combo tile help

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 TheLink

TheLink

An octorok under a duck?!?!

• Members

Posted 18 April 2016 - 12:33 PM

I was wondering a few things about tiles/combos.

1) is there a way to walk underneath a combo, like a doorway in the middle of a room, or something like that.

2) and also is there a way for the transparent pixel on a combo/tile to actually appear transparent and have another combo/tile behind it?

If there are ways for any of those two things to happen, it will help alot with a quest i am making. Please let me know if there is a way.

#2 Dark Ice Dragon

Dark Ice Dragon

Wizard

• Members

Posted 18 April 2016 - 01:29 PM

1 - not sure i understand your question,you mean put a entrance to somewhere in the middle of screen ? if yes there many ways to do it, you may set a warp or a stair, i will explain better if you confirm that is this that you are asking.

2 - yes, but you must put the 2 combos  in different layers

eg 

259_o1ojer.png

The tiles of the tree actually are "transparent", and the same thing is for the sheep and the rocks in the upper part of the screenshot,  i want that the sheep and the rocks are impossible to be "walk over it", but i want that will be possible pass behind the tree.

So...i put the mountain and the sheep, on the layer 1, and i put the upper part of the tree ( not the trunk since i want it to be impossible to pass ) on the layer 3 ( so you can go behind it )

At this point, i put flower under the sheep and grass under tree and mountain, and even if tree,mountain and sheep have invisible pixel they look like they don't have.

Is like add a transparent sheet over another drawing

I'm sure there a more easy way to make it ( or to explain this, i'm not american or english and i'm usng a translator ) let's see the answers of the others

Edited by Dark Ice Dragon, 18 April 2016 - 01:48 PM.

• Binx likes this

#3 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 18 April 2016 - 01:41 PM

Yeah, you're talking about layering. Go to Screen->Layers and set which screens you want to use as layers (most people use 5-7 maps, in sequence, and the same screen numbers, so layer 3 on screen 00 of map 1 would be screen 00 of map4) From there, just click on the button associated with the layer you want to use. Layers 0-2 are drawn below Link and enemies, layers 3 and above are drawn above Link and ignore walkability. More detailed info here
You can also use the overhead combo type for doorways and such, but i never have, since layering is so much easier.

1 - not sure i understand your question,you mean put a entrance to somewhere in the middle of screen ? if yes there many ways to do it, you may set a warp or a stair, i will explain better if you confirm that is this that you are asking.

I'm almost certain he's thinking about overhead combos and layers 3-6

Edited by Binx, 18 April 2016 - 01:49 PM.

• Dark Ice Dragon likes this

#4 Dark Ice Dragon

Dark Ice Dragon

Wizard

• Members

Posted 18 April 2016 - 02:09 PM

i almost forgot, use the layers may be used for make rain,snow, clouds,fog and many other things

• Binx likes this

#5 TheLink

TheLink

• Members

Posted 19 April 2016 - 09:26 AM

ok i will try layering.

#6 TheLink

TheLink

• Members

Posted 19 April 2016 - 09:46 AM

using layers has worked for making transparent combos parts transparent, but it hasn't helped with creating a doorway in the middle of a room, i have an image that can help you understand my doorway in the middle of a room idea, but i dont know how to add an image to a comment. However if you watch this video from 5:52 to 5:56 it will show what i am wanting to try and create:https://www.youtube....h?v=hU3jYcluRR4

now that i think about it i am wanting some king of tunnel that he can walk under/in, if it helps.

#7 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 19 April 2016 - 09:58 AM

Yeah, to walk under or behind something, you only have to place the object you're walking under to layers 3 or 4, but I suspect you want something you can walk over *or* under., which is a little more tricky, as you have to use insta-warps and identical rooms to get the effect. For example, to remake the screen in the video you showed, you'd have the warp placed on the top of the staircase, so going up the stairs causes you to warp to a screen where the tunnel is placed on layer 0, while walking down the stairs would warp you to a screen where the tunnel is placed on layer 3. Give me a little bit, I'll design a screen showing what I mean.

#8 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 19 April 2016 - 10:28 AM

In the first screen, as you can see, the bridge is on layers 3 and 4, so I can walk under it. And there's a warp at the top of the stairs (colored blue, so you can easily see it, normally you wouldn't mark the warp clearly, it should be invisible or an identical combo to the one you're using for stairs)
JneQHax.png

After you've gone up the ladder and touch the blue tile, it warps you to this screen

mMWSf7m.png

Now, on this screen, the ladder warp is on the bottom (and takes you back to the other screen), but the bridge is placed on walkable layers, now, so it appears under Link. By setting up identical screens like this, you can accomplish all kinds of cool passages and such.

Edited by Binx, 19 April 2016 - 10:31 AM.

#9 TheLink

TheLink

• Members

Posted 19 April 2016 - 10:32 AM

thanks, that helps lots, but there is one more thing, if i do use the warp like that it reastarts the midi i'm using for that screen, is there a way to make midi's continue over multiple screens like that without reseting, if not im fine, i was just wondering.

#10 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 19 April 2016 - 10:38 AM

Yes, there is, If i'm remembering correctly, it's a quest rule, in the NES fixes section.

#11 TheLink

TheLink

• Members

Posted 19 April 2016 - 10:38 AM

also are there any settings i need on/off for layers 3/4 to be above you or not?

#12 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 19 April 2016 - 10:39 AM

There is a rule that draws layers 2/3 below layer 0, but that rule should be off, by default.

#13 TheLink

TheLink

• Members

Posted 19 April 2016 - 10:44 AM

ok thanks

this helped alot

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: combo, tile, help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users