I got a Mac

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Nate

Nate

Magus

• Members

Posted 20 September 2008 - 01:52 PM

Yeppers, went to the Apple Store today and picked one up. I'm amazed. The screen is so HUGE!!!!

I did a video chat with a friend I grew up with I haven't seen in years. I love it soooooo much! I still freak out when I come into my room and see this huge glowing screen xD

#2 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 20 September 2008 - 01:56 PM

Congrats on that, Nate. I'm thinking of grabbing a mac myself, if I ever get this job I'm after. Laptop, though.

#3 Nate

Nate

Magus

• Members

Posted 20 September 2008 - 02:08 PM

I put 775 on it, and still owe 9XX on it.

I can't believe I was able to get approved for 1990 myself O_O

If I pay if off within 90 days I pay no interest, which I plan on doing. Heck, I'll have it paid off in 60 days xD

#4 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 20 September 2008 - 02:23 PM

I might grab one too, I recently saw unbiased reasons why Mac *CAN* be better.

#5 Nate

Nate

Magus

• Members

Posted 20 September 2008 - 03:17 PM

I hate it when people get in arguments.

I don't know why people say mac's suck because they do everything PCs can do. I dual boot between Windows and OSX with no problems at all. I can even run Windows inside of a Window o_o XD

#6 Alestance

Alestance

• Members

Posted 20 September 2008 - 03:24 PM

The things people don't like about Macs is that its closed to certain hardware. It can be a bad thing, considering they're not exactly cheap, but its also a good thing because Mac OS doesn't have to be loaded with a plethora of drivers one doesn't need.

#7 Nate

Nate

Magus

• Members

Posted 20 September 2008 - 03:45 PM

I guess it depends on what you really need. This is everything I need and more. And not a bloated more a "holy crap, I can get into that later" more.

#8 Fabbrizio

Fabbrizio

Legend

• Members

Posted 20 September 2008 - 05:03 PM

I don't think mac is better than PC, or that PC is better than Mac. I think it's good that you got one, because one who has both will ultimately have more potential that someone with just one. For example, I do all of my recording on Garageband, but I do my file conversion on my PC.

Anyway, good job getting the most efficient system in the world icon_biggrin.gif

#9 Alestance

Alestance

• Members

Posted 20 September 2008 - 07:19 PM

Someone with all three types(Mac, Windows, *NIX) and is a developer has no excuse to create a cross-platform program/game/etc. Cross platform is your friend.

And of course, you do have things on Windows that you can't do on Mac and vice versa, plus Linux is a step behind both of them in functionality because no one does cross-platform stuff for Linux unless its open source.

Edited by Alestance, 20 September 2008 - 07:20 PM.

#10 octorok

octorok

Lord of the Octoroks

• Members

Posted 20 September 2008 - 08:42 PM

We bought a used Mac from our church about two years ago and we've hardly used it up until this point. The thing is loaded and has a huge screen on it. We recently gave our laptop to my wife's mother because she needed a computer. SO we just started using the Mac, and so far I'm addicted to it and would never go back to PCs. I love Macs. icon_cool.gif icon_thumbsup.gif

#11 hinsburg

hinsburg

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 20 September 2008 - 10:42 PM

I prefer Mac, but a ton of programs are PC only, so I have to use both.

Of course, there is one program that I heard about that makes your Mac run like a PC.

#12 Nate

Nate

Magus

• Members

Posted 20 September 2008 - 11:00 PM

Uhh.

Boot camp.

You can dual boot between the Mac OS and Windows XP icon_smile.gif

All in one icon_smile.gif

Or there is even a program that will run Windows INSIDE of Mac OS X

#13 Ben

Ben

a very grumpy

• Members

Posted 21 September 2008 - 09:16 AM

If you're still running a PowerPC-based Mac (G3, G4, G5) your only options for running Windows are to get an Intel Mac (or a PC) or get MS VirtualPC 7 (which isn't even really being supported anymore since it was designed to run on OS X Panther, though it does run under Tiger and Leopard with a couple caveats.)

But on an Intel Mac you can try Parallels, VMWare Fusion, and VirtualBox (all of which will run OSes other than Windows if need be) or just use Boot Camp (XP SP2 and newer.)

#14 octorok

octorok

Lord of the Octoroks

• Members

Posted 21 September 2008 - 09:22 AM

I just love how simple the thing is. It's only frozen up on me once because guess what program I was using? Microsoft Office. LOL!! Apparently my Mac doesn't approve of me putting Microsoft programs on there. icon_lol.gif

#15 Nate

Nate

Magus

• Members

Posted 21 September 2008 - 12:17 PM

That one made me laugh, octorok icon_biggrin.gif

Yeah, I'm not even messing with the Microsoft programs on this. I did install Windows for "windows only" stuff, but I decided to remove it, because at this point, I can't really see myself having to boot back into Windows.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users