• Please log in to reply
153 replies to this topic

#136 Kite

Kite

• Members

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:22 PM

QUOTE(-DuCkTApE- @ Jan 5 2013, 12:55 AM) View Post

IPB Image

Thanks for the... fan art? We really appreciate the thought, but we're overall happy with our current title screen style. Our current title screen isn't perfect since it could definitely use some work in the readability department, but we probably won't be completely changing the style of it anytime soon unless something just jumps out at us while maintaining the fairy motif.

Still, thanks for putting forth that effort. icon_smile.gif

#137 DragonDePlatino

DragonDePlatino

Pixel Dragon

• Members

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:35 PM

Yup...I just started playing this quest today, and I'll say that I'm impressed so far! I played the quest all the way up to finishing the conversation with Brock. icon_razz.gif Up to that point, I logged 1:09, died 3 times, had to use 1 potion and genuinely LOL'd about 4 or 5 times. Now, a little critique on what I'd seen so far...

Graphics - The first thing that comes to mind when critiquing...Ah, I'll say that I'm both impressed and unimpressed with your graphics. You used the fault GBC graphics very nicely and both your dungeons and minidungeons have an excellent feel to them. Your rooms feel a bit small, but they have a ton of walkable area and there's just enough going on in the screen to keep the player interested, but not overwhelm them. Also, your cutscenes are fantastic and you made excellent usage of FFCs to give your cutscenes a little life. On the other hand, despite it being played for geniune lulz, it was kind of a bummer to see the quest brought down with the poor variation of NPC design early on in the game. On the other hand, it does give the game a lot of charm which reminds me of...

Script - Paper Mario! Wow, you didn't even have to mention Paper Mario to have me immediately recognize the quick wit and wordplay the Mario RPG series commonly has. You lampshade a lot of stuff such as similar NPCs and Steve's appearance, but at the same time you don't overdo it to the point where it gets annoying. All of your characters, no matter how insignificant, are bursting with character, actually, even Link! The fact that you emphasized his muteness, strangeness of character and emotion really flesh him out, which is something sadly not seen a lot in the traditional Zelda games. And like in the traditional Zelda games...

Gameplay - Well well well, it's fanastic! To put it simply, I'd put the game right up there with Minish Cap, and a little bit above ALttP as well. As stated earlier, the rooms are never overwhelming and when you die...again...and again...it doesn't really feel frustrating at all. It really feels like it was the player's own carelessness, not poor design or controls. And considering I use a really cheap Sidewinder which practically only let's me walk in diagonals, I'd give your game an A+ for slickness of control. Ah, and I can agree with you on the scripts. From what I saw in the trailer, I was expecting something amazing, and I will admit I was let down a lot when I started the game...Nevertheless, your scripts mesh perfectly with Zelda Classic.

Music - Nothing much to say here as I really only heard videogame MIDIs, but it was still great! You've got very nice taste in choosing songs, as there's a good mix of often-heard ones (such as the FFIV overworld theme), and some not-so-recognizable ones. Probably my favorite song so far would be Mystic Dungeon's. I listened to it loop a couple of times and it sounded familiar, and eventually I remembered it was the ruins theme from Sonic Adventure! Nice! Oh, and your music doesn't detract too much from the scenes and it has the perfect volume. icon_biggrin.gif

So, that's my opinion of the game so far! Ah, and in case LinkTheMaster hasn't already told you, I'd like to help you along with making this great fangame! As said earlier, I think your game is a little lackluster in the graphics department, and I would love to help you out. First and foremost, you're gonna need some more NPC variety, some expressions/actions for Link (it feels strange just sitting there staring at <(...) bubbles) and maybe some custom enemy graphics. Also, if I can help out with graphics, I'd be willing to sprite anything extra you needed, like storyline characters, item animations or pretty much anything. And if you're worried about clashing graphics of skill levels, go ahead and take a look at my dA gallery to see some examples of my work: http://dragondeplati...rt.com/gallery/ And if need be, I can show you (or let you use) some custom GBC graphics I made for my now-abandoned quest. Well, go ahead and give it some thought! Kudos!

