Photo

Girl gets her leg severed at sixflags...

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16 Mr. Pimpy

Mr. Pimpy

• Members

Posted 01 July 2007 - 07:12 PM

So, what does a lemon mean?

That something doesn't work right.

QUOTE(LinktheMaster @ Jul 1 2007, 11:42 AM) View Post

But neither happen very often, do they? icon_wink.gif

icon_shrug.gif
I just typed some numbers.

#17 Captain Magenta

Captain Magenta

Senior

• Members

Posted 01 July 2007 - 08:11 PM

According to an article that I saw on Lycos' news section the girl, whose name was revealed as Kaitlyn Lasitter, was pronounced as stable in a local Nashville hospital but the family and the hospital declined to reveal whether or not her severed limbs were surgically repaired or not. The ride itself was said to have passed the last four maintenance inspections without incident, so I think it's more likely the cable that failed was a "lemon", or defective for those not familiar with that term, lol! It's too bad this happened, but at least the family can most likely sue for the girl's injuries and probably get a nice settlement to put her through school or something of that nature.

#18 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 01 July 2007 - 08:37 PM

What's strange about the incident is that there's two stories as to what happened after the whole incident. The family says that Six Flags have never once tried to contact them, but Six Flags said they sent a person over, but the family made them leave. Which one is telling the truth, I dunno. I'm betting Six Flags is telling the truth, though. They know that this could seriously hurt their reputation, so they would send someone over there. I could be wrong, but if I were the head of a company like that, I'd do it. icon_odd.gif

#19 Mr. Pimpy

Mr. Pimpy

• Members

Posted 01 July 2007 - 08:44 PM

QUOTE(LinktheMaster @ Jul 1 2007, 09:37 PM) View Post
What's strange about the incident is that there's two stories as to what happened after the whole incident. The family says that Six Flags have never once tried to contact them, but Six Flags said they sent a person over, but the family made them leave. Which one is telling the truth, I dunno. I'm betting Six Flags is telling the truth, though. They know that this could seriously hurt their reputation, so they would send someone over there. I could be wrong, but if I were the head of a company like that, I'd do it. icon_odd.gif

Wow, they "sent a person over"? You'd think the owner of sixflags himself would have visited them... icon_unsettled.gif

#20 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 01 July 2007 - 08:46 PM

I heard that one of the cables snapped and wrapped around her foot. icon_shrug.gif Dunno how reliable it is...

Yeah, Six Flags probably sent someone over. In a time like this, they're trying to save as much face as possible.

#21 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 01 July 2007 - 08:55 PM

QUOTE(Mr. Pimpy @ Jul 1 2007, 08:44 PM) View Post

Wow, they "sent a person over"? You'd think the owner of sixflags himself would have visited them... icon_unsettled.gif

He might have, I dunno. I just know that someone from Six Flags went to visit the family. Who, I dunno.

#22 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 01 July 2007 - 11:34 PM

I can understand the situation, but it seems like suing would be going too far. As far as I understand, it was just an accident. It's amazing what people will do just for money.

#23 Lemmy Koopa

Lemmy Koopa

We are the champions

• Members

Posted 02 July 2007 - 04:12 AM

I don't like severed anything.

#24 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 02 July 2007 - 11:23 AM

QUOTE(Moonwhisper @ Jul 1 2007, 11:34 PM) View Post

I can understand the situation, but it seems like suing would be going too far. As far as I understand, it was just an accident. It's amazing what people will do just for money.

You're saying that they went to the extent of getting their daughter's feet cut off to get money? icon_odd.gif You do realize that the treatment and recovery of her will cost tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars, right? I agree that they shouldn't make a profit off of it, but I think Six Flags should pay for the cost of the operation and recovery. And, like I said before, the cause of the accident has yet to been found. While it's pretty certain that it was a support cable that broke, the exact cause has yet to be found. It could have very well been negligence on Sig Flags's part, where they should definitely pay. Like I said, the family shouldn't make any profit off of it, but I don't think the family should have to pay much, if any, for the medical bills because of something like this. icon_shrug.gif

#25 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 02 July 2007 - 12:10 PM

Well then, they shouldn't get no more than they need for the surgery and anything else needed for the girl icon_unsettled.gif

#26 Deathbringer

Deathbringer

Master

• Members

Posted 02 July 2007 - 02:39 PM

QUOTE(Moonwhisper @ Jul 2 2007, 01:10 PM) View Post

Well then, they shouldn't get no more than they need for the surgery and anything else needed for the girl icon_unsettled.gif

That's not how this world operates. Her family and the girl must have wasted alot of time because of Six Flags mistake. Six Flags just paying for the operation and then everyone being happy isn't going to happen.

#27 Mr. Pimpy

Mr. Pimpy

• Members

Posted 03 July 2007 - 01:10 AM

QUOTE(Moonwhisper @ Jul 2 2007, 12:34 AM) View Post

Oh yes, the parents snuck into Six Flags late the night before and rigged it to happen so they could get money. icon_wink.gif

Ummm, yes they should. This my have been an accident, but it's definitely not a faultless one. Six Flags wasn't responsible enough to make sure they hired decent workers , and because of that they will be paying the consequences. icon_sigh.gif

Besides, no amount of money could make of for what that 13 year old girl's going to have to endure for the rest of her footless life.

Also, aside from that, there's this thing called law. You pay for a service, you don't get what you expected, it's your right to sue. That's how things work in reality buddy. icon_wink.gif

#28 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 03 July 2007 - 08:30 AM

QUOTE(Mr. Pimpy @ Jul 3 2007, 01:10 AM) View Post

Ummm, yes they should. This my have been an accident, but it's definitely not a faultless one. Six Flags wasn't responsible enough to make sure they hired decent workers , and because of that they will be paying the consequences. icon_sigh.gif

Besides, no amount of money could make of for what that 13 year old girl's going to have to endure for the rest of her footless life.

That's assuming two things:

1. It was because of a worker not going their job. However, we don't know that yet. Investigators are still looking at the reason why the cable broke. Last I knew, they haven't said anything. Like I said, it could very well be a lemon cable, or one that just didn't come out of the factory right. icon_shrug.gif
2. That the girl didn't get her feet reattached. It has been released that the hospital tried to reattach her feet, but the hospital and the family aren't releasing how well it went, other than the fact that she's in stable condition. icon_shrug.gif

I kind of take back what I said before, though. The family should get some money some money other than the medical bills back. But, not too much. After all, one of her parents will probably have to quit their job for a while to be with her, and it is a traumatic event. Still, they shouldn't make too much money off of it.

#29 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 03 July 2007 - 10:46 PM

I wish people wouldn't be so quick to blame Six Flags. It's possible that the cable wasn't maintained properly or the ride wasn't designed well enough, in which case it should be the park's fault, but regardless of how you can prepare for such events, freak accidents do occur.

I do feel sorry for the victim and her family, and it's fortunate that she was able to live through such a traumatizing event.

I guess I'd wait for more details on why this problem came about before passing judgment about the park or its staff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users