• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

#31 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

thepsynergist

• Members

Posted 01 November 2015 - 10:56 PM

OH MY GOD, I FORGOT!

People that chew with their mouth open.  Seriously, learn to chew with your mouth closed.  Yes, that means gum, too!

#32 KingPridenia

KingPridenia

King of Pridenia, Safehaven of the LGBTQ

• Members

Posted 01 November 2015 - 11:12 PM

Mostly in relation to forums in general:

-Using "lmfao" as a way to act superior to another. Seriously, people use it in an "I'm better than you" way.

-People calling you an idiot or a troll just because your opinion differs from theirs.

With general internet usage, I get so sick and tired of all these ill-informed comments where people use stereotypes in the most negative light possible. For instance, someone uploads a clip of a girl on Family Feud giving poor answers. Immediately, it's "lol dumb blonde" or comments that I won't even mention because they are most definitely NOT acceptable here. One of the worst was a clip of a man named Chase Sampson giving a wrong answer on Who Wants to be a Millionaire? The comments are flooded with idiotic comments like "what a retard" and "his parents probably disowned him after that".

Probably the ONE type of comment I hate most though is when people misuse "autism/autistic". On the internet, it seems 95% of the usage is negative and used to imply someone is "mentally retarded". Thing is, most people with high functioning autism are probably more intelligent than the average person. Just because they are a bit awkward socially or a bit different DOES NOT FREAKING MEAN THEY ARE MENTALLY RETARDED!!! It's really bad on videos where someone gets angry and comments call the person "retarded" or "autistic".

In general though, idiotic stereotyping just because a crowd does it is pathetic. How about actually learning about someone different than you before going around treating them like DIRT!? I'm not just talking about autism; I'm talking any stereotype, especially once the racial slurs start kicking in. Just sad people won't give anyone else a chance anymore.

• Moonbread, Eddy, Tree and 4 others like this

#33 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 02 November 2015 - 10:24 AM

Probably the ONE type of comment I hate most though is when people misuse "autism/autistic". On the internet, it seems 95% of the usage is negative and used to imply someone is "mentally retarded". Thing is, most people with high functioning autism are probably more intelligent than the average person. Just because they are a bit awkward socially or a bit different DOES NOT FREAKING MEAN THEY ARE MENTALLY RETARDED!!! It's really bad on videos where someone gets angry and comments call the person "retarded" or "autistic".

I cannot be happier to agree with this, it sucks to see people treat others differently just because they have a disability.

In addition to the above, a couple others I find annoying:

• People who think their opinions are better than everyone else and treat their opinions as facts.
  • People who think they are better than everyone else.
  • Misusing memes. It no longer is funny when a meme is used incorrectly.
  • When people constantly bug me to do something and not be patient about it. Asking once in a while is cool, but not everyday.

• KingPridenia, Dark Ice Dragon and Logos like this

#34 Anarchy_Balsac

Anarchy_Balsac

Quest Builder

• Members

Posted 02 November 2015 - 09:23 PM

Prequelitis is a pet peeve of mine if that counts, and interquelitis.

#35 MarinaraSauce

MarinaraSauce

Magus

• Members

Posted 02 November 2015 - 10:13 PM

Prequelitis is a pet peeve of mine if that counts, and interquelitis.

Can I counterbalance it with this:

#36 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 02 November 2015 - 10:22 PM

One thing I will never get over is people swearing excessively. At my college, people do this so often, and it just bothers me so much. I don't want to hear those things. (I'm one of those rare people who will never actually swear in real life) They're just gross in my eyes.

That and blasting music out loud, and cracking your fingers/back/whatever. EW!

Edited by Jared, 02 November 2015 - 10:29 PM.

#37 Anarchy_Balsac

Anarchy_Balsac

Quest Builder

• Members

Posted 02 November 2015 - 10:26 PM

<insert link to a video we're all familiar with>

Except, that IS prequelitis.  LTTP is Zelda 0 or -1, depending on how you count, and OoT is a prequel to THAT.

I think some people just lump prequelitis and interquelitis in with sequelitis, but there IS a difference.  Prequelitis and interquelitis can have the same problems of forced production, but also have MUCH greater potential for plot holes and wallbangers.

Edited by Anarchy_Balsac, 02 November 2015 - 10:28 PM.

#38 David

David

Fallen leaves... adorn my night.

