Terraria!

• Please log in to reply
691 replies to this topic

#661 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 24 August 2015 - 05:17 PM

It's one of the most basic requirements of good enemy and boss design.  There should always be a way to dodge something; you should never, EVER force the player to take damage.

But in Terraria, after some point (Lunar events, some bosses/enemies), the enemies and bosses all move faster than you, and shoot fast.  So unless you can react in one or two frames, you're gonna get hit.

Edited by Koh, 24 August 2015 - 05:25 PM.

#662 Orithan

Orithan

Studying Scientist - Commission from Silvixen

• Members

Posted 26 August 2015 - 06:21 AM

KVX8IJO.png

WIP. This the base of operations that my character will be using for the majority of the game. I'm aiming for a cosmic observatory theme for this build, inspired by the Clock Town Observatory in Majora's Mask, and I hope I am on the way to nailing that atmosphere.

FYI, I wish the Painter would come now. His new 8 NPC spawn requirement sucks for people who like to build early on.

Edited by Orithan, 26 August 2015 - 06:24 AM.

• ShadowTiger, Nathaniel, Jenny and 1 other like this

#663 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 26 August 2015 - 08:23 AM

I agree with you there. I was fairly dismayed when I saw that. At least the Party Girl shows up earlier and faster. She's impossible to get ahold of. I once went an entire game without her. It was not a game worth playing. :sorry: .... Haha.

I like the tower. I keep wondering what would happen if it had a little wooden wall "foundation" of some sort at the base of the columns on the background. It's something impossible to describe of course, as the creative juices generally are, but I keep seeing wood at the bottom or borders of creative building internals all over the Terraria forums.

#664 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 26 August 2015 - 09:46 AM

My favourite end-game class? Ranged. Seriously, they are OP. 3-8k DPS, an armor set that provides no negative effects (Solar Flare attracts enemies), and extremely cool looking items to boot? Count me in.

Although, Mage is a close second. 

Edited by Dimentio, 26 August 2015 - 09:46 AM.

#665 KingPridenia

KingPridenia

King of Pridenia, Safehaven of the LGBTQ

• Members

Posted 26 August 2015 - 10:26 AM

Well to be fair, Melee classes are supposed to pull aggro away from Rangers, Mages and Summoners, hence why their end-game armor has the "enemies are more likely to target you" tag on it. Rangers on the other hand do NOT want everything focusing on them, nor do defensively bankrupt Mages and Summoners. To be fair though, it works out better in multiplayer than single player. Also, the two end-game ranged sets both have their disadvantages. Shroomite requires you to be perfectly still to maximize your damage potential, and against the Lunar Events, that's a bunch of deaths waiting to happen. At least Vortex addresses that problem by making it work at full strength even while moving, at the expense of moving slower, which again, during the Lunar Event or one of the Moon events, will kill dodging, something you absolutely NEED to have down pat as a Ranger.

So in a multiplayer environment, the melee user with Solar Flare or any other armor/accessories that pull enemy aggression can get many of the enemies to focus on him, allowing Rangers and Mages to attack in relative safety. It could also be a good synergy with a Mage using Spectre with the hood to heal the tank up while he draws enemy aggression and soaks up the damage with the Paladin's Shield. Naturally, Spectre Hood has been nerfed to near worthlessness (good luck hitting the wave 15 of a Pumpkin or Frost Moon with -40% magic damage in effect), but in a team setting, it could still be viable in that situation.

To me, here's how I feel:

Melee is spoon-fed at the start, but in general seems to fail at most bosses since most of them are out of your reach or otherwise hard to hit with melee weapons. This usually limits you to boomerangs, flails and yo-yos against bosses, since until you get projectile firing swords or a larger sword, you're not going to hit enemies easily. This seems to really be bad mid-game because have fun trying to kill The Twins or Skeletron Prime with a sword; you'll pretty much have to resort to Light Discs or a yo-yo to do any real damage given they're very anti-melee. End-game they get all kinds of weapons to overcome their lack of range, some of which frankly shouldn't be melee weapons (Daybreak). Also, Solar Flare armor really adds options for both tanking (-30% damage taken with the shield up at all) and the dash allows for good evasion. You're not a warrior or tank without it or its lesser alternative in Beetle Armor.

