Uh oh. Rant time.

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Dr. Mutagen

Dr. Mutagen

Even in the future, nothing works!

• Members

Posted 16 July 2008 - 06:40 PM

You know, I just don't get why people feel the need to constantly pester the ZC developers for a stable release. More importantly, I don't get why people continually accuse the developers of not doing their jobs when a few annoying bugs pop up. They're not the all-powerful tech gods that some people seem to think they are. They're just as human as the rest of us, and thus, are prone to making mistakes. Also keep in mind that they're not even making a single buck out of working on ZC. It's a free-time activity thrown into the jumbled pool of a little something called...ahem...a personal life. You should all be glad that they continue to diligently work on it.

Also, Beta != Full Release

Here's a little something from our good friend Wikipedia:

Beta version software is likely to be useful for internal demonstrations and previews to select customers, but unstable and not yet ready for release. Some developers refer to this stage as a preview, a prototype, a technical preview (TP) or as an early access. As the second major stage in the release lifecycle, following the alpha stage,

Bottom line: If you're a beta tester for ZC, there's a 99.99999999999% chance that the version you're testing is going to have at least a couple things in it that don't work properly. If you went into beta testing expecting the devs to get it right the first time, beta testing obviously isn't for you, and as the old saying goes, "If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen." I should probably mention that the versions we've been working with lately are alphas, so there's even less reason to believe that they would be perfect.

Don't get me wrong. I'm just as eager for a stable release of ZC as the next guy, but constantly bickering about it isn't going to make it come out faster.

#2 Exate

Exate

Deified

• Members

Posted 16 July 2008 - 06:47 PM

Thanks for explaining this to everybody, Curtis.

Though, as bad as it may sound, I don't think many are going to take this into consideration. It's like the community is full of a bunch of spoiled children. icon_frown.gif

I even recall the later betas providing a popup warning about bugs and instability. I guess that doesn't get the point across. icon_shrug.gif

Edited by Exate, 16 July 2008 - 06:48 PM.

#3 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 16 July 2008 - 07:03 PM

I have summarized that first paragraph very many times, and more often than not, it leads back to the time devoted to buggy builds of the people using them.

That's incredible. The two are unrelated.

#4 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 16 July 2008 - 07:29 PM

QUOTE(Exate @ Jul 16 2008, 07:47 PM) View Post

Though, as bad as it may sound, I don't think many are going to take this into consideration. It's like the community is full of a bunch of spoiled children. icon_frown.gif

I even recall the later betas providing a popup warning about bugs and instability. I guess that doesn't get the point across. icon_shrug.gif

Yes, current betas and alphas have a warning screen.

I'm currently not using ZC until a stable version comes out. I'll be patient, considering I have other things I want to do during this summer. But, yea, people require a chill pill.

#5 Schwa

Schwa

Enjoy the Moment more. This strengthens Imagination.

• Members

Posted 16 July 2008 - 08:20 PM

"I wholeheartedly endorse this product and/or service."

Haha, that's something they say on the forums of the MMORPG I used to play. You get what it means. icon_razz.gif

Kudos to you, Mutagen. I agree. Also, 2.10 is cooler than 2.5 in a lot of ways anyway, so it's stupid how everyone's all OMG SCRIPTING and OMG FFCs and OMG ITEM EDITOR when 2.10 by itself is almost limitless if you're creative enough.

*prepares himself for the fire storm headed his way*

#6 sigtau

sigtau

*sip*

• Members

Posted 16 July 2008 - 08:52 PM

I don't think people realize that 2.10 was as rushed as it was, (even though I stepped in just before 2.10.2 was released, I still know of its rushed qualities) and I'm sure they've seen the bugs caused by a rushed release. Why can't people take into consideration that making an amazing game engine like Zelda Classic, or off topic for a bit, even Stencyl, which falls about into the same category, takes time, and lots of it? And we all know that the ZC Devs don't have the "lots" of time that is required to make a release that can come as quickly as they want.

...so it's stupid how everyone's all OMG SCRIPTING and OMG FFCs and OMG ITEM EDITOR when 2.10 by itself is almost limitless if you're creative enough...

That's such a true statement. It takes true imagination for a real game to take form. How do you think The Legend of Zelda, Super Mario Bros., Pokemon, or even Metroid came to be?

