Sonic Generations

• Please log in to reply
281 replies to this topic

#31 chris100100

chris100100

Experienced Forumer

• Members

Posted 08 May 2011 - 07:09 AM

I hope that Sonic will be the only playable characters in this game. If any other characters they should just be in the cutscenes. If they are playable I hope it will not be all three at a time like in Sonic Heroes (do not get me wrong I liked Sonic heroes but I just found it annoying to keep on changing to other players for certain section. I Hope this will be as great as I hope it will be, I hope the story will be good,the gameplay and every other aspect of this.

#32 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 08 May 2011 - 11:10 AM

QUOTE(chris100100 @ May 8 2011, 08:09 AM) View Post
If they are playable I hope it will not be all three at a time like in Sonic Heroes
I already linked this video in this thread, but:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Wuj-6T_ymqg

There's your reassuring that it definitely will not be like Sonic Heroes, and will be like Sonic Unleashed. icon_smile.gif

As far as characters, I wouldn't mind having the extras be playable. ... in extras. Would make an exception only for Tails, since he was as much a staple of the series as Sonic, and maybe Knuckles as well. I love Shadow, but I hate his new voice actor and, from an actually relevant point, adding him in as playable might be overkill. At least in the main mode. I'm just curious what the story will be like. It's gonna be written by the same idiots who wrote Sonic Colors's English script, so I'm a little skeptic. icon_unsettled.gif

#33 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 08 May 2011 - 12:51 PM

So, I read it's going to be for 3DS on GoNintendo.
This is gonna be awesome!! I can eventually get it now icon_razz.gif

Edited by Lynker, 08 May 2011 - 12:52 PM.

#34 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 08 May 2011 - 12:54 PM

QUOTE(Lynker @ May 8 2011, 01:51 PM) View Post
So, I read it's going to be for 3DS on GoNintendo.
You have a link? A source? A quote of any kind? Because otherwise this game is, quite plainly, for the PS3 and Xbox 360 only.

#35 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 08 May 2011 - 12:58 PM

http://gonintendo.co...y.php?id=157628

Meh, I'm skeptical. I had heard Sonic 3DS was a completely new game, and the trailer probably would have mentioned that if it were on the 3DS.

#36 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 08 May 2011 - 01:00 PM

I see... How verifiable are those scans? Or the person who printed them in the first place? Because for all we know, someone heard there was a Sonic game for the 3DS and an approximate release date but no one actually said it was Generations, and they just put that there for the hell of it. Either way... Wonder how that would play on the 3DS. Would prefer an original title, honestly, instead of another handheld version of a console game.

#37 chris100100

chris100100

Experienced Forumer

• Members

Posted 08 May 2011 - 02:27 PM

It looks awesome, in the video. Now, where is the bad news? Another wherehog? Bad story? Too many glitches? (You see Sonic go through a tree in the video,so that's the first place I am looking) I really hope not, but how many time have people think that a sonic game was going to be awesome and you play it and is not as great as you wanted. This year,howeaver, they made really good games(although sonic colors was a bit too platformy)I am still exited to hear moore about this.

#38 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 08 May 2011 - 02:59 PM

Meh, I'd forgive a bad story as long as the game's levels were great. Nothing's making you rewatch the cutscenes later if you don't like them. We probably won't see the Werehog unless they decide to use Unleashed night levels for part of the compilation ( icon_deformed.gif ). And glitches? You said you saw Sonic "go through a tree," but it was probably just a scenery piece that didn't matter; I've watched the video numerous times and noticed nothing. But hey, the more recent Sonic games didn't have any real noticeable glitches, and they've been more careful with that since '06. Unleashed didn't have any glitches; we'll most likely be fine here.

I personally thought the Wisps were the worst thing to happen to a console Sonic game. So as long as they keep those out, I'm good with it. icon_deformed.gif

#39 Schwa

Schwa

Enjoy the Moment more. This strengthens Imagination.

• Members

Posted 08 May 2011 - 09:30 PM

QUOTE(The Satellite @ May 8 2011, 12:59 PM) View Post

I personally thought the Wisps were the worst thing to happen to a console Sonic game. So as long as they keep those out, I'm good with it. icon_deformed.gif

No. The Wisps were perfectly decent, compared to Sonic the Hedgehog with a f***ing SWORD. After Black Knight I am convinced they could not possibly descend any lower into the barrel of fail, and when Unleashed came out and we were introduced to the awesomeness in the Daytime levels, I was proven right. And then when Sonic Colors's gameplay was a similar variety of epic, I was proven even more-righter-er. icon_awesome.gif

Sonic storylines have been cheesy ever since Day One, man! icon_cheese.gif A blue hedgehog fighting an evil mad doctor and his army of forest-animals-turned-robots? One of the charms of the Sonic series is its goofiness. That's probably why Shadow the Hedgehog did so poorly; you really can't take the angst seriously when it's an anthropomorphic hedgehog with space-time powers, created by aliens. That's almost as outlandish as Final Fantasy's underwater-football-players arc.