Ranged is viable early game and to be honest, when I get Corruption worlds, I usually farm materials to kill WoF as soon as possible using an Ebonwood Bow (alternatives being Iron or Lead Bow) and hiding under platforms while I kill Eaters with Flaming Arrows. Mid game it becomes essential for defeating the mechanical bosses, and the Megashark is the perfect weapon for The Twins and Skeletron Prime. Late game ranged becomes more reliant on evasive mastery due to average armor bonuses and lack of self-healing weapons. End-game they become insane; Phantasm or S.D.M.G anyone? Not to mention Vortex is a direct upgrade from Shroomite for set bonus.

Magic doesn't get much at the start other than a Wand of Sparking and if you get gems and ores fast enough, Gemstone Staves. Late pre-hardmode they really start to gain some good spells; Water Bolt being my favorite pre-HM weapon bar none. In Hardmode, their new spells are pretty easy to get (Crystal Storm being more or less a magic-based Megashark and Golden Shower for its debuff almost nothing is immune to). End-game they can either have good healing and awful damage with Spectre or overall higher DPS without self-healing. Of course, all that's out the window with full Nebula armor, and the end-game spells are crazy; Last Prism shreds the Destroyer in record time.

Summoning still feels like a gimmick class pre-Hardmode. The shame of it is that until you defeat Plantera and ideally get a Pygmy Staff, you won't be able to see a Summoner's true potential. Good luck beating Plantera with a nest of Spiders, a crew of Pirates or a swarm of The Twins that you won the respect of previously by the way. People complain about the awful defense of a Summoner, but that's not an issue since a Summoner can focus purely on evasion while everyone else has to aim AND dodge at the same time. It's just a shame Summoners have to wait 80% through the game's progression to at least become decent. Also, if you're doing a pure Summoner playthrough, have fun farming a Slime Staff with its 1 in 10,000 drop rate.

• Nathaniel and Logos like this

#666 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 26 August 2015 - 10:42 AM

Phantasm and SDMG with vortex are Super OP. If you have a shrimpy truffle paired with vortex, you are pretty much a flying archer of death.

Last prism is more OP than the ranged weapons, but good luck getting the mana pots and accessory's needed to feel it's true potential or use it for more than 3 seconds.

Solar Eruption and the Terrarian/Eye of Cthulhu are my 2 favourite melee weapons.  Seriously, an Eye of Cthulhu pretty much wrecks everything pre-Plantera, and the Terrarian is a direct upgrade from it. Solar Eruption is just sweet to have in caves.

Summoner is a bit lame pre-Plantera, but the summoner end game stuff is fantastic. Not that good, though, compared to the other 3 end gear stuff.

Honestly, I'm glad they paid attention to making sure that not everybody chooses just one armor type. I mean, most people would use beetle before, and now they have a choice of armor depending on what their favourite class is. Now, if only they had a throwing endgame armor.

#667 Orithan

Orithan

Studying Scientist - Commission from Silvixen

• Members

Posted 27 August 2015 - 07:32 PM

So the painter arrived and I managed to get further in the project, so here's an update:

NHgym5T.png

• Nathaniel, coolgamer012345 and KingPridenia like this

#668 KingPridenia

KingPridenia

King of Pridenia, Safehaven of the LGBTQ

• Members

Posted 27 August 2015 - 08:00 PM

That looks nice Orithan! I wish I could be bothered to actually try designing epic structures instead of boring 8x5 interior boxes.

I went after the Moon Lord a few more times and picked up Last Prism, Meowmere and another Terrarian. I shortly after was able to trigger the Martian Madness event and got the Brain Scrambler (on the first kill!) and shortly after, the first Martian Saucer I destroyed gave me a Cosmic Car Key, so guess who can remove his wings in favor of an offensively suited accessory instead? Time to farm for a Destroyer Emblem so I have much better DPS. To be honest, my accessories aren't very offensively oriented. The 84 defense from Solar Flare and Ankh Shield are way more than enough. Time to get all menacing reforges. And yes, RedmageAdam is going to be chiefly melee-suited and built mostly around the Terrarian (with a Ruthless modifier; debating if I should bother trying to reforge to Godly).

