• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#16 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 10 March 2008 - 10:42 AM

QUOTE(russadwan @ Mar 10 2008, 09:28 AM) View Post

What is there not to like about it? It's the best tileset in existance!

Nope... it isn't... Sure, it may be one of the best looking ones in terms of tiles... but...
Still, I think it all has to do with who uses it...
Like, let's say ''BenRidly'' (fictonal n00b of mine) uses it... He sucks with it... Sure, he sucks with pure too, but he sucks even harder with this... People is saying ''Eeew! Wtf is that?!''
Now...
This dude, ''Tokattenavn'', is extremly good with it... He makes it look perfect...
Now, people are saying ''wow! What tileset is that?!'' and so on...

They both used the same tileset... and...
Well, my point is that DoR has become hard to make look good.
You need to take time... carefully place the tiles and make everything perfect... Not just slap on a green grass tile and throw in 3 tiles of mountains, while making them extremly straight...
DoR is a set you have to actually design...
Now, not everyone likes the set afterall...
DoR should be for the ones that knows what they're doing... not for BenRidly...
''Tokattenavn'' means ''To Cat Names''... ''Kalle and ''Migo'' is the names of my cats icon_wink.gif
I think you can figure ut who the other ''fictional'' character is... [/cocky]

#17 DarkFlameWolf

DarkFlameWolf

Murana Wolford

• Members

Posted 10 March 2008 - 11:57 AM

its not that I can't use the set or use it well. Its just that 90% of the tiles is more or less what I've been using already in previous quests. There is nothing really 'NEW' that would make my entire quest stand out from any others. So there is no reason for me to re-hash another quest with same old graphics that I've been using in other quests.

#18 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 10 March 2008 - 12:20 PM

Nono, sure, I didn't mean you couldn't handle the set...
icon_razz.gif
But I do agree with you... But only when seen from your view... You've made alot of quests... so for you, this is kinda ''old''... since I haven't finished any quests yet, I feel that the set is great...
Now... I need to work on mah lufia 4 tileset icon_wink.gif

#19 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 18 March 2008 - 04:25 AM

Whoah, how'd I miss this topic? icon_odd.gif I really need to check "Active Topics" more often... I've been holed up in my QPF too much lately.

Yes, the DoR Tileset Update (version 1.9 and 2.0) is now available in the database. icon_smile.gif Please take a look when you have the time. I've linked to it in my signature.

QUOTE(Evile @ Mar 4 2008, 11:53 AM) View Post

Yeah, Rad is using the new version of DoR for his quest, why wouldn't he?

Actually.... I'm not. icon_heh.gif Why, you ask?...

Because DoR The Quest branched off from DoR The Tileset quite awhile ago. I kept moving combos around, and upgrading features, and so on and so on, not to mention importing it into later ZQuest betas. In order to truly make a tileset "upgrade" (version 1.9), as opposed to an entirely new version of the tileset (version 2.0), I had to use the original tileset release as my starting point.

Of course, many of the tileset features were imported from the quest. There were other features made specifically for the tileset, and I DO plan on importing many of those new features into the quest, but it'll be a time-consuming process and I haven't done much of it yet.

QUOTE(DarkFlameWolf @ Mar 10 2008, 09:57 AM) View Post
its not that I can't use the set or use it well. Its just that 90% of the tiles is more or less what I've been using already in previous quests. There is nothing really 'NEW' that would make my entire quest stand out from any others. So there is no reason for me to re-hash another quest with same old graphics that I've been using in other quests.

Being a tileset update, most of the gameplay elements of the original have remained, albeit expanded noticeably. However, saying that DoR 2.0 uses "the same old graphics" is simply not accurate. If that's what you thought when you viewed the prerelease, I believe you really need to look back to see how different the original DoR looked. Here's just one example of old versus new.

IPB Image IPB Image

Additionally, a lot has been changed/added in the 2 1/2 months since the prerelease that DFW looked at. Please check out the full database release sometime, if only to see the new snowy overworld tiles (and the new winter palettes that go along with them).

#20 LostInHyru1e

LostInHyru1e

Can you take me as far as PureZC?

• Members

Posted 18 March 2008 - 10:50 AM

Well, if you think DoR is "nothing new", and obviously no-one here can satisfy your Tileset needs, why don't you make your own? icon_razz.gif

#21 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 18 March 2008 - 11:22 AM

C'mon, guys, give her a break. If she doesn't like it, it's her preference. And for what it's worth, I do see where you're coming from- naturally, I disagree with you, but your opinion is still no less valid.

Really, the only way you can make a unique quest with any tileset is to upgrade it on your own. For example, right now I'm going through the painstaking process of replacing all the DoR dirt with a less-used variant, I've custom-edited the small graves (nice work on those, Radien) and I'm using a different version of the big tree. The key is to just add, add, add!

#22 LostInHyru1e

LostInHyru1e

Can you take me as far as PureZC?

• Members

Posted 18 March 2008 - 11:29 AM

Missed this before...

Actually.... I'm not. icon_heh.gif Why, you ask?...

Because DoR The Quest branched off from DoR The Tileset quite awhile ago. I kept moving combos around, and upgrading features, and so on and so on, not to mention importing it into later ZQuest betas. In order to truly make a tileset "upgrade" (version 1.9), as opposed to an entirely new version of the tileset (version 2.0), I had to use the original tileset release as my starting point.

