Photo

Should I wait longer or use what I have? (2.10-2.5)

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Brandon1

Brandon1

Experienced Forumer

• Members

Posted 22 July 2008 - 07:08 PM

Ok, so I've been waiting for 2.5 to get to a final (non-beta) stage for nearly a year now (or over a year), and all I've done is practice, but never really made a full quest because I wanted to wait for 2.5 to be finished. Now, my patience is running out (just like the summer vacations - for me school starts in very early August) and I don't know whether I should do the quest in 2.10 with what we have now, or wait until 2.5 is finished. What has kept me from using 2.10 is the hope that 2.5 will hopefully get to a stable release soon.

So, should I use 2.10, wait for 2.5 or just use the betas and keep backups of the quest every time I edit it? Also, any suggestions on a tileset about the GBC colors as I tried one and it was very incomplete, I want my quest to look like the GBC games.

Thanks!

#2 Joe Dirt

Joe Dirt

Wizard

• Members

Posted 22 July 2008 - 07:19 PM

I suggest you go ahead and make a quest in 2.10 for practice. The experience will be useful later when you make your next quest.

#3 Aslion

Aslion

End Fascism

• Members

Posted 22 July 2008 - 07:30 PM

For the GBC graphics, use Akkabus's EZGBZ set, it's the best one so far and you may not have it.

#4 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 22 July 2008 - 10:13 PM

I'm a huge hypocrite when I say this, but you should really begin in 2.10. You'll be pulling hairs if you try to start with 2.5- I've been using it for well over 8 months and some of the things are still confusing.

#5 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 23 July 2008 - 11:11 AM

If you feel you have a good understanding of pretty much everything in 2.10, then yes, use 2.5.
Otherwise, stick to 2.10 until you can cope with all of the features.

#6 Rocksfan13

Rocksfan13

Looks best in Blue

• Members

Posted 23 July 2008 - 11:24 AM

Start in 2.10. This way you learn everything that 2.10 is and was. Then when 2.5 is released as a stable release, upgrade. This way you won't have too much to learn.

#7 Brandon1

Brandon1

Experienced Forumer

• Members

Posted 23 July 2008 - 02:43 PM

Ok, so recently I upgraded to Vista (new PC) and I just noticed that ZC2.10 won't open in Vista at all, even when trying different compatibility mode settings.

Guess I'll have to wait for 2.5...

#8 Schwa

Schwa

Enjoy the Moment more. This strengthens Imagination.

• Members

Posted 23 July 2008 - 02:50 PM

Easy solution. Uninstall Vista and reinstall XP.

You'll thank me down the road when your programs of any kind actually start to work.

Also...
I'm a huge hypocrite when I say this, but you should really begin in 2.10. You'll be pulling hairs if you try to start with 2.5- I've been using it for well over 8 months and some of the things are still confusing.

Respect++. icon_wink.gif

#9 Brandon1

Brandon1

Experienced Forumer

• Members

Posted 23 July 2008 - 03:02 PM

QUOTE(Schwa @ Jul 23 2008, 01:50 PM) View Post

Easy solution. Uninstall Vista and reinstall XP.

You'll thank me down the road when your programs of any kind actually start to work.

Also...

Respect++. icon_wink.gif

How about no? I'm tired of people blaming Vista for almost everything, I used to think it was a bad OS but now that I got to try it, I noticed that it's actually by far more secure than XP (heck, with UAC on there's almost no chance you'll get infected - unless you're extremely dumb) plus the Compatibility Mode has allowed me to run many XP-only programs except so far, ZC.

Also, ZC 2.5 works perfectly.

#10 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 23 July 2008 - 03:13 PM

I think you should get 2.10.2 and ZCLauncher, THAT may work.

#11 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 23 July 2008 - 03:27 PM

QUOTE(Brandon1 @ Jul 23 2008, 12:43 PM) View Post

Ok, so recently I upgraded to Vista (new PC) and I just noticed that ZC2.10 won't open in Vista at all, even when trying different compatibility mode settings.

Guess I'll have to wait for 2.5...

Get ZC 2.10.2, then right click on ZC, and click "run as administrator". That will fix all you're problems.

#12 Xiion

Xiion

Senior

• Members

Posted 23 July 2008 - 07:29 PM

Ill have to try that russ, been meaning to get 2.10 running on vista for a while now...

But to address the topic, you could do what I did. I started in 2.10 (when I was still running XP). and then over the course of my first quest, upgraded to 2.5 (comp with XP died) Didn't really use any of the 2.5 goodies 'till even later in the quest making. Since both versions offer the basics/essentials, it doesn't really matter which version you use. Just gotta know which features are considered 'advanced' and not use those 'till your ready...

The only real problem with 2.5 in my eyes is the lack of documentation, especially for the newer features. Hopefully that will change in the future, but right now it makes learning a bit more painful.

I've not had a major problem with either version (discounting platform issues) and have been lucky not to have any game destroying bugs/errors. So... I suppose my answer would be, "go with the one that works for you, but start with the basics regardless."

...And Vista's not bad... its not good... its just... meh....

#13 Solarrain4

Solarrain4

The Blurred Line In-Between

• Members

Posted 25 July 2008 - 12:28 PM

It's totally up to you. If you use 2.5, though, start out by learning the bare basics and then try something with that, and then once you get the hang of everything, move to the more advanced stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users