Photo

Battle the Scragnoth.

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Gleeok

Gleeok

It's dangerous to dough alone, bake this.

• Members

Posted 06 May 2012 - 03:17 AM

I started making a quest. Figure everyone else has got one of these threads. Why not me. icon_smile.gif

Status: Levels 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, Goriya Temple, Moblin Hideout, Tower of Magi, 3 mini-dungeons, 1 bonus dungeon done. Level 4 suspended until beta testing. (balancing issue)
In progress: Level 7, 8.

Update: Screenshots:

Gleeoks like to hang out in groups. ..Some even like to walk around and ride things.
IPB Image
Level 2 + a really long thing.
IPB Image . IPB Image
Level 3. Invasion of Goriya town. /reference
IPB Image
There will be wizzrobes...
IPB Image . IPB Image
King Goriya is back and pissed.
IPB Image . IPB Image
Want the wand early in the game? No chance for those pants.
IPB Image . IPB Image
Mini-Dungeon Madness. ...Hey what happens when the time runs out?!
IPB Image . IPB Image . IPB Image

Story: The remaining population of the planet Hyrulia has been driven underground by an unknown force. The year is unknown, past is forgotten, and resources are dwindling. For 400 years children are told that an entity known as the "Scragnoth" has devastated the surface of the planet and cannot be killed at the hands of man. Time is running out. There is only option left: Make your way to the surface and battle the Scragnoth. Dun-Dun-Dun.

Tileset: It will use a combination of an updated Demo set recolored using DoR palettes (It's very colorful!). Also may contain some tiles from God knows where. I will make this available for download at various intervals/updates so you can check it out, critique it, or whatever you like.

Difficulty: Original Description: This will be the easiest game I've ever attempted so it should be beatable by most. icon_smile.gif However it will still be challenging. I'm going for something akin to James Quest 3, which is the next logical step. By design though, it can be made easier depending on what character you use. (Some will have more hearts than others)
Newer Description: It's Hard! icon_razz.gif But still easier than my other games. It will be possible to beat without dying but it will be hard. **Note* Nowhere near Armageddon Quest or anything. It will be FAIR to the player, and I'm trying to balance it for average players also.

Gameplay: Instead of mucking with the core Zelda engine and scripting everything from scratch this time, I'm going to utilize plenty of the built-in 2.5 features. The main focus from scripts will not be reinventing anything but simply augmenting existing functionality. Consequently, this means that the scripts may be useful for other projects, so I will (try to) keep them organized and available also. Besides bosses, the main factor which will affect gameplay is selecting a character, each of which will have their own secondary abilities.

Playable Characters: (These may be subject to change, but right now there are three. I'm thinking of capping it at four though.) These are:
Fighter:
-Special Abilities: High HP. Max weapon/armor abilities. Low MP.

Assassin (aka Tonberry):
-Special Abilities: Low HP. Very fast. Can teleport through walls and solid objects (How does he do that anyways?!) Has run ability.
-Special Attack 1: Backstab, or impaler thrust depending on distance to enemy.
-Special Attack 2: Smokebomb. Hey, he's a Ninja. Turn around, now he's behind you!
-Special Move: ????

WarMage:
-Can use normal equipment and some magic spells.
-Special Abilities: Med. HP. Magic.
-Special Attacks: ????
-Special Move: Spiritual Bifurcation. Can split into two characters to attack the enemy for double the damage! Double you excitement, double your fun. yada yada gum. icon_razz.gif
*Note* based off this script here: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=V_M4-1NHd4c

Design:

This will use NES styled dungeons for at least the first 8 levels and you will have to collect triforce fragments for at least 8 levels in order to unlock the sealed gate. After that it could get interesting...

Each level will have at least one boss (heart container), one miniboss (boss key), another miniboss(magic container upgrade), yet another miniboss (bomb upgrade), and one creative and totally awesome Gleeok battle icon_twisted.gif
There will also be three extra item levels for the: Boomerang, Arrow, and Magic Sword. These will be hard but will make the rest of the game easier.

Because different characters means that character 'A' can go where character 'B' cannot, this breaks most ZC quests ever made right off the bat. (Seriously, some character abilities are just ridiculous.) This means that sequence breaking is important! The path through dungeons, order of levels, and even item gathering can be different for each character. Therefore I'm trying to make this very open-ended as far as completion order. It also means that dungeons will play out differently for each character also.