#138 Schwa

Schwa

Enjoy the Moment more. This strengthens Imagination.

• Members

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:24 PM

That custom subscreen is eye-popping. Good lord. Amazing.

I'm extremely delighted to see this-- I have been mulling over how plausible a system like that would be to make, and now I'm more confident. Especially hearing about that custom map system! That's DEFINITELY something relevant to my interests.

Question, if you care to share: How did you get the rest of the screen to freeze while the custom Subscreen is up? I think that's like the one major obstacle standing between me and custom active subscreen designing.

#139 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:12 PM

QUOTE(DragonDePlatino @ Mar 12 2013, 05:35 PM) View Post
Big long post I’m not actually going to quote so this reply isn’t five pages. icon_razz.gif
Well, I'll say you're maybe 2/3 of the way through the demo. You've still got the first main dungeon to go!

First of all, I want to say that we really appreciate your comments. icon_smile.gif I’m really glad to hear that you’ve been having fun with Fairy Dream, and I hope you find the rest of the quest just as enjoyable. It’s definitely not perfect (there’s a few things I really want to fix), so we definitely appreciate any criticism you may have.

As far as some of your key points…

Graphics – As far as “small rooms” go, that’s mostly a product of the place. I feel like the Forest Palace (the first main dungeon in the quest), which is at the end of the demo, has a lot more bigger rooms. And some future dungeons will have more traditional sized rooms. To me, it all just depends on the feel of the dungeon. Moon Cave is a small introduction dungeon, so it seemed to feel better with small rooms. Mystic Ruins are well… just ruins of some place. icon_razz.gif Plot and all.

When it comes to repeated graphics… yeah. I’ll admit that’s a bit of a problem. But neither Nick nor myself are good at making tiles. At all. icon_razz.gif We’ve both dabbled in it a bit here and there and managed to produce a couple okay things, but for the most part, we’re pretty much stuck with what we can find or what a couple people have been generous enough to make for us.

Scripts – I’m glad that you’ve been finding it funny! icon_smile.gif I don’t consider myself too funny, so I always worry that if we’re putting in jokes that are really dumb or something. It’s just really hard to judge that for me. And I’m glad we were able to make you feel attached to the characters! Most of the guild characters (and a couple others) are going to be at least somewhat recurring. I wouldn’t want people to dislike them. icon_razz.gif

Gameplay – I think you fully understand our goal when it comes to using scripts. Any scripts we used are purely intended to achieve the gameplay and atmosphere that we feel we desire for the quest. We wanted to make a quirky Zelda game that was grounded in general Zelda gameplay. So we intentionally try to avoid going too far with scripts. I’m sorry if the trailer sort of hyped things up a bit too much. icon_razz.gif But we sort of wanted to hype things a bit before the release of the demo.

Music – Like with graphics, we’re pretty much stuck with what we’ve found on VGMusic. I’ll admit that finding music is a personal… annoyance of mine. I just get really dragged down by searching for music. So there are oftentimes going to be better music to fit situations (if anyone knows of any, please let us know), but we do the best we can with what we’ve got. icon_razz.gif

As far as your offer… we would absolutely love any help that we can get in that area. I think both of us have some ideas that we’d really like to do which would require suitable graphics, so if you’re seriously offering to help, please send me a PM. We’d appreciate any help at all, and you'll definitely be credited. icon_smile.gif

Again, though, I'm really happy that you're enjoying Fairy Dream so far. Hopefully you'll continue to enjoy the demo!

QUOTE(Schwa @ Mar 12 2013, 06:24 PM) View Post
Question, if you care to share: How did you get the rest of the screen to freeze while the custom Subscreen is up? I think that's like the one major obstacle standing between me and custom active subscreen designing.
There are two combo types: Screen Freeze (FFCs only) and Screen Freeze (Except FFCs). We assign one of each to FFCs on the screen. This will freeze all enemies, weapons, and FFC scripts (so not the global script). What’s nice is that since these are FFCs, if for some reason it messes up and the player goes off screen (or somehow saves/restarts), the FFCs will be gone and won’t affect gameplay.

