• This topic is locked This topic is locked
64 replies to this topic

#16 Sparkrulean

Sparkrulean

Paladin

• Members

Posted 28 September 2006 - 06:34 PM

QUOTE(Limzo @ Sep 28 2006, 08:55 AM)
...They're just for middle-aged women". Most were. Pride and Pejudice, The Rag Nymph, Catcher in the Rye etc ect...

View Post

Obviously you've never read these.. I've read Catcher in the Rye and it is an amazingly good book. Definatly NOT a middle-aged women's book! >,< Google a summary for it. You'll find that is a fun book and possibly right down your alley. icon_heh.gif

QUOTE(ShadowTiger @ Sep 28 2006, 09:09 AM)

Eh, the bible is cool and all, but I prefer to get my morals from real life.  If you just observe things and think for yourself, there's a lot that can be deduced on your own.  Unless you're purposely evil and cruel, a lot of peoples' behavior can be traced to how their own life treats them, and how they behave in terms of those conditions.  If you're trained from birth via your environmental interactions that stealing helps keep you alive, then that's what you'll do.

I agree with some of you points, such as how your life style can affect your grown-up views on morality.. But you must remember "He who cannot draw from 3000 years is living from hand to mouth" -Goethe In other words, you have to know the past to know where you are going. Otherwise you are just re-inventing the wheel...

QUOTE(ShadowTiger @ Sep 28 2006, 09:09 AM)
...Otherwise, my own personal bibles consist of books like When The Wind Blows, The Nine Lives of Chloe King, etc.

View Post

I AGREE!! Wow.. I love those series soo much! Have you read the Lake House?

Back on topic: I've made reading the Bible one of my projects this year. I think knowing the stories will help me understand a lot more things about our society and about literature I read. I started reading it a few years back, but I can't do it. >,< I get a bad headache from the font. I have to expariment with fonts and such---no matter what the book may be.

#17 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 28 September 2006 - 06:37 PM

It always seemed to confuse me when I tried reading it, so I've kinda just given up on trying to understand it. Perhaps I was reading the wrong part first. @_@

#18 Naldrag

Naldrag

Certified Idiot

• Members

Posted 28 September 2006 - 06:44 PM

When I read it I'm usually confused also, I do understand some things in it though. It is a good thing to have, and for those who don't know I'm Christian.

#19 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 28 September 2006 - 06:48 PM

I am very much in agreeance to what Stungun and ShadowTiger are saying. Stungun's post especially reminds me of a passage from a book of mine that used to be in my signature. I for one don't like to think of Science and Religion as enemies of each other. Such a mentality in my opinion is is a sign of ignorance regardless of which side of the argument you are on. The passage is from a book called "Judaism and the Scientific Spirit - Issues of Faith", by Rabbi W. Gunther Plaut:

The simple fact is that no religious faith can be established scientifically.  There is no science of religion, any more than there is a science of art.  We deal with incommensurables.  Science and religion have much in common, but their premises are different.  Science rests on the belief in the possibility of knowledge; religion on the belief that there is validity to values.  Science seeks to discover the laws of concrete being and becoming; religion seeks the dimensions of another order of reality, that of the unseen universe.  To discover these, both use terms appropriate to their own domain.  One speaks in the prose of measurement, the other in the poetry of devotion.  One commits only the mind, the other involves the heart as well.  One is dispassionate, the other compassionate.  The function of both disciplines are different, and they cannot be substituted one for the other.  A science which aims to supplant religion ceases to be scientific.  A religion which makes pronouncements on science ceases to be on religious grounds.  The enemy of both science and religion is a narrow dogmatism which resists examination of its premises.  For it is on such a constant reexamination that all real growth must rest.

I most especially agree with those last two sentences. Both science and religion should ideally teach one to think, and doubt is never a bad thing. Memorization is by no means a true understanding of something. I could memorize the constitution of the united states word for word. It doesn't guarantee that I know exactly what it all means. If you don't question what you are being taught and you are not understanding what something means, how could you argue either for or against it?

#20 Lemon

Lemon

Legend

• Members

Posted 28 September 2006 - 07:22 PM

You know if this was about a new cd or some Dickens book I wouldent find it nearly as humourous ^_^.

While Ive never been able to finish reading the bible (One: Never have the time when I want to, 2: When I do I end up questioning so many plot loopholes my head explodes) from what I have I belive it is a great tale. Basically a combonation of a exagratted history book plus Mother Goose. Wether you belive it is a holy book or not, the morales are all still pretty good (exepct for a few which to the day arent quite as P.C. as they used to be... icon_wink.gif)

#21 Nimono

Nimono

Ultra Miyoa Extraordinaire!

• Members

Posted 28 September 2006 - 07:28 PM

I wish this thread would get closed. Why? I want this to stop before someone really insults someone by talking about religions. (That last post kinda insulted me, too, and I don't get insulted anymore. Except now.)

#22 Animus01

Animus01

Spirit Warrior

• Members

Posted 28 September 2006 - 08:00 PM

QUOTE(EatinCake @ Sep 28 2006, 07:22 PM)
While Ive never been able to finish reading the bible (One: Never have the time when I want to, 2: When I do I end up questioning so many plot loopholes my head explodes) from what I have I belive it is a great tale. Basically a combonation of a exagratted history book plus Mother Goose. Wether you belive it is a holy book or not, the morales are all still pretty good (exepct for a few which to the day arent quite as P.C. as they used to be... icon_wink.gif)

View Post

I won't say anything. No matter how poorly chosen his thoughts were.

