Photo

What's your response to the Console Wars between Sony, Microsoft,

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

Poll: What's your resopnse to the Console Wars between Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo?

My resopnse to these Console Wars is that...

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 13 June 2007 - 09:11 PM

Every time I go on YouTube, I always see videos saying Which System is Better? 360, Wii, PS3, PSP, DS Lite, and all of that junk. People are criticizing one another because of these machines.

Quotes

"Nintendo DS is only for kids."

"360 > PS3."

"PSP is better because of it's multimedia features."

How do you respond to this feud between these high powered gaming machines.

#2 Majora

Majora

Unironic Marxist-Leninist

• Members

Posted 13 June 2007 - 09:38 PM

There is a video about it between PS3 and Wii, lemme look it up.

#3 Comix

Comix

Hello.

• Members

Posted 13 June 2007 - 09:41 PM

I don't think anyone of them will fully win. I think nintendo is more for the younger audience and will keep the majority of kids playing their consoles. Microsoft will keep a lot of the older gamers mostly because of its target. I know Nintendo is trying to make everyone like it but to tell you the truth I don't see it working out amazingly.

As for the Playstation systems, they will always have flameboy fans but I don't see them ever taking over. They copy too much.

#4 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 13 June 2007 - 10:16 PM

I think that by focusing on a target audience, Microsoft is making a smarter business decision. They are selling towards teens and above, and it's working. Nintendo's "make everyone happy" policy is gonna come back to bite them because they're spreading themselves too thin. Still, I think that both will end up doing reasonably well and possibly coexisting. icon_eek.gif

As for Sony, well.... Sony just doesn't seem like a winner.

#5 Antilochos

Antilochos

• Members

Posted 13 June 2007 - 11:53 PM

I enjoy playing video games. I will choose the console that has the games I enjoy the most. =3

Seriously though, arguing on the internet about pretty much anything is stupid. Doing it on youtube is even more stupid. Doing it about consoles? Stupider still. People will buy what they want and hopefully be happy with that.

#6 Stungun

Stungun

Warrior of Light

• Members

Posted 14 June 2007 - 12:53 AM

The console wars are, and always have been, a crippling blow to the spirit of gaming itself.

As long as the big guys are busy fighting over money, target audiences, propoganda, and other buisness crap, the major titles will be split up and taking sides in a war that just deprives gamers of the other sides.

Take for example, Metal Gear Solid 4 - It's apparently only being released for the PS3. They've taken sides, and I like the Metal Gear Solid series; It was a good thing that MGS: The Twin Snakes got to Gamecube and MGS/MGS2 made it to PC, but I'm cut off from the rest of the story unless I spend $500-600 on a PS3. Which I won't do, because I have a Wii. "Console exclusive" titles, fanboyism, and everything related is just increasing the animosity and fueling the fires of the war.

Anyway... It's bad enough the consoles themselves are competing, but to have consumers taking sides and saying 'My console is better than yours' adds insult to injury. The Xbox 360, PS3, and Wii are all good consoles in their own right and are aimed differently. None can really be considered 'better' than the others; While the PS3 might technically have better system specs, the Wii has innovative motion-sensor technology, for example. The two are impossible to really categorize by one solid standard of rating, without being biased.

Gaming isn't supposed to be about stroking your ego, or for that matter someone else's, based on the power of your console. It's supposed to be about having fun. Instead of butting heads over a forum, pick up your favorite controllers and compete over a game of SSBM, Halo 2, whatever you like! And realize that you're all gamers at heart, no matter what consoles you prefer or what games you play.

Of course, that seems too much to ask of the world these days...

But I don't know if the console wars will ever stop on the corporate level. Yet if we want them to stop, as gamers, we have to stop fuelling the fires.

- Stungun, the Warrior of Light, Out.

#7 Mr. Pimpy

Mr. Pimpy

• Members

Posted 14 June 2007 - 01:01 AM

It's stupid. They're all just as good. icon_wink.gif
Apple needs a console.

#8 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 14 June 2007 - 02:22 AM

I voted Sony, however the Sony will be tuly winner only if Nintendo and Microsoft leaves the market, which won't be in this century: Nintendo is too popular and well-known, plus it's older than the other two in this market; Microsoft just got in not long ago, plus Gates' megalomania would never accept defeat.

When deciding which console is best, I take cold, unquestuionable facts in account, plus one emotional one: hatred against Microsoft, plus another emotional one: I have PS/PS2 since about 1998. Of course, my first console was made by Nintendo (NES), but the controller of the Wii really scared me, plus a VG magazine said that TP is the only big title for Wii. If it weren't for these, maybe I had now a Wii...

Debaters are blind to their cause. Once a videogame TV show said: "We don't want to tell you which console is the best, we simply tell that the XBox is the best." Talk about blind fanatism. Debate(civilisation) is already stupid, of course. Discussion(nature) is much better.

#9 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 14 June 2007 - 03:00 AM

Well, yeah. Console warz DO ruin gaming. For example, I want the Final Fantasy Series, SSBB, the continuing Zelda series, and Halo 3, but that ticket will run me way over my budget. That's why I think that Call of Duty is GREAT. They don't pick sides: they released the same game for the Wii, XBox, XBox 360, Gamecube, PS2, and PC. THAT'S smart marketing. Of course, I have a 360, so I'm probably a little biased as to which one is better... personally, though, I just want Halo 3 really badly, and the XBox is already a pretty good console without, so.... y'know.

