Minecraft

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#16 UZF

UZF

Junior

• Members

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:28 PM

Minecraft is awful, and don't give me that bull crap on how "oh you must not be that good at it." Or " you just think it's over rated and that makes it bad". NO, the fact that I played and it sucked a whole lot and I didn't have fun, is what made it bad. I didn't have fun, but maybe you did, this is just my opinion and I am happy if you liked. I'm just not into it.

#17 Eurysilas

Eurysilas

Paladin

• Members

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:54 PM

Minecraft is so far the only online game I would ever ever EVER consider shelling out cash for. And I've never even played the "real" thing. I've just dabbled in Classic.

QUOTE(MoscowModder)
ALL video games are made for money. That is why people make video games - to make money.

What a silly argument. People create to create. Perhaps money fosters more RAPID creation (debatably, quality as well), but you can't tell me that the cave paintings in France ever made ANY caveman rich, nor that the Epic Cycle was simply created just for some dude named Homer to get rich (not at all what actually happened, but the point remains valid). Videogame creation is just an extension of the creative impulse.

#18 Ben

Ben

a very grumpy

• Members

Posted 29 February 2012 - 07:08 PM

QUOTE(Eurysilas @ Feb 29 2012, 06:54 PM) View Post

Videogame creation is just an extension of the creative impulse.

Except in the case of major franchises pushed out by Electronic Arts, Activision-Blizzard, or Ubisoft, Infinity Ward ... icon_razz.gif

Edited by Bagel, 29 February 2012 - 10:22 PM.

#19 Bayta

Bayta

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:54 PM

Eww, Electronic Arts.

Anyway.

Minecraft is so far the only online game I have ever paid for, and I feel not one bit of buyer's remorse for it. Are there ways it could be improved? Absolutely. There's a lot wrong with the game. It's terribly unpolished. But I enjoy it nonetheless. I like building things, and sharing my creations with other people on whatever server I happen to be playing on. I like mining, and get a sense of satisfaction whenever I stumble upon some diamond. I like exploration. All that good stuff.

QUOTE(ShadowTiger)
Coal to make torches? Torches are sooo necessary, but so much coal!? What if there isn't any coal nearby? Mine? But it's too dark to see! Solution: !#?>$%!#J41kjlQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ and I just plain don't like that solution.
Actually, you can make torches using charcoal. I actually tend to use that a lot more than regular coal. I never need to worry about running out.

#20 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:18 PM

QUOTE(ShadowTiger @ Feb 29 2012, 02:31 PM) View Post
I do enjoy Minecraft. I love the concept. There are quite a few reasons why I really, really don't see myself playing it too much though, unless these are improved.
I guess it's been a while since you've played, since most of your concerns HAVE been improved.

Creepers blowing stuff up. I tend to play without monsters.
And the game offers you that option. As much as I hate creepers, I like them. I like that there's something I can hate so much. Of course it sucks when one catches you by surprise and blows up some of your stuff, but it only takes a minute to repair and you can usually lure the creepers away from your builds before they explode anyway.

I don't find any confidence in my weapon range. I never quite know if I'll be able to punch / strike a monster before it can attack me without even using any kind of attack animation. I find that sort of chaos far too unpleasant.
Well Zombies are pretty much the only enemy that doesn't "attack". Skeletons shoot arrows, spiders lunge, ghasts and blazes shoot fire, creepers explode. Personally I found next to no learning curve when it came to fighting, and there's a decent sized gap between where you can hit the enemy and where it can hit you.

Coal to make torches? Torches are sooo necessary, but so much coal!? What if there isn't any coal nearby? Mine? But it's too dark to see! Solution: !#?>$%!#J41kjlQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ and I just plain don't like that solution.
You can smelt planks (or wood, can't remember) to make charcoal, which acts exactly the same as coal. Now you don't need to hunt coal, you can just farm trees and make all the torches you want.

Far, far too easy to get lost. I don't have a compass yet. Can't find one in a random chest or dungeon, nope. Only points toward the spawn, and only if I'm holding it. (Which is fine, I guess.)
Now the compass points to the last bed you slept in (assuming it still exists), so the compass will always point to your base camp, not your spawn. If you're lost and don't have a compass, MAKE ONE! Redstone and iron are EVERYWHERE - you just need to be deep enough to get the redstone. If you're on the surface, get yourself a pick and shovel and dig down at a 45 degree angle until you're deep enough, and have a look around.

The alternative is, and pay attention now, take note of your surroundings while exploring! Before you set off, look at the sun and determine which direction you're travelling. Be aware of various landmarks you can use to find your way back. Place "beacons" (a single torch on a hilltop will suffice) - a breadcrumb trail to find your way home. Exploration is a key focus of the game, and getting lost is all part of that. But just like in real life, if you wander off in random directions without paying any attention to your surroundings, you deserve to get lost.

And if that doesn't appeal to you, install a minimap mod.

The map is weird. I still don't quite understand it. I would -LOVE- a real automap and a "big" world map. SOOOOO MUCH. Oh god you have no idea how much I would love a real map you can press "tab" for or whatever.
The map item does this. Again, if you prefer to be spoon-fed more, find a mod.

Not enough colors. Yeah, I said it. If you're going to be building a game made of legos, more colors and kinds of "pieces" would be nice. Either you're making buildings with insufficient furniture you have to fake, (Terraria solved that quite nicely for the most part, and early on in its development.) or you don't have the color that you're looking for.
While I disagree the game lacks colour (especially after they released the different wool dyes) there are "cheats" to get more colour depth. Instead of making a tapestry that's one block thick, make it two or three blocks. That way, if you need darker colours you can place them on a "deeper" layer, and the game's shading engine will render it darker.

Not enough to do. There are no bosses. What even happens when you get into the Nether or the Aether?
Ugh, so much wrong in what you've said here.
  1. Not enough to do? As if crafting and building wasn't enough, but you can also farm crops, breed animals, fish, create electric circuits, brew potions, enchant items... madness. People have criticised the newer releases because there's too much to do, and in their eyes the devs lost focus. I disagree, since you're never forced to use the newer features. The game offers countless ways to play.
  2. No bosses? Then what do you call the Enderdragon? Kill him and the game ends. Also, mods like the Aether mod have more bosses, if that's what you're into.
  3. The "aether" doesn't exist in vanilla Minecraft. You're probably thinking of "the end". And what happens when you get there? You fight a massive f***ing dragon! As for the nether, it's home to crucial ingredients for potion brewing.

QUOTE(Ultimatezeldafan546 @ Feb 29 2012, 05:28 PM) View Post
Minecraft is awful, and don't give me that bull crap on how "oh you must not be that good at it." Or " you just think it's over rated and that makes it bad". NO, the fact that I played and it sucked a whole lot and I didn't have fun, is what made it bad. I didn't have fun, but maybe you did, this is just my opinion and I am happy if you liked. I'm just not into it.
You probably only played the s***ty browser-based "classic" minecraft on free, garbage servers. If that was my only experience with the game I'd feel the same way. