• Please log in to reply
494 replies to this topic

#31 Haylee

Haylee

~ Hope of Energy Nede ~

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 18 December 2013 - 02:46 PM

As long as there are enemies strong and complex enough to counter the new fighting style and still provide a good bit of challenge, this could be really fun. I noticed King Dodongo looking like he got downgraded from boss to just really-big-enemy, so hopefully there will be some good enemies to fight. It did look like most of the enemies in the trailer were the Goomba-style cannon fodder mooks rather than the tricky enemies to deal with.

From what I've played of Dynasty Warriors (Which is only 8.), there were the difficulty settings: Very Easy Mode, Easy Mode, Normal Mode, Hard Mode, Chaos Mode. I haven't played Very easy or Easy, but I can pretty much point out how Normal, Hard, and Chaos were.

Normal - Your typical run around, you're OP, everything's fairly easy, and slightly hard at the bosses. Basically that difficulty you don't want here.

Hard - You're significantly less OP, and it's become more of an actual game of fighting an army. If you're not careful, even the generic enemies could possibly kill you. The bosses are somewhat hard. I would say this is the difficulty that you'd really like for this type of game.

Chaos - Unless you've had extensive practice, prepare to get rustled. I heavily don't recommend this difficulty unless you've played the game for a long time.

I'm hoping this game has a difficulty system like this.

Edited by Goriya, 18 December 2013 - 05:07 PM.

• Jared likes this

#32 DCEnygma

DCEnygma

you're going to have a bad time

• Members

Posted 18 December 2013 - 03:00 PM

I don't know that everyone realizes this isn't supposed to be a true Zelda game. It also isn't the same next-gen Zelda game that Nintendo is working on. This is a side-project being developed in the same vein as Dynasty Warriors, meaning it's all combat all the time. Really, if you aren't a fan of 3rd person hack-n-slash games, you'll probably won't like this either. This is no different to me then letting Retro Studios make a Metroid game. They proved you can be successful with a Nintendo IP in more than one genre.

I'm not a huge Dynasty Warriors fan, but this looks like a game I'll be checking out, just because I love the idea of this mashup. I've always wanted a more combat-focused Zelda game and this scratches all of those itches.

• Moonbread, The Satellite, Russ and 5 others like this

#33 Haylee

Haylee

~ Hope of Energy Nede ~

• Members

Posted 18 December 2013 - 03:03 PM

My friend on Skype just noticed something, look at this screenshot that he showed me:

http://www.technobuf...20-1280x720.jpg

Now look at the top right corner. There's a character there that doesn't look like a generic unit.

Possibly a new character, or perhaps Tecmo's portrayal of a different Zelda character? If that's the case, methinks it's Nayru.

#34 Aevin

Aevin

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 18 December 2013 - 03:33 PM

Sorry for being so negative, but they've basically taken a series I love and combined it with a series I hate.  Beating on hordes of mindless, nearly defenseless foes with over the top attacks with no real subtlety is dull. I'll toss this in the pile with "Link's Crossbow Training". Ick.

#35 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 18 December 2013 - 03:35 PM

Well hey, don't like it, don't play it. That's the beauty of third-party spinoffs. The people who love this stuff get to enjoy it, while Nintendo spends their time working on the actual main-series games for you. It's basically a win-win situation. Not sure why everybody's so negative about it; does a non-canon third-party game really have to be that big of a deal?

• LinktheMaster, The Satellite, Haylee and 2 others like this

#36 Haylee

Haylee

~ Hope of Energy Nede ~

• Members

Posted 18 December 2013 - 03:42 PM

Well hey, don't like it, don't play it. That's the beauty of third-party spinoffs. The people who love this stuff get to enjoy it, while Nintendo spends their time working on the actual main-series games for you. It's basically a win-win situation. Not sure why everybody's so negative about it; does a non-canon third-party game really have to be that big of a deal?

My response to most of the super negative responses so far. Russ, I love you for this.

This spinoff deserves a chance of becoming something amazing. Based on some of the things I know already, I think this could possibly be the best spinoff I've ever "end up"...other than Summon Night Swordcraft Story. I sincerely hope that this game becomes a success.

#37 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 18 December 2013 - 03:51 PM

I dunno. I mean, I support creative freedom, and would not harp on the choices that are made here by these companies. I am sure it makes no differences as such add ons like Link's Crossbow Training, and the inclusions into Super Smash Bros, Soul Calibur, and Nintendo Land.

