The State Of ZC On Linux

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Eurysilas

Eurysilas

Paladin

• Members

Posted 06 March 2008 - 07:35 PM

I'm a Linux user exclusively. I also use Zelda Classic, though. It works well (or at least, 2.10.2 does), but for one thing: THERE IS NO SOUND. Now, I'm sure that the developers are aware of this, and have their reasons for why this is, but I myself would like to know those reasons. I did some research, (which mainly consisted of getting on channel #Allegro at Freenode), and this is what the Allegro people tell me:
  • Midi is done one of two ways: softsynth or hardware. Hardware means you have to have a separate soundcard or a high-end on-board sound chip. Softsynth, on the other hand, does not.
  • Softsynth is accomplished on both Windows and Linux using a softsynth program. On Windows the program varies, on Linux it is Timidity++.
  • The problem is, though, while the softsynth in Windows is designed to be used as a MIDI codec, Linux's Timidity++ is not.
  • Ergo, the lag when using Timidity++ as a softsynth in combination with ALSA, which makes it a non-viable option.
  • The lag, I am told, could be solved by using Allegro's DIGIMID driver, which will reduce the latency, but is "iffy", as they put it (I have NO clue what is meant by that, other than they said it won't be as good as Timidity++).
So my question to the Zelda Classic developers (who sometimes come here) is:
  1. Have I got this all right? Or have I misunderstood?
  2. Can this be improved?
  3. Are you willing to improve it?

Edited by Ireclan, 07 March 2008 - 11:18 AM.

#2 Aslion

Aslion

End Fascism

• Members

Posted 06 March 2008 - 07:37 PM

Go to your volume settings ans turn SW Synth up.'
Edit: Oh, Linux. Well good luck there.

Edited by gray0x, 06 March 2008 - 07:38 PM.

#3 Eurysilas

Eurysilas

Paladin

• Members

Posted 06 March 2008 - 07:39 PM

gray0x, that's not going to help....Linux isn't built that way.

#4 Linkus

Linkus

• Members

Posted 06 March 2008 - 08:15 PM

Did you run "Lost Woods"?

#5 Eurysilas

Eurysilas

Paladin

• Members

Posted 07 March 2008 - 11:17 AM

Yes. It doesn't work, of course.

#6 Link1

Link1

Senior

• Members

Posted 09 March 2008 - 02:49 PM

I don't think there are many Linux developers, especially now Koopa's left. icon_frown.gif

Maybe their eventual rewrite of ZC & ditching of Allegro for 3.0 will help.

#7 Eurysilas

Eurysilas

Paladin

• Members

Posted 09 March 2008 - 06:29 PM

QUOTE(Link1)
Maybe their eventual rewrite of ZC & ditching of Allegro for 3.0 will help.

Yes, but 3.0 is, if the pace of 2.5 tells anything, a LOOOONG ways off. I was hoping that this problem could be solved with what resources we have. Surely Linux isn't so obscure that my questions can't be answered, even if nothing is actually coded to help the situation out. I do hope I get a developer in here soon, though.

Edited by Ireclan, 09 March 2008 - 06:32 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users