Custom Quests I would like to see made

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 octorok

octorok

Lord of the Octoroks

• Members

Posted 20 February 2008 - 07:07 PM

Hey it's been a long while since I've been on here or even chatted. I still play zelda all the time, and get on here and check out the latest news and quests. I was curious why there aren't as many quests out there that don't have anything to do with Zelda. I mean ... when I see ZC I see potential for great games to be made. That's why I attempted to make a Star Wars game, but failed. I guess it has to do with patience cause first it takes forever to make a quest, and secondly completely from scratch. Megaman and Metroid have been done ... what other ones? Hmm can't remember ... But anywho, here's some ideas I had for some great quests that would be flippin cool. And heck, maybe some people are actually working on them right now!?!? Let us know if you're stirring up something other than another Zelda story.

Star Wars
I tried it and didn't get very far. I've heard rumor of other people trying it but never saw anything. It was fun, I had a huge dream that this would go somewhere. I actually still work on it from time to time. It was going to be the prequel to Knights of the Old Republic, I called it "The Mandalorian War". It had a lot of really cool ideas for the inventory / weapons, enemies, etc. It was just too much to take on for one person who works, has a wife, and a job from home. I actually released a Star Wars demo using all my stuff I had done, I'm not sure if many people actually got to play it, maybe I should re-release it sometime soon. icon_eyebrow.gif

Halo
Okay, this is a no-brainer. You could do such an amazing adventuring game based off Halo. I've seen some sprites pop up here and there, but I'd really like to see a cool quest developed off the Halo concept. I mean you can't have a complete arsenal of weapons in your inventory but with a creative mind you can have an Energy Sword, pistol, rocket launcher, other fun stuff. You probably wouldn't have to change too much in some tilesets to pull it off either. Everybody loves Halo!

Thundercats
Okay I know this sounds strange but I'm a huge fan of 80's cartoons and when I bought all the seasons on DVD and watched them ... I thought "oh my gosh this concept would go great with ZC!!" And if you think about it, it kinda does. Thundercats (as corny as it was), had a very solid story to it. Lots of recognizable places on the map, lots of weapons and lots of baddies. You could construct a Cat's Lair and use it to be like a HQ for your character. Lion-O could go through a trial and have to get his Sword of Omens at the beginning of the game. He quests through Third Earth to find and rescue different races of people, befriending other Thundercats, getting new items, leveling up, ultimately to the final battle with Mummra! Just like Ganon. I mean it's the perfect marriage!!

He-Man and the Masters of the Universe
Did I mention I like 80's cartoons? Yeah this TV show also sparked my curiosity if it could be pulled off in ZC. And my imagination takes off. Main character of course He-Man, the story ... could be ANYTHING. They had about a zajillion specific locations, weapons, items, people, and bad guys in the show that you could do about anything. But I think it would be a very solid game. The only thing would be weird is that Eternia's landscape is extremely colorful and strange looking. You would have to make your own tileset for this game, which in the end I'm not sure if anyone could benefit from it however.

X-Men
Okay this one I'm not TOO sure about, but if you were to play as Wolverine for the main character, it might be done well. It could be done a lot like the Megaman quest, have familiar x-men to help you along, fighting all of the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants through the levels, and ultimately a showdown with Magneto. Superb idea, I think it could be done.

Batman
This one, if done right ... would be way awesome. I mean grappling hook on top of roofs and throwing your bat-a-rang (boomerang). What the heck, perfect combination isn't it!? I've actually always had this idea for a Batman ZC quest where Batman' character sprites are like this: Since batman doesn't have like a signature weapon and he can't use a sword, why not have his north and south facing sprites be used to punch, and when he's turned left or right, he would kick instead? So it looks like he's using all his kung-fu goodness to fight off baddies instead of a sword. Make the sprite selected at the top of the screen be like a [FIST] or something and then just change the sprites he uses to kick and punch into fists and legs? This game would be fun to do I think ... Cause Batman has a LOT of fun ideas you could use in one single game.

Spiderman
Same concept as Batman *see above* Web Slinging, punching, kicking, saving Mary Jane, kicking bad guys BUTTS in the process. Oh it would rule.