But I just got this feeling I can't explain, something I am not sure I like.

As it stands right now, I doubt I would buy this game. I'd certainly play it if a friend of mine had it. It's hard to say what I truly think. I'd have to see it develop more to give a truly honest opinion.

Edited by NewJourneysFire, 18 December 2013 - 03:52 PM.

#38 Aevin

Aevin

• Members

Posted 18 December 2013 - 03:51 PM

Well, given the intensity of my own negative reaction, what you got in that post was pretty tame. ;)

It's just that I've been trained to associate the Zelda title with games that I love. I don't really see the need to reinvent the series like they appear to be doing. In my opinion, it takes the series in a bad direction and lays the foundation for other games far outside the core Zelda concept that aren't to my taste. I imagine they're looking for a title to bridge the gap between Link Between Worlds and Zelda Wii U. This game popping up is bad news for me because it means they're probably not going to produce a game I'd enjoy during this period. like majora's mask 3ds ...

So yeah. Definitely not for me. But more power to those who can enjoy it.

Edited by Aevin, 18 December 2013 - 03:52 PM.

• Air Luigi likes this

#39 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 18 December 2013 - 04:20 PM

One thing I've been thinking about today, is, well... What if they wanted to make a Zelda game that was actually about a war in Hyrule?  I mean, let's face it- the standard Zelda formula is not going to accomplish that.  This honestly seems like the best route of action for it because it lets the player stay with one of the major parts of Zelda, which is combat.  Rather than, y'know, making it an RTS or TBS type game.

#40 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 18 December 2013 - 04:25 PM

According to it, the game is still being produced by Eiji Aonuma, and there is references of this being a crossover with the Dynasty Warriors of some kind. But according to it, Dynasty Warriors have did this type of crossover before, back in 2007 they did Dynasty Warriors: Gundam.

So given that this is an approach Tecmo is making. I'd see that they'd be targeting more than just Zelda, this is something I feel will be generally understood as time goes by. Which seems to me that Dynasty Warriors could very well adapt a Final Fantasy version, or any type of crossover.

With that in mind, I now feel more comfortable. As this game will be like a Zelda cameo appearance in the Dynasty universe.
  • Jared and Demonlink like this

#41 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 18 December 2013 - 04:42 PM

I don't think it's going to be a bomb like the CDI Zeldas, but I don't think it'll be anything to scream about either.  It'll just kinda be there, like Mario Tennis.  Nothing special.

I despise button mashers; where's the strategy?  Where's the thought-provoking puzzles?

Edited by Koh, 18 December 2013 - 04:43 PM.

#42 Air Luigi

Air Luigi

Tio guachi

• Members

Posted 18 December 2013 - 04:42 PM

The problem is that Dynasty Warriors is a bad quality saga... that's all. Mixing it with Zelda is something that was beyond my imagination. No offense, but It's laughable how bad the game looks and plays xD And no, the combat of the Dynasty Warriors series is a nonsense, nothing that resembling Zelda.

Of course, is my opinion

#43 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 18 December 2013 - 04:48 PM

I don't think it's going to be a bomb like the CDI Zeldas, but I don't think it'll be anything to scream about either.  It'll just kinda be there, like Mario Tennis.  Nothing special.

I despise button mashers; where's the strategy?  Where's the thought-provoking puzzles?

The strategy is in warfare itself.  There's all different kinds of strategy- they're not just all "What item do I need to take down this enemy?"  I imagine if you just go in guns-a-blazing you'll probably get your ass kicked.  You're not just watching out for yourself now, you're watching out for an army.  There's going to be casualties because in war, people still die on the winning side.  Minimizing those casualties by playing smart is going to be part of that strategy.

As for puzzles... Not having any thought-provoking puzzles is a HUGE issue if the game is trying to have thought-provoking puzzles.  But they don't belong here, simple as that.  It's not a traditional Zelda game.  It's not supposed to be.  Let me know the next time you play a war game where you find block puzzles. :|

• Russ likes this

#44 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 18 December 2013 - 05:21 PM

The negativity in this thread....it's horrifying.  :worried:

• Shane likes this

#45 Jamian

Jamian

ZC enthusiast

• Members

Posted 18 December 2013 - 05:25 PM

I don't care about this game but I can't see how it would hurt the series in any way (the CD-I games and Link's Crossbow Training didn't). :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users