Custom Boss: Bongo Bongo

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Lotus Eater

Lotus Eater

Wizard

• Members

Posted 03 December 2006 - 08:57 AM

Here's the idea, to make Bongo Bongo I want to replace the Peahat sprites with four finger hands, the hands will be closed when flying, then open when they land. After you kill the two peahats, you can then strike his main eye (After the peahats die a secret combo is triggered revealing a sword switch under his eye gfx, the you'll go to a brief cut scene where his hands reappear, clap once, then repeat the cycle, this time fire comes from Bongo Bongo's eye, and the last time, fire comes from his eye and both arm stumps.

How well would this work?

I am working on the graphics as we speak

Current Status:
Having Issues with Flags, check the last post.

Most recent Screeny
IPB Image

Edited by Lotus Eater, 03 December 2006 - 06:05 PM.

#2 Sharon Daniel

Sharon Daniel

• Banned

Posted 03 December 2006 - 09:07 AM

Is this for version 2.10 or below? 'Cause if it's for 2.11 it should be way more involved. If not, it sounds okay... But I really advise against using normal enemies in a boss battle, especially Peahats. Peahats should never be used in a room where you are required to kill all enemies because their landing rate is random and it can take an irritatingly long time to defeat them.

#3 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 03 December 2006 - 09:13 AM

QUOTE(Sharon Daniel @ Dec 3 2006, 09:07 AM) View Post

Peahats should never be used in a room where you are required to kill all enemies because their landing rate is random and it can take an irritatingly long time to defeat them.

Agreed. But your idea sounds pretty awesome. But here's a better idea:

instead of peahats, use Pols Voice. They could be animated to look like hands (like you were thinking with the Peahats), and they wouldn't take as irritatingly long to kill. Then everything else afterwards can remain like you had planned. If you're making a quest with Bongo Bongo in the future, I look forward to it.

#4 Lotus Eater

Lotus Eater

Wizard

• Members

Posted 03 December 2006 - 09:13 AM

Can you come up with a better enemy to be used as the hands, I figured two peahats wouldn't be too hard. And I was going to do it for the 2.11, but I still want the quest to remain fairly simple, I just thought Bongo Bongo would be cool.

The only other thing I considered for the hands was using Gohma for one hand, and then something easy for the other hand.

EDIT: Pol's Voice could work, hmm, perhaps I'll try them, maybe if I can get him to work I'll make a Bongo Bongo quest, basically two screens, a prep screen, and then the Boss fight. That way other people can see how he works before I get the quest finished (Which will probably never happen)
BTW I plan on using him in Shades of Light.

Edited by Lotus Eater, 03 December 2006 - 09:15 AM.

#5 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 03 December 2006 - 09:16 AM

QUOTE(Lotus Eater @ Dec 3 2006, 09:13 AM) View Post

The only other thing I considered for the hands was using Gohma for one hand, and then something easy for the other hand.

Hmm... Gohma. That sounds feasable. But if you want this quest to be simple, then make it the Gohma that doesn't shoot at you.

*thinks*
The problem with Gohma, however, is that it's centered (unless there's an option in 2.11 I haven't heard about). Well, it's your quest. I wish you luck.

#6 Lotus Eater

Lotus Eater

Wizard

• Members

Posted 03 December 2006 - 09:23 AM

Well there's that and the fact that I like Gohma and wanted to use her elsewhere, but Pol's Voice I have always considered stupid, so I may use those.

Anyways, I still have to get the perspective worked out, I am thinking the perspective for this fight may be adjusted compared to normal, instead of the top view it will more side view, basically instead of looking down on Bongo Bongo, you'll see him from the front, and have his drum to walk around on. All the black area around the drum will be no fly zone to keep the hands within reach.

Well I have a partially working version, what I need is someone who is experienced with Flags and Secrets to give me a hand with a few things as I have always been bad at them.

There are two Pol's Voices on the screen, when the both die I need a sword switch to appear under Bongo Bongo's Eye, then you strike the switch with your sword and prgress to the next section of the fight. I cann't seem to get the switch to appear, if I put the switch there than I can make it progress to the next frame, sooooo, would someone who knows how to do this give me a hand.
Also for GFX, I am having a hard time making the hand look good so if you are good at stuff like this I'd appreciate it.

Edited by Lotus Eater, 03 December 2006 - 01:17 PM.

