Photo

Glitches: Your Thoughts

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Poll: Glitches

What kind of glitches do you like the most?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Do you think that a glitch is mandatory for every game?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Linkus

Linkus

• Members

Posted 08 June 2007 - 03:43 PM

Ah, glitches. Remember how it was fun finding them? You would wonder,"why did it do that?" and and find that you would try to make it happen again.

Of course, one of the most glitch-ridden games out there are Pokèmon Red and Blue, which I'll use as an example of meaning for the first poll question.
  1. Visual. Remember the old man on Cinnabar Island's Gym? That's what I mean here.
  2. Advantage.The mass-producing trick in the game explains itself here.
  3. Situational. The hotel lobby in Celadon City held a "invisible computer". This is what I mean for events and such.
  4. Difficulty. Pretty much anything that makes it harder to do stuff, like button-mapping errors.
  5. Crazy. Glitches that don't explain themselves, or things such as MISSINGNO.
Probably my favorite kind of glitch is the visual ones, where there is something where there supposed to be noe or something else, like something completely out of the ordinary. It's quite a surprise when you see it.

EDIT: added what my favorite glitch is, since we're on the topic.

Edited by Linkus, 08 June 2007 - 03:48 PM.

#2 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 08 June 2007 - 04:38 PM

The Missingno. glitch was hilarious, but it wasn't really a "glitch" persay. You see, the game loads a Pokemon "set" of all Pokemon that can appear in that area. You don't encounter Pokemon in towns, so the game loads Missingno. Since there are also no areas that are "flagged" (using a ZC term) to create encounters, you never fight it in cities; however, the Cinnibar island shore, where you can encounter it, is technically part of Cinnabar, so the Missingno. set is used, but the shore is flagged for random monsters. Missingno was created so that the game would not crash if a person tried to do this.

Note: I did overly simplify it, but that's basically how it works.

#3 Keshet

Keshet

• Members

Posted 08 June 2007 - 04:49 PM

Y'now, in Ruby and Sapphire, there's a glitch where you land in the trees after flying and you're stuck there. It's pretty 'effing hilarious. I mean, it's very irking when it happens to you, but of course, I saw it on YouTube. Ahh, the glory of YouTube... sometimes..

#4 Taco Chopper

Taco Chopper

protector of the darn forum

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 09 June 2007 - 08:09 AM

does anyone remember glitch city? That was also on pokemon yellow. I know. I've been there. On my Blastoise. Missingno was good, but glitch city pwns.

#5 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 09 June 2007 - 10:19 AM

Aaaaah, glitches!
Funny things, they are!

My favourite ones are the Advantahe glitches, but the Visual ones are fun, too. Glitches are always mandatory!

My favourite glitch was the following:
Once I played Final Fantasy VI and trained at the small island where the dying mouses and trilobites are. When one of the fights begun, the screen was almost black. I thought I will continue playing as it can be just visual, but I lost control of people. One of them attacked something (I think herself), the other casted a spell that looked like Shell. Then the victory theme played and the fight was over. When I went to the menu I realized that ALL MY CHARACTERS JUMPED TO LV99! Only the ones whos were in the fight. I remember that Locke and Terra were in. Wonderful.

Game stopping glitches are fun, too. UltimaIX: Ascension is full with them. (There are patches whiches eliminate these or most of them) One of them is that if you complete Wrong and is teleported back to the spider cave and attempt to go out, the game freezes and you can't do ANYTHING about it. They say that it's because an NPC is loaded to a place where that NPC (or any NPCs) can't be. Since I didn't have this bug for the first 3 playings, I must have killed that offending NPC. I always thought that it's a guard in the upper prison, but think about it, the upper prison isn't loaded while being in the spider cave, so one of the guards of the Dungeon Prison needs to be the culprit. Since we don't know which one, you can't be a virtuous Avatar and need to kill everything you see. Even the wolf and the piranhas and zombie. So, this glitch makes the level "kill all enemies or you are screwed" concepted.

