Photo

Custom Background Palette Problem.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Plissken

Plissken

What's with these homies dissing our girls?

• Members

Posted 05 August 2007 - 09:21 PM

I made a background for either my title screen or subscreen and when I try to put it in ZQ the colors are messed up because of lack of the right palettes. Also please do not take this picture. I worked hard and don't feel like it being ripped.

Original Picture made from photoshop:
IPB Image

Now when I go to grab the palette from the picture by using Quest -> Graphics -> Palettes I use a level palette because there are 5 lines of colors in the palettes. And when I do that I get this screen:
IPB Image

Now the picture in the background is what I want it to look like and when I grab every line of colors for the palette I can never duplicate that picture. It seems that with all the colors I get from the lines I can't make it look right. This is the best I came up with but it still isn't what ZQ showed when it showed me all the colors in the 2nd picture:
IPB Image

#2 Freedom

Freedom

Warrior

• Members

Posted 05 August 2007 - 09:54 PM

You're going to have to reduce it to 16 colors to get it in Zquest.

#3 Plissken

Plissken

• Members

Posted 05 August 2007 - 10:00 PM

I thought about that but then I saw it on the grab the palette screen and I was happy with it. Is there no where to get it to look like that without reducing it?

#4 Freedom

Freedom

Warrior

• Members

Posted 05 August 2007 - 11:08 PM

I know of no way short of changing it to 256 once it's in there and then recoloring the whole thing.
A monumental task.

#5 Plissken

Plissken

• Members

Posted 05 August 2007 - 11:27 PM

Yeah, I just decided to change to to 16 colors like you said and it still looks very good. Thanks.

#6 Freedom

Freedom

Warrior

• Members

Posted 06 August 2007 - 12:08 AM

When you're grabbing a tile or tiles, you can press r and it will match to closest color in the cset you have on screen at the time, I look to the day when this will work with 256 as well, but I don't think it's possible yet.
ShadowTiger would probably know for sure if it is or isn't, he keeps up with that sort of thing better than I do.
I seem to be always a day late and a dollar short finding out about all the new secrets in there.

#7 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 06 August 2007 - 12:16 AM

I have an idea... leave the x blocks the way they are... but maybe you can find a really good background, and then parts of the background will appear where the x blocks are.

#8 Mr. Pimpy

Mr. Pimpy

• Members

Posted 06 August 2007 - 12:21 AM

It's very simple, 16 colors and hardly any quality loss:
IPB Image
There's a option in Photoshop called Index Color Mode. It allows you to select a maximum palette, just set it to 16 and turn dithering off. icon_wink.gif

Edited by Mr. Pimpy, 06 August 2007 - 12:22 AM.

#9 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 06 August 2007 - 02:39 AM

Or, if you want to KEEP all the colour info, just use this method:

1) Make 5 different versions of the same picture.
2) Open up the colour palette in PS.
3) For the first picture, make EVERY colour apart from the first row that pink colour.
4) For the second, do the same to every row EXCEPT the second row, and so on for the other 3 rows.
5) ... actually, you'd have to fiddle with the palette even more so, since you could only have one transparent colour show up. If you reduce the image to 32 colours this method would work fine icon_razz.gif

(BTW that image is too big to fit on a single screen anyway)

#10 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 06 August 2007 - 07:14 AM

or, you could just grab the palletes and leech them in 8-bit mode icon_heh.gif

Well, actually, that might be tougher icon_sweat.gif

Edited by Master_of_Power, 06 August 2007 - 07:15 AM.

#11 Plissken

Plissken

• Members

Posted 06 August 2007 - 10:00 AM

Yeah the first idea from me was 8 bit mode and then I just couldn't get anywhere with it and it seemed really difficult. I just went with 16 colors like freedom said up at the top and it works fine. And to Noel, It fits fine the way I want it to. I spent a lot of time getting it that way, Here it is on a screen on ZQ and I'm happy with the spacing and the coloring:
IPB Image

Thanks to everyone for the help.

Edited by Plissken, 06 August 2007 - 10:00 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users