Lord of the Rings
Er ... maybe not. Too epic. icon_lol.gif

Super Mario Bros.
Okay I think someone may have already done a quest like this, but I don't remember it being any good. I think if you took sprites from various games, combined em, and did it right you could pull it off. Something like what I talked about Batman with using punch and maybe kick sprites for the replacement of the sword. Or even like in Mario RPG, where he gets a hammer, and several other weapons I believe. Just pull resources from all Mario games, and you could have a blast with this game. Saving Princess Zel ... I mean Peach, and Defeating Gan ... I mean Bowser. Man the two games are just alike!!! That Miyamato ... icon_rolleyes.gif

Transformers
I thought LONG and HARD on this one. Cause I'm not sure if you know this or not but I love 80's cartoons. But seriously though ... I don't think this one could work. The Autobots and Decepticons are huge robots and you would have to like scale it to human sized buildings and stuff, it would be too complicated in my humblest opinon. I would hate to screw up one of the best cartoons ever.

Dungeons and Dragons
I would love to see a quest that was Dungeons and Dragons-ish. Even though Zelda is kinda like it, but have it much more medieval and dark and fantasy-like with goblins, trolls, elfs, etc. An original story would be a lot of fun to play.

Okay the Dungeons and Dragons thing was a bit silly but that's all I can think of right now. Let me know what you guys think of my ideas, and if you think it would work, why and why not and what quests you would enjoy seeing besides any of these.

PEACE!
-octorok

#2 Aeon

Aeon

• Members

Posted 21 February 2008 - 02:55 AM

While I wouldn't mind seeing some quests that break out of the "Link rescues Zelda" or "Link saves the world" mold, the LAST thing I want to see is bunch of quests based on other games. If you want to have a story about a lone knight trying to protect his kingdom from evil, then more power to you! But if you're just going to have "The Legend of X-Men" or "Spiderman's Quest", forget it. Those are lame. Use some originality. icon_confused.gif

Actually though, something I would like to see is perhaps some quests which are designed more like the way Metroid games are designed, where there are no "levels", just areas that you have to explore and items that you have to retrieve in order to progress further. I don't know how doable that is with the ZC engine, but it could be cool to try something like that. icon_cool.gif

You see, there's always little clichés in Zelda quests. Like how you never have to return to a dungeon once you've beaten it, or how every grid square of an overworld map has to be filled with something. What if the "overworld" was arranged like a big cavern and you never knew which parts were accessible, or what if you acquired a new item on "level 6" and realized that it would let you access that one place you couldn't figure out how to get into on "level 3", which in reality opened up the way to "level 7"? icon_freak.gif

Well, that's my short rant for tonight. I'm going to bed now. icon_wacky.gif

#3 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 21 February 2008 - 06:02 AM

Well, my first quest in a slightly Star Wars-ized Zelda and I wanted to make a more Star Wars-ish sequel, but always gave up.

Generally, 2.10 can't make a 100% non-Zeldaish quest, but it will be possible with 2.5. From your list, He-Man would be the one which could be pulled off nicely in 2.10, I think. I loved that cartoon.

#4 octorok

octorok

Lord of the Octoroks

• Members

Posted 21 February 2008 - 07:56 AM

Yeah, Aeon I agree with you there about quests. It would make a lot more quests have a lot more depth if you actually had to go back to dungeons or areas to figure stuff out after you've gotten a certain item or gotten certain clues. I've always had that idea about my Star Wars quest I wanted to do, because I wanted to make it huge just like the Knights of the Old Republic, with lots of hidden stuff, varying on different planets. That's a good point, and it's something I don't see often in earlier Zelda games, or a lot of ZC quests on here. I did notice playing newer Zelda games however they kinda do that, where you can go back and reveal new things about an older place you went to. Adds depth.

I haven't heard much about 2.5 what new features will be available in it?

#5 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 21 February 2008 - 08:06 AM

QUOTE(octorok @ Feb 21 2008, 01:56 PM) View Post

I haven't heard much about 2.5 what new features will be available in it?

Item editor, enemy editor, freeform combos, item scripts, freeform combo scripts, global scripts, roomstate carry overs, subscreen editor and 1000% better customization for everything. You can have as many Triforce pieces as you want, every one different. You can have an own subscreen for every and any DMap. Big Link, bigger Link. Sideview. The next step is a ZC that is capable to remake ALttP completely. I imagine the ALttP main manu with the ExampleALttP.sqt (SNES Quest) file as default.