#7 Fire Wizzrobe

Fire Wizzrobe

Master

• Members

Posted 03 December 2006 - 01:18 PM

FFC Scripting Idea:

Hmmm.... The hands could be combos that fly around for a random amount of time (120-600 tics) then open.. And Bongo Bongo could move to the second stage when he registers that all his hands are downed. The fire breathing would be simple to program, I believe. But altogether, the script would be lengthy and warps would have to be used.

I probably would have to inprove and learn more scripting commands to do this for you, though.

Edited by Fire Wizzrobe, 03 December 2006 - 01:20 PM.

#8 Lotus Eater

Lotus Eater

Wizard

• Members

Posted 03 December 2006 - 01:38 PM

Yeah, I know nothing about scripting, so I am doing this entirely without.

I got him working though, but currently he is really easy, here is a screeny, note I need to fix the hands still. I also haven't made the drum yet as it'll be a pain.

Actually a script that would make this work really well would be one that causes link to "hop" every now and again, so it looks like he is beating the drum.

Anyways, all I have to fix now is the hand graphics, the drum and make him harder. And make it a mini cutscene between the stages of the fight, one where he claps once as his hands reappear, that'll be harder. Then I'll post a demo. Mostly I am just trying to get him to look good and be functional.

EDIT: He still isn't working right, everytime you swing the sword he takes a hit, even if you don't hit him, it's pretty annoying.

Edited by Lotus Eater, 03 December 2006 - 06:05 PM.

#9 Sharon Daniel

Sharon Daniel

• Banned

Posted 03 December 2006 - 05:43 PM

The sprites look nice! Good job with those, and good luck with setting up the battle. icon_smile.gif

#10 Lotus Eater

Lotus Eater

Wizard

• Members

Posted 03 December 2006 - 06:04 PM

I am still having a hard time getting it to work right with the flags, so if anyone can help it would be appreciated.
Here is the setup, one hand is a peahat, one hand is a Pol's Voice.
When you kill both hands, two switches appear underneath the eye of Bongo Bongo, you hit them with your sword.
So the hands are trigger flag 16 and these appear just fine. But when you hit the switches all that happens is the switches turn into the pit warps, even though I have the whole floor marked with the flags.
Flag 16 is directly underneath Bongo Bongo's Eye. Now flag 79 is on all the walkable spaces on the floor, which should be what gets triggered when you hit the switches that are revealed with flag 16, why is this not working right, I can send the quest to anyone who can help.
Here is a newer screeny, with better hands.
IPB Image

#11 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 04 December 2006 - 10:54 AM

Dude, that's awesome! I will look forward to your quest/demonstration that you're using it in.

#12 Lotus Eater

Lotus Eater

Wizard

• Members

Posted 04 December 2006 - 11:00 AM

Won't happen until I can get him to work right, if you are good with flags and secrets I can send you the file and maybe you can help em out. And it is only a demonstration, nothing else.

#13 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 04 December 2006 - 11:13 AM

QUOTE(Lotus Eater @ Dec 4 2006, 11:00 AM) View Post

Won't happen until I can get him to work right, if you are good with flags and secrets I can send you the file and maybe you can help em out. And it is only a demonstration, nothing else.

Hmm... should've read the post first. Anyways, I'm not sure why it's not working, like you were saying. You said he takes a hit anytime you swing the sword, even if you don't hit him. Your flags must be in the wrong place. I think I could help you out, when I get home tonight. If you were to send me the file, would you need my email or could you attach it to a PM? Better reply quick. I'm out of here by 11:25 (which in my time zone is ten minutes away).

#14 Lotus Eater

Lotus Eater

Wizard

• Members

Posted 04 December 2006 - 11:21 AM

Read the last one with a screenshot, that's where I am now. Anyways, I sent you a PM, hopefully I can get him running all the way, though I did ask for a script over on AGN's forums, maybe some kind sould will think it is a good idea, I am going to update the GFX more and make him look better shaded, and then whip up a drum for him to be pounding on.
Though I did realize I can make it so you take damage from the drum, after X amount of time, or after you hit his eye, you go to a new animation where he pulls his hands up and hit's the drum, the drum itself will be combo cycling to a floor that hurts you, very briefly, if you jump right before his hands hit, you won't take damage.

EDIT:

Ok, now I have two Bongo Bongo designs, which eye do you prefer and then which torso, do you like him hanging from the ceiling, or coming up from below?
IPB Image

Thanks,
Lotus

Edited by Lotus Eater, 04 December 2006 - 05:37 PM.

#15 Bix

Bix

Junior

• Members

Posted 05 December 2006 - 10:59 AM

I like the bigger eye, and I like him coming out of the ceiling. However, he looks kinda awkward... Sure you could fix that, though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users