• Please log in to reply
163 replies to this topic

#31 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 02 December 2011 - 10:52 AM

QUOTE(Schwa @ Dec 1 2011, 12:45 PM) View Post

Don't say that, do not say that, until you've tried it. I'm so serious, man, even though the rewritten sword and stuff look phenomenal in the video and the screenshots, I'm actually really really nervous that people will hate playing with them when they actually get to. That's why they'll be a demo soon(ish), so guys like you can provide me extra firepower in tweaking it into total excellence. I've really been stressing over it.

Actually Poke, you would probably be one of the best people to give feedback for it, since you're wonderful at ZScript and you can probably play with it and immediately go "Ohhh, I see how he did that! I bet he could probably do this and this and it would clean these issues up or reduce these ones". And then I would fall in love with you, and buy you so much coffee... icon_love.gif

Heh. I think you might be giving me too much credit. I'm not quite as wonderful as you may think and your stuff baffles me just as much as everyone else sometimes...I do understand your worries that people won't like the new sword and stuff. I think that while it may take a while to get used to, it'll work out in the end. I imagine being able to choose your slash direction would make fighting darknuts a helluva lot easier.

QUOTE(DarkFlameWolf @ Dec 2 2011, 08:31 AM) View Post

@trudatman. Just because it was intentional that the first half to be more exploratory and the second half to be empty on purpose, does not make it good game design. Even if its creatively inspired and purposefully meant to be sparse and empty, if the player loses connection with the game because of that design utilization, it still is bad gameplay design, despite what the creator thought of it at the time. Its a fine balance you have to tread between great design ideas and what will keep the player's attention.

I have to agree with you there. You can't really excuse an area like that by saying "I meant to do that. It's art." It's still bad design even if it was intentional.

Edit: Rover asked if he could hijack my thread to do his own reviews and I'm cool with that, so it might happen and it might not and if it does, don't be surprised.

Edited by Pokemonmaster64, 02 December 2011 - 03:18 PM.

#32 Rover

Rover

slam dunk

• Members

Posted 02 December 2011 - 03:51 PM

QUOTE(Pokemonmaster64 @ Dec 2 2011, 10:52 AM) View Post

Edit: Rover asked if he could hijack my thread to do his own reviews and I'm cool with that, so it might happen and it might not and if it does, don't be surprised.

I never asked such a question, sir. You are going to start an argument, and I will not put up for this one bit.

WELCOME TO ROVER'S RANDOM REVIEWS, this is the side show of Poke's not so random reviews, folks. In my reviews, you'll see good quests, bad quests, and even SOME OTHER quests! Yes, indeed, I have no set schedule because I am incredibly lazy but we'll just roll for now. So here we are, the first quest to be reviewed!

Review #1
Mario Quest created by gamemastersonic
---
PRE-GAME READING:
"This is my first quest so it's just a short quest." Very great explanation. "n/a" Honestly if you don't have a story your quest may as well not even exist. Or perhaps it should. "cheat" This is just a no. That cheat is too guessable- but oh wait you already gave it to us. Or is it even a cheat at all? "The person who made the Mario tile pack." Those are the credits. There are no screens to go along with this quest, so... TIME FOR QUEST! I would give the pre-game information a 15/100, you barely gave us enough information, but at least you stated it was going to be bad short.

SCREEN DESIGN:
The screen design, is very, very half assed, even for a mario tileset quest. Seriously, put some effort into it! You don't believe me?
IPB Image
Ian is rolling in his grave right now. Why.
I would give this a 20/100, he tried, yes, but utterly failed.

GAMEPLAY:
Please, please don't make me do this. There is obviously a gun pointed to my head as I'm writing this. The game literally starts you off with 999 f***ing rupees, and an A key, and all of the items and everything! Seems like an easy quest, right?
IPB Image
You have to use the f***ing cheat code to start the game. Did the guy literally not know how to use spawns?! What the hell? This is literally the worst thing ever. Also there are points where you can go of the flipping map. This is the worst gameplay in a quest. I would say he tried, but he literally didn't. 4/100 for 'effort'.

STORY:
Yes, this was tied in with the first section, but this means the story explained throughout the quest. There was none, but I won't add a 0 to the average just cuz I'm nice.

OVERALL:
Pros: He tried at least I hope.
Cons: Bad everything all around. Gameplay is terrible, screen design is terrible, the map has tons of cut off places, there is no explanation as to what this is, etc.

FINAL SCORE: 13/100

Yes, did average that out with a calculator. Hope you all liked my review, it was decent I guess. There are 4 things possible to be graded on in my reviews, I didn't leave any out. It's not a great way to review, the pre-reading stuff may be kind of far, but if you don't provide explanation as to what your quest is you may end up with a pile of s*** like this.

#33 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 02 December 2011 - 04:05 PM

16:02: <Rover> look at it
16:02: <Moosh> Sweet!
16:02: <Rover> and applaud

*Applauds*
Nice job, Rover. Ian is indeed rolling in his grave.

You did something I could never do. You reviewed arguably the worst quest ever made.