I also made Solar Flare Pickaxe and Hamaxe. Got a Light reforge on the former on my first attempt (from Unhappy) and settled for Agile on the Hamaxe. Now to get enough Luminite to complete the other three sets of final armor. At least I'm getting better at dealing with the Lunar Events and Moon Lord. Still have a lot of practice to do, but I'm doing far better than before. Getting less and less reliant on Vampire Knives (although against the Moon Lord, I can't use them most of the time anyway thanks to Moon Bite).

On another note, I need to remember I can't dash with Solar Flare armor without charges. I keep getting myself hit thinking I can dash whenever as if I had a Tabi or Master Ninja Gear equipped. Thank goodness that Solar Flare has such good defense, otherwise I think I would see "You were slain..." a lot more. Speaking of which, sometimes the random messages make no sense, such as being "chopped up by Golem" if he kills you by stomping on you for instance. I wouldn't mind new death messages though, such as:

"RedmageAdam got rekt by [entity]."

"RedmageAdam's Epic Fail, written by [entity]." - Such as RedmageAdam's Epic Fail, written by Plantera.

"RedmageAdam was clearly no match for [entity]."

"RedmageAdam's game was ended by [entity]."

"Here lies RedmageAdam. Cause of death: [entity]."

Edited by RedmageAdam, 27 August 2015 - 08:01 PM.

#669 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 28 August 2015 - 12:33 PM

So the painter arrived and I managed to get further in the project, so here's an update:

NHgym5T.png

You're hired!  Well, if we ever played one of these days, that is.  That's very nice.

As for me, I built something inspired by the Acropolis, made completely of marble, with background walls on the outer sides shaped like columns.  The best I can do with what is available.  They cover most of the building's height, which is more than a full screen high.  I should share it sometime, once I get the opportunity to return to my home computer.  Has all the fine trimmings of a home deep into hardmode, except a surface mushroom biome.  A lot of my recent homes have a top or near top level that serves as a minecart crossing, with actuators and pressure plate tracks keeping the interior sealed.

• ShadowTiger and KingPridenia like this

#670 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 28 August 2015 - 10:58 PM

Capture%202015-08-28%2023_54_55.png

• Koh and KingPridenia like this

#671 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 29 August 2015 - 11:40 AM

That's kinda sexy. Marble at its finest.

I tend to make a conglomerate of many different types of micro-biomes of tilesets, all encased in a large walled off town.

Example 1, and Example 2, both in progress.
  • KingPridenia likes this

#672 coolgamer012345

coolgamer012345

🔸

• Members

Posted 22 December 2015 - 04:50 AM

Apparently you can do this.

a5lSIHW.png

halp.

Edit: Didn't want to double post but:
t2aaQEh.png

Good block mining priorities m8? No? ok then.

Edited by Coolgamer012345, 23 December 2015 - 04:23 AM.

• Joelmacool likes this

#673 coolgamer012345

coolgamer012345

🔸

• Members

Posted 23 December 2015 - 07:12 PM

So after many hardships, dyings, grinding and the likes, I have finally made this:

LkxYr2U.png

(the laser drill mount, which requires 40 Lumanite, Chlorophyte, Shroomite, Spectre, Hellstone and Meteorite Bars. Also I should note I'm using dye which is why the mount looks different)

It's really fast at mining, but sadly you can't use any tools or place any blocks (luckily you can still interact with blocks, like chests)

Edited by Coolgamer012345, 23 December 2015 - 07:14 PM.

#674 CyberGamer1539

CyberGamer1539

Lord of Cyberspace

• Members

Posted 23 December 2015 - 07:42 PM

Good job! I'm not that far yet, but I should be making decent progress when my friend Tyler gets Terraria (PC) for Christmas and we play it every single day. It's just not very fun when you're alone!

Edited by CyberGamer1539, 23 December 2015 - 07:44 PM.

#675 Jenny

Jenny

Hero of Time

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 09 March 2020 - 09:22 PM

Sorry to bump an ancient thread, but I'm interested in running a Terraria server soon and I figured I'd ask if anyone was interested in joining. It'll have some mods (mostly quality of life things, nothing extreme). 

Anyone is free to join, just let me know. 

https://tmodloader.net/ here's the site with instructions on how to set up mods. It's nothing difficult.

• ShadowTiger, Shane, Hari and 2 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users