I always love things like people walking in air or on funny things!

#6 Animus01

Animus01

Spirit Warrior

• Members

Posted 09 June 2007 - 11:14 AM

In one copy of Final Fantasy VI, there's a glitch in Kefka's Tower that screws up one random battle. Several Vectaurs appear in one spot (not sure if that is intended, but since one of the Dragons in Dragon's Den did the same on purpose, I guess so), and suddenly some crazy things happen. General Leo returns to kick arse for a moment (although using the abilities of the character he took over) and stuff like that (I'm not making this up!), and once the battle was over, your inventory gets 99 Gem Boxes and 0 (yes, 0) Dirks and stuff (One more time, this glitch is true, I tell you!).

In Link's Awakening, you can go to a place I call "MissingNo.'s world" by using the Select glitch while going south of the fisherman's (in Mabe Village) screen. If you do it correctly, you'll find him on a tree. Pay 10 Rupees to "fish", and you will be warped to a crazy glitched up area that's pretty large. After several trips, my Game Pak was getting unstable. One of my files ended up being "K i h" (as opposed to "Keith"), and when I started a new game, some parts of the map were already uncovered!

Lastly, there's also a trick I found on the internet relating to Metroid 2, known as "Secret Worlds". All of these pretty much use a Select trick (Press Select as rapidly as possible while jumping) and at some point, what used to be wall tiles would end up being black spaces that Samus can go through and eventually exit out into a Secret World. One such world is near the final Save Point. By doing the Select Trick on the west wall in the giant room above the Save Point, I managed to create a tunnel to the glitch world. There's one spot that looks like a huge gate.

So anyway, I like to look for crazy glitches, especially in the older systems, such as Game Boy and NES. I don't think having a glitch in games should be mandatory, though, since nowadays, the games are more complex and the glitches lose their luster as the graphics get better.

#7 Deepfreeze

Deepfreeze

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 09 June 2007 - 12:28 PM

Oh yeah, Pokemon Red & Blue were the days, alright. I remember I taught my Missingno. Fly, and then evolved him into Kangaskhan. FLYING KANGASKHAN FTW!

That, and the palette-changing tricks one could do (I can't remember how to do them now...)

Alas, if Oblivion is any indication, the golden age of glitches is at an end. Because Oblivion doesn't just glitch, it crashes. Rapidly and repeatedly.

#8 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 09 June 2007 - 02:22 PM

Yep, finding that out now. =/ Actually I did find a nasty Glitch in Obvlivion. Those two farmer boys who you help fend off Goblins from their farm, if you quicksave between barrages of Goblins, the Goblins don't return, and the quest never ends because there are no Goblins to kill. Kinda sucks. icon_unsettled.gif

QUOTE(CastChaos)
Ultima Bugs.
Agreed. icon_blah.gif

I prefer the practical bugs/glitches to the otherwise, though the non-gamestopping visual bugs are always interesting. I do like to use some bugs sometimes. A few examples:

Ultima Underworld (1 & 2): If you blast a potion or scroll with Fireball twice (Or bash it against a wall a lot.) to make it crumble to dust, the debris will retain its magical property, but you cannot "Use Up" a pile of debris like you can a scroll, so now you've got a pile of debris of fireball, or reveal, or greater heal, .. etc .. and each has infinite uses. Awesome, ain't it. icon_razz.gif

Super Smash Bros. Melee: There are two primary glitches that I like to make use of. I will NOT consider the Wavedash to be a glitch, as it is in fact a property of the game's natural mechanical engine.
1) Samus's Super Wavedash: Certainly a glitch. Lay a bomb to enter morph ball mode, veer left, (Or right.) and on the 48th frame as a ball, veery Right (Or left, depending on which direction you want to go, as per the parenthesis above.) Samus will emerge from the Morph Ball mode sliding/zooming in that direction at such tremendous speeds. She can cross Final Destination in less than a second from one end to the other. Seeing as how I'm a heavy Samus player, I tend to make vigorous use of this.
2) Link's self-proclaimed "Rain Of Bombs" attack: Stand on the ledge of a hangable cliff. (Final Destination or Fountain Of Dreams is preferable.) Throw your boomerang diagonally upward off the cliff, and quickly turn around, jump off the platform, and use your hookshot on the edge so you're hanging from it. When the boomerang returns to your hanging body, you will shoot skyward, VERY very high up in the air, for roughly five or more seconds well offscreen. Feel free to use this time to your advantage to launch and throw three to five bombs down on your opponent. I do this one quite often too. You're just a little more vulnerable to enemy attacks while doing this glitch for obvious reasons.