In 2.10, none of the good non-Zelda quests became really non-Zeldaish. The best one, Mega Man: Dr.Wily's Revenge DC has Triforces and some Zelda references, for example.

#6 octorok

octorok

Lord of the Octoroks

• Members

Posted 21 February 2008 - 08:31 AM

Aaaaahhh nice. When do you think that will be available? Anytime soon? I'd like to play around with those features for sure! Then anybody could create non-zelda quests that would be awesome.

#7 Link1

Link1

Senior

• Members

Posted 21 February 2008 - 08:40 AM

QUOTE(octorok @ Feb 21 2008, 01:31 PM) View Post

Aaaaahhh nice. When do you think that will be available? Anytime soon? I'd like to play around with those features for sure! Then anybody could create non-zelda quests that would be awesome.

Once all the bugs have gone. For the meantime, you can try the latest alpha build here, although read the WARNING-READ.txt file first!

#8 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 21 February 2008 - 08:47 AM

My primary expectation that the stable 2.5 will never be finished, but you can "play around" with those features even now. Here are the latest builds and some info on them:
http://shardstorm.dreamhosters.com/

You can download any build from there. If 2.5 comes out, that won't be a sudden thing, there will be a hot discussion about how few bugs are there, then an announcement about the official last minute testing begun, and then... it comes. Almost a year ago, I calculated the most possible date for a 2.5 release, but I forgot it by now and as I said, I don't think development wouldn't die in a year... ZC activity already dropped to a critical level.

#9 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

Tell all with glee, Argon's on PureZC

• Members

Posted 21 February 2008 - 09:28 AM

CastChaos, I'm quite sure the number of questmakers/players will increase at soon as 2.5 comes out. Bigger and better quests usually(except for yours, which is something I enjoy) wait for this new version.

And about the non Zelda quests,
Well I saw some very good ones, like the ones you already stated, but don't forgot to include Valerie's Mario games (very voilent). Those are very good.
Maybe an idea is to make a Pokemon quest. icon_razz.gif
Another one, is just making a whole custom quest, withouth using Zelda stuff. neither existing video games.

#10 octorok

octorok

Lord of the Octoroks

• Members

Posted 21 February 2008 - 09:45 AM

Yeah a pokemon game would be good actually. An adventure game instead of a leveling up your pokemon type game. You would search out and try to recover rare stolen pokemon and have to battle cool custom bosses. I think it would work perfect, especially since the game sorta plays like Zelda with a top down view.

#11 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 21 February 2008 - 04:04 PM

I actually want to attempt a DND style quest. It sounds interesting.

#12 Rocksfan13

Rocksfan13

Looks best in Blue

• Members

Posted 21 February 2008 - 04:25 PM

I WAS working on the design of a Simpson's quest.
But it quickly died due to the members that wanted to help loosing interest in ZC and disappearing off the planet. icon_shrug.gif
I would still like to try it though.
Any takers? *cough* *cough*

A Harry Potter one might be an interesting one as well.

#13 octorok

octorok

Lord of the Octoroks

• Members

Posted 21 February 2008 - 04:33 PM

Oh yeah Harry Potter would be a great quest!! I'm not sure how you would pull off a simpsons quest? What would you do in the quest?? I mean I'm sure there's a lot of locations and people, but what about weapons and stuff?

#14 Rocksfan13

Rocksfan13

Looks best in Blue

• Members

Posted 21 February 2008 - 04:44 PM

We were planning all of that.

We had donuts, beer cans, bowling balls, a slingshot, the skateboard. Even had the idea of switching the characters during the game.

We really did have a good going on. We even had an interesting story idea. A few actually.

It would have been interesting to say the least.

#15 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 21 February 2008 - 04:51 PM

But at least this way you have more time for LR4... Especially if you did that on 2.10. However, if you ever feel like continuing this Simpson quest, just make another announcement and put it in your sig again. Some people might get interested. I also realized you want to make such a quest, but I'm not enough big fan of Simpsons...

A Harry Potter quest indeed would be a great idea. Both a remake and a sequel would be great. Imagine Hogwarts through ZC...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users