#140 Schwa

Schwa

Enjoy the Moment more. This strengthens Imagination.

• Members

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:02 PM

QUOTE(LinktheMaster @ Mar 12 2013, 05:12 PM) View Post

There are two combo types: Screen Freeze (FFCs only) and Screen Freeze (Except FFCs). We assign one of each to FFCs on the screen. This will freeze all enemies, weapons, and FFC scripts (so not the global script). What’s nice is that since these are FFCs, if for some reason it messes up and the player goes off screen (or somehow saves/restarts), the FFCs will be gone and won’t affect gameplay.

Oh!! Oh okay. So... you used both combo types and froze all action and FFC scripts on the screen, while a global script routine is set to tell whether "Subscreen Mode" is currently active, and that's what runs all the stuff?

God that is genius. Thank you! Maybe I'll be able to slap something similar together one day.

Fairy Dream is looking magnificent by the way. I look forward to more....cowbell :D

#141 DragonDePlatino

DragonDePlatino

Pixel Dragon

• Members

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:36 PM

Hey! I just finished the demo (minus 4 heart pieces and the 3rd+ sidequest, and I've got some bugs to report.

Firstly, you might want to double-check your graphic for the Forest Palace's dead trees, because it looks like the lower halves use a different Cset or something.

Secondly, when you talk to the fisherman in SE Hyrule fields without even knowing who he is, he will thank you for completing the quest and will give you a "reward" which he actually doesn't give you. This is really confusing...is he a part of one of the sidequests? I didn't even accept it yet!

Ah, and also, while you're in the Forest Palace and you hit the 1st or second crystal switch and it shows you the red raise panels that appeared, there's something ODD at the top of the screen. It's kind of hard to read quickly, but there's a big white banner with "unregistered version of something-something cam" or something like that. :/

And lastly, when you are doing the push block puzzle at the far east side of the Forest Palace (the one involving you activating the rising panels and deactivating them) the puzzle is a little hard, but it's really easy to cheat and teleport your way back to the other side of the panels by taking a suicidal plunge into the water and drowing yourself. *cough cough* Not like I'd do something like that and cheat...nope...*cough cough*

Ah...and that's pretty much everything I could notice. Also, what's up with the meme involving the chest inside of the chest? IDGI

#142 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:46 PM

Ah, and also, while you're in the Forest Palace and you hit the 1st or second crystal switch and it shows you the red raise panels that appeared, there's something ODD at the top of the screen. It's kind of hard to read quickly, but there's a big white banner with "unregistered version of something-something cam" or something like that. :/

It said "Unregisted Omniscient Cam 2", a spoof on the "Unregistered Hypercam 2" that appears on all videos taken with an unregistered Hypercam, which used to be really common.

Also, what's up with the meme involving the chest inside of the chest? IDGI

It was a meme years ago on Pure. It's shown up in a lot of places, like the DoR tileset, for example, and it may or may not be referenced in the description for one of the staff forums that doesn't exist. <_<

#143 Kite

Kite

• Members

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:25 PM

QUOTE(DragonDePlatino @ Mar 13 2013, 10:36 PM) View Post

Hey! I just finished the demo (minus 4 heart pieces and the 3rd+ sidequest, and I've got some bugs to report.

Firstly, you might want to double-check your graphic for the Forest Palace's dead trees, because it looks like the lower halves use a different Cset or something.

Hmm. That does look a bit odd. It's the same CSet as all the other trees, so I think there is an issue with the tile. Good catch. icon_smile.gif

Secondly, when you talk to the fisherman in SE Hyrule fields without even knowing who he is, he will thank you for completing the quest and will give you a "reward" which he actually doesn't give you. This is really confusing...is he a part of one of the sidequests? I didn't even accept it yet!

This is a known bug that I think we've fixed since the demo. If not, it's certainly on our list.

