 01 August 2008 - 09:37 AM

QUOTE(zmaster @ Aug 1 2008, 07:11 AM) View Post

Yeah, I had it set up so I can use ZC 2.10.2 and ZQ 2.10.0, since ZQ 2.10.2 is bugged. I been using 2.5 a lot lately, not that there's anything wrong with 2.10...

Wait, you can do that??

I need to know how you set this up. Is there anything besides unzipping the Player and not the Editor into the same folder as 2.10 and overwriting files?

Seriously, that Midi Bug is just laying waste to my patience... X_X

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users