• Administrators

Posted 02 November 2015 - 10:27 PM

(I'm one of those rare people who will never actually swear in real life)

I'm the same way, actually. If anyone here has had a Skype call or something like that with me in the past, you'd know that I never swear. Cuss words just aren't in my speaking vocabulary.

Despite that, I'm still okay with other people saying cuss words partly because I've gotten so used to it by now (practically 90% of the students at my high school swear).

#39 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 02 November 2015 - 10:36 PM

I personally dislike that video. It's very flawed and far from his best. But I digress, this reminds me of something that annoys me: when people use their nostalgia to degrade other peoples' nostalgia. The whole "old games were the bomb, and casual gaming kids ruined gaming forever" nonsense.

One thing I will never get over is people swearing excessively.

I honestly get annoyed too. But sadly, I have a bad habit of letting a swear out every now and then. :|

• Tree and Jared like this

#40 Anarchy_Balsac

Anarchy_Balsac

Quest Builder

• Members

Posted 02 November 2015 - 10:42 PM

I personally dislike that video. It's very flawed and far from his best. But I digress, this reminds me of something that annoys me: when people use their nostalgia to degrade other peoples' nostalgia. The whole "old games were the bomb, and casual gaming kids ruined gaming forever" nonsense.

If it's based exclusively on Nostalgia I agree.  If it's based on something more tangible, such as lack of microtransactions and such, I'd say I disagree.

I actually think linking that video on a Zelda forum is extremely unwise, even though I liked it myself.  It's highly contreversial, and people who agree with it are better off stating what they think, sans youtube link.

#41 Bill Nye the Russian Spy

Bill Nye the Russian Spy

БИЛЛ БИЛЛ БИЛЛ БИЛЛ

• Members

Posted 02 November 2015 - 10:46 PM

As someone who actually does have high-functioning autism, I couldn't agree more.

Also, confirmation bias, especially when it's connected to nasty stereotypes - Islamophobes and the "vaccines cause autism" crowd come to mind.

• Jared and KingPridenia like this

#42 Norzan

Norzan

Adept

• Members

Posted 02 November 2015 - 10:47 PM

The "Music/Video games/movies/whatever used to be much better in the past but today's music/video games/movies/whatever is crap".

This is clearly biased nostalgia and it's a big pet peeve of mine. It's like some people forget that there's great current music, video games, movies and other stuff, stuff that it's just as good.

Edited by Norzan, 02 November 2015 - 10:49 PM.

• Rambly, Shane, Jared and 1 other like this

#43 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 02 November 2015 - 10:50 PM

If it's based exclusively on Nostalgia I agree.  If it's based on something more tangible, such as lack of microtransactions and such, I'd say I disagree.

I hate microtransactions myself. I was referring to nostalgia itself. For example, the whole "games were better in my days" kind of rambling.

Also I myself hate when autism, homosexuality, etc. are used as insults. But I already mentioned that under "bigotry".

#44 Bill Nye the Russian Spy

Bill Nye the Russian Spy

БИЛЛ БИЛЛ БИЛЛ БИЛЛ

• Members

Posted 02 November 2015 - 10:53 PM

The "Music/Video games/movies/whatever used to be much better in the past but today's music/video games/movies/whatever is crap".

This clearly biased nostalgia and it's a big pet peeve of mine. It's like some people forget that there's great current music, video games movies and other stuff, stuff that it's just as good or even better.

I think part of the problem there may be that they have the causal arrow in reverse. It's not that old stuff is better - it's that better stuff sticks around for a long time. A few decades from now, the crap we have today will be forgotten about, and there will be people who point to what's left and call this a better time than then.

But yes, nostalgia is likely a big part of it, too. And yes, it's frustrating.

Edited by Bill Nye the Russian Spy, 02 November 2015 - 10:54 PM.

• Rambly likes this

#45 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 03 November 2015 - 12:01 AM

cracking your fingers/back/whatever. EW!

For me, it NEEDS to be done. Like, I'll go crazy if I don't. It's like I can't have air in my bones, because I can almost sense it when I'm able to crack them again... I wonder if that's a tic of some kind...

---

I don't like it when people tell me I need a haircut. I'll decide when my hair is too long, thank you very much. On a similar note, having long hair, and taking care of said long hair does not make you gay. Liking men makes you gay/bisexual/whatever other term you want to use, and nothing more. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users