#34 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 03 December 2011 - 08:22 AM

Light of the Heavens: I'm happy to see something designed with my tileset getting a 4 out of 5. And for the most part, it seems like the tileset was used correctly and creatively. When I see screens like this, it makes me glad that someone was paying attention:

IPB Image

(minor walk flag bug notwithstanding)

Anyway... I like this thread so far and I'm glad you're giving reviews that are thorough but not way too long. I suppose they could be shortened a little bit, but it depends on who the reviews are supposed to be for.

And since you actually choose your quests intentionally, I thought I'd come give a "nudge nudge, hint hint" and say that I'd love to see a full-length review of my own Master Quest (New BS Edition). icon_smile.gif Not many people have played it, and even if not many do, I'd enjoy hearing more feedback. To this day I have no idea how many people have completed it. Only one person has specifically commented on the last level.

#35 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 03 December 2011 - 02:16 PM

QUOTE(Radien @ Dec 3 2011, 08:22 AM) View Post

And since you actually choose your quests intentionally, I thought I'd come give a "nudge nudge, hint hint" and say that I'd love to see a full-length review of my own Master Quest (New BS Edition). icon_smile.gif Not many people have played it, and even if not many do, I'd enjoy hearing more feedback. To this day I have no idea how many people have completed it. Only one person has specifically commented on the last level.

I'm not sure if I'd like to review that as it's for the most part a screen for screen remake of the first quest in the BS tileset with harder enemies and some new areas, isn't it?

#36 Nightmeres

Nightmeres

Defender

• Members

Posted 03 December 2011 - 03:05 PM

Lost Isle?

#37 judasrising

judasrising

I play guitar

• Members

Posted 03 December 2011 - 03:20 PM

icon_smile.gif

Time After by Mudvayne would be cool!

#38 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 03 December 2011 - 04:05 PM

And now the requests start pouring in. I'd very much like to review both Lost Isle and Time After, although those might take a while as Lost Isle is rather challenging and Time After is in German IIRC so I'll have no clue what I'm doing. Also, after playing a little I'm considering Radien's request.

#39 judasrising

judasrising

I play guitar

• Members

Posted 03 December 2011 - 04:18 PM

QUOTE(Pokemonmaster64 @ Dec 4 2011, 12:05 AM) View Post

And now the requests start pouring in. I'd very much like to review both Lost Isle and Time After, although those might take a while as Lost Isle is rather challenging and Time After is in German IIRC so I'll have no clue what I'm doing. Also, after playing a little I'm considering Radien's request.

Hm Time After is in english also, Power of Geduina is only in german.

#40 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 03 December 2011 - 07:47 PM

QUOTE(Pokemonmaster64 @ Dec 3 2011, 11:16 AM) View Post
I'm not sure if I'd like to review that as it's for the most part a screen for screen remake of the first quest in the BS tileset with harder enemies and some new areas, isn't it?

It's a "third quest," not a remake of first quest. Every single dungeon is remade, nearly from scratch. And there is a new overworld area as well. The final dungeon has four floors and 80+ rooms, too. I didn't just throw it together in a weekend.

Yeah, third quests have been done often, but that doesn't necessarily mean they've been done well most of the time... And hell, ZC was originally intended solely for making 3rd quests. Back in 1.90 that was still what ZC was primarily intended for. (The New BS version is updated to 1.92, but the quest was originally designed in 1.90.)

#41 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

Tell all with glee, Argon's on PureZC

• Members

Posted 03 December 2011 - 08:47 PM

@rover: I think your review is inappropriate.

#42 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 03 December 2011 - 09:16 PM

QUOTE(Twilight_Knight @ Dec 3 2011, 08:47 PM) View Post

While his review certainly is very critical, I don't believe it violates any site rules. He didn't like try to evade the swear filter or anything. He gave honest feedback with no flaming (which is honestly hard considering the quest he played). Can you maybe wait until we review one of your pal CC's quests before you start complaining? icon_razz.gif I kid, I kid.

#43 Rover

Rover

slam dunk

• Members

Posted 03 December 2011 - 09:18 PM

QUOTE(Twilight_Knight @ Dec 3 2011, 08:47 PM) View Post

how the quest sucked

#44 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 03 December 2011 - 09:25 PM

QUOTE(Rover @ Dec 3 2011, 09:18 PM) View Post

how the quest sucked

Is that CC argot?

Anyways, I'm kinda stuck in Master Quest due to I assume my own stupidity. So FREAKING EVERYTHING is delayed until Radien tells me what the hell to do...or something. At least I've broken that daily review thing habit. icon_razz.gif

#45 Rover

Rover

slam dunk

• Members

Posted 03 December 2011 - 09:28 PM

QUOTE(Pokemonmaster64 @ Dec 3 2011, 09:25 PM) View Post

Is that CC argot?

Anyways, I'm kinda stuck in Master Quest due to I assume my own stupidity. So FREAKING EVERYTHING is delayed until Radien tells me what the hell to do...or something. At least I've broken that daily review thing habit. icon_razz.gif

it depends are you from Hungary???

Oh and that sucks, man.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users