Imagination.

Get some, people.

Edited by TheMasterSwordsman, 16 July 2008 - 08:54 PM.

#7 Ricky of Kokiri

Ricky of Kokiri

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 16 July 2008 - 09:13 PM

My imagination demanded more than one warp tile per screen, and that sloppy "instant-warp to a black screen" trick didn't cut it.

#8 Schwa

Schwa

Enjoy the Moment more. This strengthens Imagination.

• Members

Posted 16 July 2008 - 09:43 PM

QUOTE(Ricky of Kokiri @ Jul 16 2008, 07:13 PM) View Post
My imagination demanded more than one warp tile per screen, and that sloppy "instant-warp to a black screen" trick didn't cut it.

That's too bad. What I say to that is, you'll never be a master of 2.5 unless you can become a master of 2.10.

And that goes for the rest of you guys too. All those of you who start making a 2.5 quest before you even finish a 2.10 quest... And 2.5 isn't even a full version, so it'll never go onto the database for a while... Real pity, if you ask me. icon_confused.gif

The basics! It's all about the basics!

#9 Ricky of Kokiri

Ricky of Kokiri

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 16 July 2008 - 09:54 PM

I understand that, Schwa. That's why I'm using 2.11.

I'm beginning to detect elitism in your posts. Is that intentional? icon_unsettled.gif

#10 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 16 July 2008 - 10:03 PM

QUOTE(Schwa @ Jul 16 2008, 10:43 PM) View Post

The basics aren't necessarily what people want. I, for one, don't want to use a platform thats very restricting. I know, I'm asking for a lot when I say that, but, we are want more than we can chew, sometimes. icon_shrug.gif

#11 AntonJ3000

AntonJ3000

Junior

• Members

Posted 17 July 2008 - 03:25 AM

I'm changing from 1.92 to 2.5 when it becomes a full version/stable.
I like the enemy editor.

#12 sigtau

sigtau

*sip*

• Members

Posted 17 July 2008 - 10:05 AM

You know what, Schwa? That post screams "I'M A STRUCTURED PERSON!" to me. And that says to me that you're a good quest maker at that. I agree with you wholeheartedly. Again.

#13 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 17 July 2008 - 10:33 AM

That's too bad. What I say to that is, you'll never be a master of 2.5 unless you can become a master of 2.10.

And that goes for the rest of you guys too. All those of you who start making a 2.5 quest before you even finish a 2.10 quest... And 2.5 isn't even a full version, so it'll never go onto the database for a while... Real pity, if you ask me. icon_confused.gif

Funny, I pretty much know mostly everything about 2.10 because of an early 2.11 beta, I believe beta 10b. I didn't use a single 2.11 feature in the quest I built with it. The quest could've been made in 2.10 and it would've been the exact same thing... but new features may tempt others >_>

Needless to say I did start on 2.10, I knew a few things, had enough experience to create my first classic quest, unfortunately never finished, due to the laptop crashing... ahh, Islands of Courage, will we ever meet again? Anyway, learned everything from layering to cutscenes in 2.11, doing them the 2.10 way icon_razz.gif due to the fact that my computer did not like 2.10 for a long time.

Edited by Moonwhisper, 17 July 2008 - 10:41 AM.

#14 sigtau

sigtau

*sip*

• Members

Posted 17 July 2008 - 10:41 AM

And sadly, they tempt me. I plan on using "Save as 2.10..." if need be, since I doubt I'll be using 2.11 features in any SotW or tile submissions since that's all I really do. If I make a quest, I'll revisit the "quick and dirty quest" idea.

#15 Rocksfan13

Rocksfan13

Looks best in Blue

• Members

Posted 17 July 2008 - 11:27 AM

Unfortunately, save as 2.10 does not work. In fact, I wish they would take that option out. It was put there in 2.11 as a quick fix, but never removed when 2.5 started rolling along.

As for those of you yelling at Schwa for sounding elitist, stop. It is a form of trolling and will not be tolerated.

In case anyone hasn't noticed, the change log is always being updated. So, 2.5 is still being worked on. I'd hate to see it rushed out just because people are pushy. Let it go. It'll come out when the devs think it's stable enough to be a full version.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users