ZC

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#16 C-Dawg

C-Dawg

Magus

• Members

Posted 28 August 2015 - 05:42 PM

Unlike Legacy, though, this game does provide you with in-game tips on where to go. Seems like such a shame to ignore em...

#17 MeleeWizard

MeleeWizard

Best of both worlds.

• Members

Posted 28 August 2015 - 08:53 PM

Ask anybody who regularly watches my videos; I'm not exactly known for my observational skills.

#18 C-Dawg

C-Dawg

Magus

• Members

Posted 29 August 2015 - 10:14 AM

Aw, it's not that.  I could tell that when you started playing you were looking for Zelda Classic common tropes; you were even trying to identify which enemy corresponded to Zelda enemies you were familiar with.  It is only over time that you have started to abandon those pretenses; enemies are whatever they are, maps don't exist, you need to write down coordinate clues you get... these are all alien to the normal Zelda Classic experience.  You had to do some un-learning, that's all.  I bet your passage through Cancer is much smoother than the one through Aries!

#19 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 29 August 2015 - 11:12 PM

I almost got satisfied when you found that secret pathway near the recharge room in episode 6... And then you just assumed it was a "come back this later" kind of deal. I facepalmed.

#20 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 30 August 2015 - 05:16 AM

If there's anything that ZODIAC has taught me, it's to bomb abso-frickin-lutely everything.

Nothing is off limits.

Nothing.

Your new life begins today, my young atomosophiliac.

#21 MeleeWizard

MeleeWizard

Best of both worlds.

• Members

Posted 30 August 2015 - 02:21 PM

Part 8

I almost wish everything was just the shape of its hitbox, but then things would become bland and uninteresting.

#22 Anarchy_Balsac

Anarchy_Balsac

Quest Builder

• Members

Posted 30 August 2015 - 02:43 PM

Part 8

I almost wish everything was just the shape of its hitbox, but then things would become bland and uninteresting.

I'm not sure about zscript, but in other programming languages this is very possible.    It takes a lot of tedious work though, so it's unsurprising that very few actually do this.  Not zero, but not far from it.

#23 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 30 August 2015 - 05:17 PM

Congrats! Now you can accidentally go through the water level thinking it's where the disintigrator beam is, when really it's not! :D

Also, unrelated question, but  are you going to LP Link's Quest for the Hookshot 2 after this? You appear as a boss in it, and you did play the first one, so...

#24 C-Dawg

C-Dawg

Magus

• Members

Posted 30 August 2015 - 07:33 PM

I'm not sure about zscript, but in other programming languages this is very possible.    It takes a lot of tedious work though, so it's unsurprising that very few actually do this.  Not zero, but not far from it.

Sure, you can do it, and it's not THAT hard. I just noticed the issue so late in development that I just don't wanna.

So, some bullets in Zodiac are enemy weap on objects. These have an easily adjustable hit box. But, many others are FFCs. This allows me to script them.

Now, ostensibly, you can adjust the hit box for FFCS. When I want a big enemy, I don't bother; I use my own collision detection function. Now. I can't use this to make an FFC smaller.

When you make an FFC smaller using ZQuest, the smaller FFC detects collision from the upper left. So, if I make an FFC hit box 4x4 the top left quadrant of the FFC is what matters. So, if you do this, your sprites and code need to adjust to account for the offset.

That could all be done. But, because I did not do this from the get-go, there are A LOT of code chucks to adjust. I might do some of em, but only the most obvious.

The other fix is to make the sprites bigger so the collision looks better; I already used this solution in TONS of places.

#25 Anarchy_Balsac

Anarchy_Balsac

Quest Builder

• Members

Posted 30 August 2015 - 07:51 PM

Of course it's not HARD, hence why I said it was tedious.  It just takes forever and ever.  But a much tamer workaround is to have the hitbox be a simple, close, but imprecise shape.  Such as making a circle's hitbox into an octogonical shape of similar size, or using 2 rectangles to closley cover up a body, instead of using 20-25 to do so precisely.

#26 MeleeWizard

MeleeWizard

Best of both worlds.

• Members

Posted 30 August 2015 - 09:32 PM

Also, unrelated question, but  are you going to LP Link's Quest for the Hookshot 2 after this? You appear as a boss in it, and you did play the first one, so...

Yeah, it's definitely on my list.  Technically, it wouldn't even be a blind run, but it has been so long since I last played it, it might as well be.

#27 MeleeWizard

MeleeWizard

Best of both worlds.

• Members

Posted 01 September 2015 - 01:38 PM

Part 9

I fear the day when this game becomes completely non-linear.

Also, I know I missed some things in Aries, but I'm not going to concern myself with it for now.  I'm convinced that survivability in lava will become a thing at some point, so I know I'll be going back there eventually.

#28 C-Dawg

C-Dawg

Magus

• Members

Posted 01 September 2015 - 01:50 PM

The game gets progressively less and less linear as you go.  It's not a straight line -- there are certainly parts where the plot sets it up so that you're told "GO HERE NOW! HURRY!" -- but, in general, more and more of the Zodiac opens up with each upgrade. Combine that with all the backtracking and secrets you can get in earlier zones, and... yeah.

Yes, it's true: eventually you will be immune to lava.  No, that will not happen anytime soon.  We're talking almost-very-end-of-the-game here.

Edited by C-Dawg, 01 September 2015 - 01:59 PM.

#29 MeleeWizard

MeleeWizard

Best of both worlds.

• Members

Posted 03 September 2015 - 03:38 PM

Part 10

When entering the belly of the beast, take care to avoid the antibodies.

#30 chocobothief12

chocobothief12

Junior

• Members

Posted 03 September 2015 - 04:58 PM

Just finished watching the new video and I can definitely tell you that starting from cancer onwards, you're definitely going to be annoyed at times with precision platforming. Especially when it forces you to backtrack through large portions of map. Good luck with the next episode though, and don't be afraid to use the ship's special weapon in the corridor levels :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ZC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users