#40 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 08 May 2011 - 09:49 PM

QUOTE(Schwa @ May 8 2011, 07:30 PM) View Post

No. The Wisps were perfectly decent, compared to Sonic the Hedgehog with a f***ing SWORD. After Black Knight I am convinced they could not possibly descend any lower into the barrel of fail,

Actually, I like the sword better than the Wii wisps. It wasn't too bad, the game just had bad stage design. The Wisps in the Wii game felt so out of place and clunky.

and when Unleashed came out and we were introduced to the awesomeness in the Daytime levels, I was proven right.

Played the 360/PS3 version, or the Wii one?

And then when Sonic Colors's gameplay was a similar variety of epic, I was proven even more-righter-er.

Go play the DS one. Right now. The way the Wisps flow in it, and the stage design in general, are both perfect, and make the Wii version look like the crap that it is. I could rant about Colors Wii all day, but bottom line: Most of Asteroid Coaster and a handful of other levels are good, the rest is a steaming pile of dog crap.

Sonic storylines have been cheesy ever since Day One, man! icon_cheese.gif A blue hedgehog fighting an evil mad doctor and his army of forest-animals-turned-robots?

'06. It had a serious plot that worked. Robotnik felt truly evil, the characters were fleshed out well (most of them anyways) and it just seemed right altogether.

That's probably why Shadow the Hedgehog did so poorly; you really can't take the angst seriously when it's an anthropomorphic hedgehog with space-time powers, created by aliens.

Hey, I liked it. Yes, it was outlandish. And yes, the overall plot made no sense (INVISIBLE TOXIC NERVE GAS IN A COMET THAT NEEDS SEVEN EMERALDS TO WARP INTO THE ATMOSPHERE OMG!). But I think they pulled off the dark feel pretty well. Aside from how they just seemed to interject Damn into the game to try to make it more serious, which didn't really work. "Where's that damn fourth chaos emerald?" Yeah...

#41 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 08 May 2011 - 10:20 PM

QUOTE(Schwa @ May 8 2011, 10:30 PM) View Post
No. The Wisps were perfectly decent, compared to Sonic the Hedgehog with a f***ing SWORD.
Compared to the sword? I'll give you that. Worst gameplay mechanic ever. But that doesn't make the Wisps automatically good. I mean, it all just felt too haphazard and gimmicky, and, well, I just didn't like it.
After Black Knight I am convinced they could not possibly descend any lower into the barrel of fail, and when Unleashed came out and we were introduced to the awesomeness in the Daytime levels, I was proven right.
No disagreement, just pointing out that Black Knight came out after Unleashed. icon_blah.gif
And then when Sonic Colors's gameplay was a similar variety of epic, I was proven even more-righter-er. icon_awesome.gif
Similar, yes. I just don't like how they simplified the controls to remove quick step and drifting in order to restrict them to certain sections, is all.
Sonic storylines have been cheesy ever since Day One, man! icon_cheese.gif A blue hedgehog fighting an evil mad doctor and his army of forest-animals-turned-robots? One of the charms of the Sonic series is its goofiness.
For what Sonic's been given to work with, they've really pulled off some fantastic stuff. Look at the plots of Sonic Adventure (and 2), Sonic '06 (as much as the gameplay sucked), and Unleashed. All excellent, yet managed to retain a sufficient comical edge. Sonic Colors? Goofy to the point of vomiting. The only gold in the game were Eggman's PA announcements and his scenes. "Baldy McNosehair," "BBBE," Sonic talking to a dead robot, a terrible instance of fourth-wall breaking... Terrible s*** there in my opinion. Never want to see again.
That's probably why Shadow the Hedgehog did so poorly; you really can't take the angst seriously when it's an anthropomorphic hedgehog with space-time powers, created by aliens. That's almost as outlandish as Final Fantasy's underwater-football-players arc.
I dunno, I thought if you took away the guns and vehicles, Shadow had pretty good gameplay and level design, and the dark was pulled off well if you remove all the poorly-placed cussing. Sure, the story was a bit weird, but it was still a fun game. And just made me love Shadow even more.