Of course, the big surprise (to me) is that Microsoft is still "winning"[/loose term]. The Wii has (the last time I looked) DOUBLE the sales of the 360 and PS3... what's more, while Sony and Microsoft are losing money on their consoles, hoping to make it back on games, the Wii actually makes money for Nintendo.

#10 Shoelace

Shoelace

The Shaman of Sexy!

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 14 June 2007 - 03:15 AM

As of right now, X360 is obviously in the winning the race. But they had a year ahead of everyone also. With games like Gears of War, and also upcoming games like Halo 3, they aren't going to show any signs of slowing down. The thing that is helping out the X360 the most is its Online features. Most of the games on 360 are online. Which is a good money maker as Online is the future. Something that Nintendo is doing poor at.

PS3 is lacking a lot. Sorry to say, but I am really disappointed in Sony. They are losing so much money because of the battery thing in the laptops, court battles, and now the PS3. And the PS3 doesn't have any good games in my opinion. MGS4 and also Resident Evil 5, should rise the sells, however, I am sad that Sony didn't think anything though. Basically they wanted an all around entertainment system. They made it. But it wasn't what the majority wanted.

Wii, was received very well. Of course it has great games and it is going to keep going strong. There weakness has been online features. It is time to jump on the bandwagon, Nintendo. SSBB isn't even officially online yet, and it doesn't look like MP3 will even be mutiplayer. I always thought to myself that Nintendo systems have good single player games and rarely good mutiplayer games (which is the opposite of X360, but online mutiplayer again is the future). Nintendo needs to make some good online games but quicker. I mean, think of the money in Pikmin online, Four Swords online, Star Fox co-op Online, Wii Sports online, etc. That would have made Wii even more desirable. But yeah, Nintendo has the controller. Which is selling like crazy. And another thing that hurts Nintendo and will maybe forever hurt Nintendo. The Lack of "M" rated titles. Nintendo is still dubbed as the "Kiddy" console. And I mean look at it, look at the games. It is. I mean, It is for everyone, but that means kids can play it. There are like 3 "M" games on the Wii right now, and most can't name one. Even Resident Evil 5 is not going to Wii. There is just a lack of "M" rated games and that of course will hurt Nintendo.

So who do I think will win. X360 and Nintendo Wii. I think they will be very close at the console race in number of sells. PS3, I don't see making a profit. I think they will be a distant 3rd place unless they do something. But even if they do something, there profit will most likely take a plunge.

And to reply to to Ebola Zaire, Wii may be doubling the sells now, but think of all of the people that had already bought the system for that whole year before the Wii came out. X360 is still in the lead by a lot. And come November when Halo 3 is released. Even with SSBB and Mario coming out, X360, will outsell the other systems in the fall.

#11 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 14 June 2007 - 03:24 AM

The Wii's ultimate the success is that weird controller. People are crazy about trying it, even if the game they play with it is no special. So, it's no surprise that the Wii goes up.
The XBox has mostly (or only) just war games, there are just a few big titles (like Halo). Probably the Microsoft-addicts make the XBox ship float, whos were using only and PC and no consoles before the XBox.
The PS3 don't have too big titles yet, but PS and PS2 had the biggest titles in their time, so logically PS3 will keep up with it. Final Fantasy and such.

So, none of the three will fall with their curent consoles. I think the XBox will be pushed back in 1-2 years. If there will be good games for Wii, then it will have a big race with PS3, but if not, then PS3 will lead, since it will definitely have big titles, as PS and PS2 did.

#12 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 14 June 2007 - 07:35 AM

I find the console wars to be stupid. People should just be happy for what they get. People shouldn't argue because of machines. Personally, the games I'm looking forward to is SSBB, Fire Emblem: Goddess of Dawn, and Final Fantasy IV DS.

If I actually get a 360 or PS3, I would do great with what they have to offer.

Come on wake up. Be happy with what you have. It's too stupid to argue about a small rectangle, a box with a big brick and a 6-burger George Foreman grill.

#13 Soarin

Soarin

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 14 June 2007 - 09:22 AM

I would go with the 360.

#14 Animus01

Animus01

Spirit Warrior

• Members

Posted 14 June 2007 - 12:40 PM

I hate to sound like a fanboy, since it's more of an insult to me than a compliment, but I chose Nintendo. I do not like how competition is going among the consoles, nowadays. In the old days, when Sega and Nintendo competed, it wasn't about consoles as much as the games. In fact, Sega and Nintendo's competition, IMO, helped make the SNES what it's known for today: top-notch games, like Super Mario World, LttP, and Super Metroid, as well as many good 3rd-party games and Maxis's Sim games.

The current competition among Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft is largely about the console power, and NOT the games. Many fanboys are like: "AHAHAHAHA Nintendo has the weakest graphics" or "XBox has top-notch graphics and can play music AND go online and Blah blah blah" or "PS3! Because it has all these features that I will never use!" Nintendo's trying to bring gameplay back into focus, with the Wii and DS. Ok, so the Wii got a bumpy start, to some people. So did the DS. Look at it now. It has all kinds of fun games, with online play for some of them! Instead of cramming a console with more features than a fighter jet has buttons, the game companies should focus solely on enhancing gameplay. I mean, the without gameplay, you don't have a game. Simple as that.

#15 Fire Wizzrobe

Fire Wizzrobe

Master

• Members

Posted 14 June 2007 - 01:34 PM

Debating about plastic boxes full of silicon must be rry fun for them. Or it's their life duty.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users