Yeah. I watch a lot of Let's Plays and I wanted to insert a little quick joke about Hypercam2 once I realized this was a quick cut to a different "camera" that makes absolutely no sense from the perspective of the characters, but is really helpful for telling the player something happened. The joke is a quick flash and only happens once since we didn't want it to be thrown in everywhere.

And lastly, when you are doing the push block puzzle at the far east side of the Forest Palace (the one involving you activating the rising panels and deactivating them) the puzzle is a little hard, but it's really easy to cheat and teleport your way back to the other side of the panels by taking a suicidal plunge into the water and drowing yourself. *cough cough* Not like I'd do something like that and cheat...nope...*cough cough*

Neither of us found it too hard, but the water was put there on purpose to avoid truly getting stuck (though we didn't really think anyone would get truly stuck, but I realize I've unconsciously done that and cheated my way out of it a few times thinking back on it). We don't mind too much if people cheat a bit for the puzzle since you are punished by losing health.

Ah...and that's pretty much everything I could notice. Also, what's up with the meme involving the chest inside of the chest? IDGI

The chest in a chest is its own thing where we wanted to play with quest logic a bit, but the meme referenced while getting the chest is a rather specific reference to a PureZC meme from 2002. To be honest, we're probably going to remove the really specific meme mention since not even a whole lot of the current PureZC community knows what it is (LinktheMaster didn't even know what it was at first). The gist of it will still be there, but you can also just ignore it without getting confused. icon_razz.gif

Thanks for taking the time to play the demo and thanks for the offer of spriting. I know you've already been talking to LTM about it, but we really appreciate these things. icon_smile.gif

#144 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 14 May 2013 - 03:49 PM

Taking a look at the new trailer (or is it?)  I can see this project uses scripting to oblivion, which I really adore.  I want for people to make their quests not play and feel like a standard ZC quest, but something unique, and this just might take the cake in that department.  Alert me when it is completed =).

#145 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:50 AM

I remember looking at the trailer for this game and was completely knocked away. I was so overwhelmed by what this game could do I had to ignore it for awhile so I can confidently build my quest, but with more motivation to improve.

Now that my skills are much better, I watch the trailer again and I am completely knocked away, and will have to continue to avoid this "perfect looking" quest until I am more confident to rationally accept the magic behind it.

My plan now is to improve my skills more, than watch the trailer again, and be knocked away yet again, but perhaps than I'll accept that this is not only a tough act to follow, but on the verge of being unmatched by any other quest in the making, I will never even fairy dream to attempt to build a quest on nearly the same strength as this quest currently holds, because I know every attempt to do so would lead to personal defeat, frustration, and disappointment.

Now that's a pretty dramatic way in putting things, but that's clearly where I stand by the trailer alone, this quest seems perfect, but the truth be told in actually playing it hands on, and chances are I will do an LP.

I will certainly be adding this quest as well to the handbook I am making. Keep up the good work, it would be the biggest shame in Zeldaclassic history if this quest goes unfinished.

#146 PolikMaster

PolikMaster

ポーレク マースタ

• Members

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:15 AM

This game does look awesome. Goes to show that one does not need realistic graphics to make such a cool game. The scripts are pretty cool too (wish I could do that). Looking forward to it I shall. . .

Edited by PolikMaster, 04 November 2013 - 03:14 PM.

#147 PolikMaster

PolikMaster

ポーレク マースタ

• Members

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:11 PM

Cool how there was an Animal Crossing midi in there. . . haha.

#148 Legen Dary

Legen Dary

Freak Scene

• Members

Posted 10 December 2013 - 10:11 PM

Smokebomb?

#149 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 10 December 2013 - 10:18 PM

Oh, I guess we never officially announced here.  We actually have a quest project where we'll be doing updates from now on. :) Work is being done on the quest - slowly but surely.  We hope to have some more updates about the quest in the future (though we'll definitely be keeping some stuff under wraps for surprises :) ).

#150 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 10 December 2013 - 10:20 PM

Are you guys entering Fairy Dream into the Winter 2014 Expo?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users