29 replies to this topic

#1 Ben

Ben

a very grumpy

• Members

Posted 12 May 2010 - 02:59 PM

Until the 24th!!!

http://store.steampo...com/freeportal/

AAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH if you haven't played this game you must. icon_frown.gif you have no excuse now - it will run on a Mac now too since Steam for Mac debuted today.

All you have to do is set up a steam account or use an existing one. it doesn't cost anything and Steam doesn't send out spam. so ... yeah.

-------------------------
reqs:

Windows:
Minimum: 1.7 GHz Processor, 512MB RAM, DirectX® 8.1 level Graphics Card (Requires support for SSE), Windows® Vista/XP/2000, Mouse, Keyboard, Internet Connection

Recommended: Pentium 4 processor (3.0GHz, or better), 1GB RAM, DirectX® 9 level Graphics Card, Windows® Vista/XP/2000, Mouse, Keyboard, Internet Connection

Intel Mac:

Minimum: OS X version Leopard 10.5.8, Snow Leopard 10.6.3, 1GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8 or higher, or ATI X1600 or higher, Mouse, Keyboard, Internet Connection

Edited by Bengal, 12 May 2010 - 04:42 PM.

#2 Gleeok

Gleeok

It's dangerous to dough alone, bake this.

• Members

Posted 12 May 2010 - 03:09 PM

QUOTE(Bengal @ May 12 2010, 12:59 PM) View Post

(...) you have no excuse now.

It won't run on my PC. icon_razz.gif

That's a pretty awesome deal though.

#3 Evile

Evile

Dolphinslayer

• Members

Posted 12 May 2010 - 04:12 PM

icon_frown.gif

Now I feel silly for paying for it. Oh well, I bought it ages ago anyways. Excellent game.

#4 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 12 May 2010 - 05:07 PM

Awesome! Now I can finally play it! I wonder what possessed them to give it away for free...

#5 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 12 May 2010 - 05:09 PM

I'm not complaining! It's downloading right now ^^
Think I'll have to go and invest in a mouse though...

#6 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 12 May 2010 - 05:16 PM

QUOTE(Joe123 @ May 12 2010, 03:09 PM) View Post

Think I'll have to go and invest in a mouse though...

Oh right, I didn't think about that... Oh well, I'll just see how far I can get with a mousepad. icon_razz.gif

#7 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 12 May 2010 - 06:36 PM

Download is 23% at present. icon_thumbsup.gif Thanks for bringing the news, Bengal.

I asked for a wireless mouse for my birthday this year; I was getting very tired of playing Quake III with the trackpad. icon_razz.gif

#8 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 12 May 2010 - 06:44 PM

Downloading now. I've heard much about it, but I finally get to try it for myself. icon_biggrin.gif

But I've got a question: it says 'ready to play in approximately ____'. I don't have to wait this long every time I want to play this, do I? Or is this just it downloading the files? I'm an utter noob to Steam. icon_razz.gif (Not trying to derail the topic or anything, I'd just like to know.)

#9 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 12 May 2010 - 07:01 PM

Steam downloads the game onto your computer, so it's just like you got a disc and installed it traditionally. icon_smile.gif

#10 Lemon

Lemon

Legend

• Members

Posted 12 May 2010 - 08:51 PM

First the Humble Indie Bundle, now this. It's like the internet is trying everything it can to prevent me from studying. icon_frown.gif

#11 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 13 May 2010 - 12:59 AM

Ended up playing for two and a half straight hours and beat it. Now on to the bonus levels... after some sleep. icon_razz.gif Fantastic as it should be.

#12 Sephiroth

Sephiroth

The Legendary Sephiroth

• Members

Posted 13 May 2010 - 06:52 AM

hehe, for all you skeptics out there. Wheee - Valve poster confirming it's indefinitely free if you grab it before the 24th.

#13 Linkus

Linkus

• Members

Posted 13 May 2010 - 11:08 AM

Ah yes, a definite play. As for why it's free? well, consider this:
  • The engine is almost six years old - Even with its updates, the engine is definitely showing signs of age now, and it doesn't help that the roots of the engine date all the way back to 1996.
  • The game itself is two to three hours on your first playthrough - which isn't much given several other games out there.
  • Does it really need an introduction?
  • Oh, and the cake is a lie. Unless you believe that in itself is a lie.

#14 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 13 May 2010 - 02:07 PM

QUOTE(Lemon @ May 12 2010, 09:51 PM) View Post

First the Humble Indie Bundle, now this. It's like the internet is trying everything it can to prevent me from studying. icon_frown.gif

Quoted for truth. I feel the same way.

Oh what the heck! Portal rocks!

#15 Siguy

Siguy

• Members

Posted 13 May 2010 - 02:31 PM

I had been anticipating Steam's release on Mac, so that I could finally get my mom to play Portal. I was happy to find out yesterday that it was now FREE, so that I didn't have to share my Steam account with her. Yay icon_razz.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users