I am deeply sad about this. I thought you had some sort of an "Import" pack thingymagiggy that would let you mass-replace a lot of the tiles in DoR? C'mon, you've got to use your best work for your own quest!

#23 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 18 March 2008 - 11:46 AM

QUOTE(LostInHyru1e @ Mar 18 2008, 11:29 AM) View Post

Missed this before...
I am deeply sad about this. I thought you had some sort of an "Import" pack thingymagiggy that would let you mass-replace a lot of the tiles in DoR? C'mon, you've got to use your best work for your own quest!
Actually... he's using better than DoR 2.0 for his own quest, I think. I think he's just musing that he's changed the DoR Quest file so much that it is no longer compatible with the DoR tileset.

#24 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 19 March 2008 - 01:55 AM

QUOTE(LostInHyru1e @ Mar 18 2008, 08:50 AM) View Post

Well, if you think DoR is "nothing new", and obviously no-one here can satisfy your Tileset needs, why don't you make your own? icon_razz.gif

DFW already explained that in another thread. She's still perplexed by palettes and recoloring tiles, and needs help figuring out how to do them properly. If you've looked around, you'll notice that she's right that there really aren't any good palette tutorials out there.

Anyway, please don't gang up on DFW. I don't want any arguments to extend to this thread, as well.

QUOTE(Ebola Zaire @ Mar 18 2008, 09:22 AM) View Post
I've custom-edited the small graves (nice work on those, Radien)

Linkus is responsible for pretty much all grave edits this time around. icon_smile.gif All I did was add the terrain and stuff.

QUOTE(LostInHyru1e @ Mar 18 2008, 09:29 AM) View Post
Missed this before...

Oh, no, nothing that simple and convenient for the creator of the tileset. icon_blah.gif

Very little of the "goodies" added into the tileset will be left out of the quest. It's just that I can't wave a magic wand and have everything update for me without doing the work.

Right now the only thing I can think of that I won't be able to use are the snowy SD trees. This is because I'm using a much larger and more detailed regular treetop, and I don't have a snow-covered version of those custom trees. That's not huge problem, though. Snowpeak's probably the only place that's going to have snow, and the few trees that will be found in that area will be pine trees (this is pretty natural in a mountain environment, anyway).

QUOTE(Ebola Zaire @ Mar 18 2008, 09:46 AM) View Post

Actually... he's using better than DoR 2.0 for his own quest, I think. I think he's just musing that he's changed the DoR Quest file so much that it is no longer compatible with the DoR tileset.

Yes and no. Some things are better in the tileset. "Compatible" is a subjective word, but offhand I'd say that the quest wasn't compatible with the tileset to begin with. But that doesn't mean I can't adapt first, then incorporate the changes. icon_smile.gif

#25 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

Tell all with glee, Argon's on PureZC

• Members

Posted 19 March 2008 - 03:25 AM

QUOTE(Ebola Zaire @ Mar 18 2008, 05:46 PM) View Post

How about that Radien just uses a better DoR for his own quest that stuff still stay unique, or isn't that allowed anymore? It's a bit irritating to see everyone using your tileset when you want to build your own quest with it, so Radien uses a more detailed version of DoR for his own.

#26 DarkFlameWolf

DarkFlameWolf

Murana Wolford

• Members

Posted 19 March 2008 - 09:06 AM

well CastChaos and I are in talks together about making a completely unique tileset. So look out for that later this year. No real release date set at all. But it should prove to be interesting. icon_wink.gif

#27 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

• Members

Posted 19 March 2008 - 11:56 AM

That sounds quite interesting indeed, I guess there should be made a topic for this alone in the Magnificent QPF.
I'm sure lots of people are waiting for a good tileset, the other good ones are getting overused at the time.

#28 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 19 March 2008 - 03:18 PM

QUOTE(Twilight_Knight @ Mar 19 2008, 11:56 AM) View Post

That sounds quite interesting indeed, I guess there should be made a topic for this alone in the Magnificent QPF.
I'm sure lots of people are waiting for a good tileset, the other good ones are getting overused at the time.
Yeah, DoR 2.0 is quite overused, but I suppose use will go down over time. I give it about a month before all this hype (Hype! Brought to you by CastChaos! Order now!) dies down and people start to use tilesets that they're capable of wielding.

#29 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

• Members

Posted 19 March 2008 - 03:24 PM

Just what Castchaos said, edit, rip and draw your own tiles to make the DoR set more unique, I'm doing it right now.

#30 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 19 March 2008 - 03:27 PM

QUOTE(Twilight_Knight @ Mar 19 2008, 01:25 AM) View Post
How about that Radien just uses a better DoR for his own quest that stuff still stay unique, or isn't that allowed anymore? It's a bit irritating to see everyone using your tileset when you want to build your own quest with it, so Radien uses a more detailed version of DoR for his own.

The quest has Minish Cap water, for starters, including diagonal and other edits by me. I also have different trees, brush, and hedges, among other things.

QUOTE(Ebola Zaire @ Mar 19 2008, 01:18 PM) View Post
Yeah, DoR 2.0 is quite overused, but I suppose use will go down over time. I give it about a month before all this hype (Hype! Brought to you by CastChaos! Order now!) dies down and people start to use tilesets that they're capable of wielding.

You may say "overused," but I for one am proud to know that some of the recent SotWs have been comprised mostly or completely of quests using the DoR tileset. icon_wink.gif Especially since most of them have used the tileset pretty well. If I have to work to compete with people who are using my own tileset, that means they're doing something right. (not that I've entered recently...)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users