No doubt I am going to have lots of wacky ideas to try and add in the future. We'll see how it turns out. I honestly have no idea. icon_wacky.gif

[EDIT] Download Here: http://www.purezc.co...o...4712&st=15#

#2 Thomas G. House

Thomas G. House

Senior

• Members

Posted 06 May 2012 - 03:54 AM

Wow, this sounds great! Hope to see more soon. Also, the boss looks good![/sarcasm]

(Gotta love the waffle map)

#3 Gleeok

Gleeok

• Members

Posted 07 May 2012 - 03:02 AM

QUOTE(L L L L L LINK @ May 6 2012, 01:54 AM) View Post

Wow, this sounds great! Hope to see more soon. Also, the boss looks good![/sarcasm]

I don't understand if you meant your entire post to be sarcastic, or only the part about the boss room...

Anyway, renamed level 2 to level 3. It turns out that old habits die hard, and by that I mean level 2 turned out to be waay harder than I intended. (Proof I am really trying to make a more balanced and easier quest here. It's true.) Finished level 2 also. There's another one done. icon_smile.gif

Decided to not only introduce new enemy and item types with each level, but also some concepts that will need to be utilized later on when things get more difficult. For level 2 these are:

Enemy Magnet Tiles: In some places some enemies are confined to certain colored floor tiles. They cannot leave this area, so the player has a distinct 'terrain' advantage over them. This can make some hard battles very easy when they are first introduced. But of course, as always, this may be turn out to be more and more insidious as it is used in later levels. icon_twisted.gif

Crystal Rooms: (I have not thought of a better term for this yet) Rooms may contain a crystal that emits an aura. These 'auras' Have either a localized effect, or a global effect. Let me explain: Global means the effect spans the entire dungeon (or area of it), whereas local means the aura is localized to that room. Also, auras will effect players and enemies equally! As you can imagine the first time you encounter this is in LV2 as a healing effect where every npc on that screen regenerates HP. Hmm ...Perhaps there is a way to swap some crystals for other crystals. +.+

#4 Gleeok

Gleeok

• Members

Posted 15 May 2012 - 03:47 AM

Update: Edited first post. Added screenshots. Quest has a name and story now.

Finished some neat enemy spawner and miniboss spawning scripts. For built-in ZC bosses you can no longer do the "kill one and next time you enter the screen it stays dead" trick. You have to kill them ALL in one go now for the room to be cleared! icon_twisted.gif

Also, normally you'd have a series of screens that don't do much except offer different types of fights in a row. Well the enemy-spawner script is "smart" and knows if there are other enemy-spawners on the screen, so they can be used together in different ways. This allows screen condensing in some spots, so to speak. ..Hmm.. A possible one screen dungeon???

Just-for-fun note about this quest: It has 20 different types of Darknuts and 14 types of Wizzrobes already! icon_rolleyes.gif (Well, I had to test the editor so...yeah.)

I don't know how often I am able to make progress on the quest, but I will try and update when possible.

#5 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:41 AM

It's a really interesting concept, particularly being able to go through the dungeons in a different order depending on which character you go with. That'll definitely add to the replay value. icon_thumbsup.gif

I'll definitely be on the look out for more updates to this. icon_smile.gif

#6 Gleeok

Gleeok

• Members

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:42 AM

Update: Have at least 6 dungeons done now. icon_smile.gif Added some more screenshots. I would put a demo up but I am using the development build and the quest will not play in RC3, so just going to have to wait.

New wacky stuff:
-New enemy types.
-Sword direction fix script (sort of combining stab and slash into one thing that can be done manually...I guess. [think better attack control over Z1])
-Finished the ninja character. Four words. He.Is.Bad.Ass. icon_razz.gif

So far the controls I have set up (for the ninja) are:
A,B,L,R still do the good ol' ABLR stuff.
Ex2 (R2) - hold to run, or hold and press A to do secondary sword strike/backstab.
Ex 1(L2) - Special ability/ (teleport)
Ex3 - (Smoke bomb) Allows you to escape to any previously visited square.
Ex4 - ??? I don't know yet. Shiruken maybe?

Anyone want to suggest better controls or more abilites? - feel free.

Should have another character done by Level 8 I think. Probably should see if anyone wants to test it at that time also.

#7 Din

Din

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 25 May 2012 - 01:23 AM

A new Gleeok quest? Sweet. I've gotta hone my skills.

Also:

"...first 8 levels..."

Very interesting how you say this.

#8 Gleeok

Gleeok

• Members

Posted 27 May 2012 - 02:49 AM

QUOTE(Din @ May 24 2012, 11:23 PM) View Post

A new Gleeok quest? Sweet. I've gotta hone my skills.