#9 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 11 June 2007 - 04:03 AM

There was a very funny thing in UltimaIX. If it wasn't intended then I'd call it a crazy glitch.

You know, in Bucaneer's Den, there is a girl who is a "naughty girl" and makes Avatar feel awesome for money. Well, there is a drink (rather snake poison) in Britannia called "Silver Serpent Venom". It's a drug that temporary makes you very strong but you get weakened after the effect wore off. One of the NPCs mentioned that this venom is good for sexual power boosting. Well, I was smart enough to drink it just before "partying" with that girl. Everything went as usual: the screen faded and when it came back, Avatar was lying on bed with HP/MP restored. However, there was a pirate filler NPC instead of the girl! The girl ame back only after realoading the map of Bucaneer's Den (going in-out of a cave or sailing away-back). Fun! I haven't even imagined such thing about Avatar...

#10 jimbob

jimbob

Accepting that no-one will get my avatar.

• Members

Posted 12 June 2007 - 04:29 PM

I remember Super Mario Bros. 3 having some graphical glitches in it occasionally - there'd be a blue "wooden block" in mid-air. It wouldn't be solid, and would disappear. Just weird seeing that happen in a Mario game.

I don't know if it counts as a glitch or just a plain bug, but you couldn't pick up one of the golden souvenirs in Space Station Silicon Valley. Oh. Won't be finishing that then.

And Super Mario 64 on the Virtual Console is more prone to Mario "super-hopping" on edges than the original - that glitch comes under "challenging"

#11 Exate

Exate

Deified

• Members

Posted 12 June 2007 - 04:52 PM

Personally, never cared for glitches too much. However, you guys may like this site: http://davidwonn.kontek.net/

#12 Nerd-Man

Nerd-Man

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 12 June 2007 - 05:27 PM

I love glitches.

I fel awful though how nowadays, we never, ever see glitches any more. The entire game just crashes.

Nobody has ever player 3D World Runner here (I'll bet), and since my NES is really, really old and screwed up, I can nearly never get games to run. If I do then I'm lucky. Once I got 3D World Runner working and the background was just random tiles, and on one part it said (in NES-y font, of course) "This is a test". Cool.

I've been all over several glitch sites, including reading entirely through David Wonn's glitch site, so I would say that I myself am rather well aquainted with glitches. So much for my previous humble-ness.

#13 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 13 June 2007 - 04:02 AM

^That link is great, I had the patience to read through some Zelda and Mario and Chrono Trigger glitches. Are there sites with not just Nintendo glitches? FF and maybe some Ultima would be interesting. However probably I already know all Ultima glitches, especially when playing it on XP (more glitches with XP than with 9x).

#14 Bonegolem

Bonegolem

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 13 June 2007 - 01:59 PM

Linkus, you sent me back a few years with those Red/Blue glitches. I would have never had a Kangaskahn if it hadn't been for 'M and MISSINGNO.

My favorite glitch was the screen-warp glitch on the original Link's Awakening. Standing on top of the Wind Fish's Egg, warping past that fatso walrus, getting to the final boss earlier in the game than you were supposed to (with Marin by your side!), not to mention the spear-throwing Marin clones...those days were gold.

#15 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 13 June 2007 - 02:35 PM

Oh yeah, LA was RIDDLED with bugs... ah, wasn't it exciting! The days when games were fully exploitable... but I digress.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users