#23 Lemon

Lemon

Legend

• Members

Posted 28 September 2006 - 08:12 PM

O_o well than... I apologize for haivng poorly chosen thoughts. I shall go reform my opipion and change my way of looking at things so it better fits your needs and is more organized icon_razz.gif.

Im trying to figure out how 2 people found my post insulting considering I said nothing agaist them or their religion, or them... I kinda just said what Hero Link did more or less.

Edited by EatinCake, 28 September 2006 - 08:17 PM.

#24 Nimono

Nimono

• Members

Posted 28 September 2006 - 08:22 PM

QUOTE(EatinCake @ Sep 28 2006, 08:12 PM)
O_o well than... I apologize for haivng poorly chosen thoughts. I shall go reform my opipion and change my way of looking at things so it better fits your needs and is more organized icon_razz.gif.

Im trying to figure out how 2 people found my post insulting considering I said nothing agaist them or their religion, or them... I kinda just said what Hero Link did more or less.

View Post

It was you comparing the Bible to a Mother Goose nursery rhyme that I found insulting. Still, it's true that not everything in the Bible has been proved, but not everyone needs that kind of proof. Now, don't you agree that this thread should get closed before a large arguement breaks out? Just sayin'.

#25 Lemon

Lemon

Legend

• Members

Posted 28 September 2006 - 08:25 PM

QUOTE(pikaguy900 @ Sep 28 2006, 07:22 PM)
It was you comparing the Bible to a Mother Goose nursery rhyme that I found insulting. Still, it's true that not everything in the Bible has been proved, but not everyone needs that kind of proof. Now, don't you agree that this thread should get closed before a large arguement breaks out? Just sayin'.

View Post

Ah... disregard the PM I sent as youve answered my quetsion here. The comparision is just saying that its full of stories with good life improving morales. Seeing as youve answered my question I think we can end it here instead of closign this perfeclty good topic.

#26 Nimono

Nimono

• Members

Posted 28 September 2006 - 08:28 PM

QUOTE(EatinCake @ Sep 28 2006, 08:25 PM)
Ah... disregard the PM I sent as youve answered my quetsion here. The comparision is just saying that its full of stories with good life improving morales. Seeing as youve answered my question I think we can end it here instead of closign this perfeclty good topic.

View Post

Oh, then I'm sorry. But you're right- it does teach life-improving morales. If only people used them... Ironic ins't it? The best-selling book in the world has morales that people hardly ever use. icon_lol.gif It's the only time I can actually laugh when it comes to this book.

#27 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 28 September 2006 - 08:32 PM

QUOTE(pikaguy900 @ Sep 28 2006, 09:22 PM)

View Post

No. He is entited to having that opinion. If you can't handle that, then I suggest you simply ignore it. We don't close topics simply because someone has an opinion that one person finds insulting. If we pandered to everyone's feelings of being insulted, we might as well close most topics that are brought up. That wouldn't be good, would it?

EDIT: Wow, new posts were made quickly while I typed this. If everything is A-OK, then it is all good.

#28 Animus01

Animus01

Spirit Warrior

• Members

Posted 28 September 2006 - 08:38 PM

Well, seriously, we should be careful of what we say around sensitive topics.

#29 Daniel

Daniel

v My Godess

• Members

Posted 29 September 2006 - 06:12 AM

QUOTE(EatinCake @ Sep 28 2006, 07:12 PM)

Please do.

I actually didn't get offended by the post, and I get pissed easily.

View Post

But I honestly don't see why this should turn into a flame topic. The topic is about the "stories" (I hate calling them that but I can't think of another word) in the Bible. You can dislike a book for personal reasons (like being a douchebag) and still like the "stories" in it. Such as: "I love the "stories" in the Bible they are full of adventure and killing!" or "I dislike the "stories" in the Bible because I feel the author should have focused a bit more on the characters and added more emotion. Remember, detail is what makes a book great!". I don't see why someone has to hate the "stories" in a book (any book not just the Bible) just because their personal views on it are bad.

Edited by Daniel, 29 September 2006 - 06:13 AM.

#30 Animus01

Animus01

Spirit Warrior

• Members

Posted 29 September 2006 - 11:17 AM

QUOTE(Daniel @ Sep 29 2006, 06:12 AM)
But I honestly don't see why this should turn into a flame topic. The topic is about the "stories" (I hate calling them that but I can't think of another word) in the Bible. You can dislike a book for personal  reasons (like being a douchebag) and still like the "stories" in it. Such as: "I love the "stories" in the Bible they are full of adventure and killing!" or "I dislike the "stories" in the Bible because I feel the author should have focused a bit more on the characters and added more emotion. Remember, detail is what makes a book great!".  I don't see why someone has to hate the "stories" in a book (any book not just the Bible) just because their personal views on it are bad.

View Post

Well, I don't see why not to call them stories. After all, that's what they are. There's quite a bit of violence here and there, and, in Genesis, there's a lot of disturbing actions involved. As I can recall, it was homosexuality, gang rape, and, I think, a cutting up of a dead body.

Edited by Animus01, 29 September 2006 - 11:20 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users