Now that my meticulous dissection is over, I wanted to revisit a post I made earlier:
QUOTE(The Satellite @ Apr 19 2011, 02:09 AM) View Post
Anywho, hopefully, since it's on the PS3/Xbox, the controls will be Unleashed-style, and let you use drift and quick-step all the time and not in stupid certain sections like in Colors. And I wonder if they'll tweak it so that the behind-the-back running portions don't have such sloppy and skiddy controls that force you to use quick-step in order to move properly; I liked Unleashed, but that was my one complaint. And that boost goes back to collecting rings; collecting white Wisps was stupid. Those are my only real hopes, and I'll probably be fine anyway if they don't come true, but that's just me.
I can't confirm drift, but quick-step seems to be a full-time move again, judging by a video I saw that had the last part of the modern-style Green Hill Zone. This video, to be exact. I can't confirm the "less skiddy" controls either, but from what I've seen in some parts, it looked better. And the gameplay videos confirm that boost meter is linked to rings again. So yay, almost all my hopes came true, depending on the ones I'm unsure about. icon_deformed.gif

#42 Sir Evan

Sir Evan

Adept

• Members

Posted 08 May 2011 - 11:00 PM

Has anyone actually, you know, played Black Knight? Or did everyone just see a sword and yelled "F*** NO!!!" I honestly thought that Black Knight was a pretty good game. Better than Unleashed, in my opinion. The Wisps felt more forced than the sword did. icon_unsettled.gif

On the 3DS version of Sonic Generations, I'm not sure if that's real or not. I know they announced that there was going to be a Sonic 3DS game, but I doubt it'd be generations.

Also, Russ, I still can't understand why you loathed the Wii version of Sonic Colors so much. Aquarium Park is one of my favorite areas in any Sonic game ever. icon_razz.gif

#43 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 08 May 2011 - 11:31 PM

QUOTE(Sir Evan @ May 8 2011, 09:00 PM) View Post

Has anyone actually, you know, played Black Knight? Or did everyone just see a sword and yelled "F*** NO!!!"

I played it. Didn't mind the sword at all. it was the level design that bothered me. There were some good ones, but the majority were just "meh". I'd give it a 6/10. It wasn't really bad, but not exactly good either. Just okay, fun enough to keep me coming back, but not enough to get me real excited. I did love the bosses though.

Better than Unleashed, in my opinion. The Wisps felt more forced than the sword did. icon_unsettled.gif

Go play Unleashed 360/PS3. Now. Then rescind that statement. As for the Wisps, I'll agree with you. They felt horribly awkward in the Wii version of Colors.

Also, Russ, I still can't understand why you loathed the Wii version of Sonic Colors so much. Aquarium Park is one of my favorite areas in any Sonic game ever.

I've written whole posts on it before, but I'll try to sum it up real quickly. The controls were horrible. They were meant for fast running, not the tight platforming the game demands from you. The platforming felt out of place. Give that stuff to Mario, not Sonic. The Wisps were crap. Too much of the game was in 2D. The 3D parts were mostly just drifting around corners of walking left and right to dodge lasers. The game was too slow in general, not fast moving like Sonic should be. Too many puzzles. The only good ones were the blue block puzzles, which actually incorporated speed as an element. The writing was absolutely crappy. Over half the bosses were boring as heck. Every time it started to get good, it would get bad again and slap you in the face. And after playing the DS version and hearing the Wii one was even better, my expectations were pretty high. All these came together to present the worst Sonic game ever (yes, I will call it that).

#44 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 08 May 2011 - 11:45 PM

QUOTE(Sir Evan @ May 9 2011, 12:00 AM) View Post
Has anyone actually, you know, played Black Knight? Or did everyone just see a sword and yelled "F*** NO!!!" I honestly thought that Black Knight was a pretty good game. Better than Unleashed, in my opinion. The Wisps felt more forced than the sword did. icon_unsettled.gif
I own Black Knight. I played it through. The sword is a pain. And the level design was... spotty. But as far as what felt more forced, sword or Wisps, I can honestly say, I'd rather have the sword the Wisps Sega stop putting gimmicks in their games and stick to Sonic gaming. That's why I'm excited to see that Sonic Generations shows that it is nothing but Sonic gaming. The play style they invented for Sonic Unleashed can be the perfect system for Sonic. They just need tighter controls for the behind-the-back segments, and it's pretty much perfected. It's a system they don't ever need to stray from, unless they decided to go back to the Adventure-style controls. icon_razz.gif

#45 SpikeReynolds

SpikeReynolds

Ironically bald furry

• Members

Posted 09 May 2011 - 06:05 AM

Unleashed didn't have any glitches; we'll most likely be fine here.

Yea. Ran like s*** on the PS3 though.

I'm majorly excited for this now. That said, I think after this, I'd like to see them give the Unleashed-style levels a rest. Unleashed was fun, but I would LOVE to see them go back to a style more along the lines of the Sonic Adventure games.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users