Hi Din! Haha yeah old habits die hard don't they. icon_smile.gif Good news is that it is /supposedly/ going to be much easier than the other stuff I've done with ZC (I'm planning on cramming the completely ridiculous enemy scripting stuff in the bonus dungeon. Which will be huge) How well that turns out depends on how many angry beta testers I find. ^_^

Anyhoo, New Level done, check this out: It's time to play WHEEL. OF. GLEEOK. (Applause.... .applause..) icon_omg.gif icon_awesome.gif

IPB Image
(Don't mind the black squares. they're for debugging only)

Round and round it goes!!! icon_bounce.gif icon_bounce.gif icon_bounce.gif icon_bounce.gif icon_bounce.gif icon_bounce.gif icon_bounce.gif

For the curious: How it works is you can create a "WheelOfEnemy" of up to 32 enemies on the screen, and they slowly start to organize and spin around...that's pretty much all right now though.

#9 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 27 May 2012 - 03:00 AM

Holy crap, that's awesome! How exactly did you get it to work, though? Isn't each gleeok head an individual enemy?

Edit: The post I was responding to even had the word gleeok in it multiple times and STILL I managed to misspell it!

Edited by Moosh, 27 May 2012 - 03:03 AM.

#10 judasrising

judasrising

I play guitar

• Members

Posted 27 May 2012 - 03:03 AM

icon_smile.gif

icon_omg.gif i agree with Moosh here , that is totally awesome Gleeok icon_drool.gif icon_drool.gif

#11 Gleeok

Gleeok

• Members

Posted 27 May 2012 - 03:51 AM

Yeah. you have to use your imagination now, but later on there will probably some scripted drawing on layer 1. Maybe like a space background or something.

QUOTE(Moosh @ May 27 2012, 01:00 AM) View Post

Holy crap, that's awesome! How exactly did you get it to work, though? Isn't each gleeok head an individual enemy?

Well what I do when a script creates an enemy is have it set npc->Misc[15] |= script_flag; npc->Misc[15] & 0x01 means that the script that spawns the enemy is giving permission to other scripts to use that enemy for other things. Basically I'm making the ffc scripts are like legos so you can connect them together in various ways. Your welcome to rip the scripts from the file whenever I update demos or whatever.

Otherwise you can check npc->Attributes[1] uhh... (Attributes[0]?).. I forget. icon_razz.gif And then skip that many enemies. example:
CODE

for(int i=1;i <= Screen->NumNPCs(); i++)
{
  npc e = Screen->LoadNPC(i);
  if(e->Type == E_GLEEOK) //look in std.zh for the correct constant :P
  {
    i += e->Attributes[0]; //num heads
  }
  //stuff
}

#12 Gleeok

Gleeok

• Members

Posted 29 May 2012 - 05:43 AM

Woot. Another update. (Updated first post also) Got two more mini-dungeons done!

The first one is a gauntlet where you get the LV2 sword, but with a nice little twist:
IPB Image
There is a time limit on every screen! icon_biggrin.gif icon_biggrin.gif icon_biggrin.gif I'm going to call them extinction auras.

How many enemies do you think you have to clear in 5 minutes to get the sword? Fifty, one-hundred, ...two hundred and fifty??
icon_nerd.gif

Also enemy types are mostly done now:
-Undead enemies: Will drain your magic when they touch you. Immune to dark magic.
-Stalfos enemy types: Are immune to fire and arrows now.
-Like Likes: Are now various breeds of metroids (brain suckers), and cause confusion (drunk) after they trap you.
-Octorock types for basically every weapon. Variety is the spice of life!

Puzzles?

..What about them. Well....There are /very/ few puzzles in here, but I don't really do block puzzles. I give you a big fat ZERO in the block puzzle department, so if you are a block puzzle enthusiast you will be disappointed.icon_razz.gif
However, I will put on or two in just for fun. Perhaps in the bonus dungeons. The reason for this is that puzzles are going to be dungeons themselves. I don't want to put them in the main, aka manditory section, part of the game so people won't pull out their hair over it.

#13 Mero

Mero

Touch Fluffy Tail

• Banned

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:46 AM

IPB Image You mind explaining how you accomplished the above?

#14 aaa2

aaa2

Wizard

• Banned

Posted 14 June 2012 - 02:43 PM

Your wheel of gleeoks is amazing. Maybe you also want to add a whizzrobe spawning gleeoks like you can with the enemy spawner script i made in the database. Or what would be really cool is have a whizzrobe spawn those gleeok wheels(if that is possible somehow).

#15 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 14 June 2012 - 03:03 PM

QUOTE(blackbishop89 @ Jun 14 2012, 07:46 AM) View Post

IPB Image You mind explaining how you accomplished the above?

Scripting, obviously. Just manually set the X position for the enemies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users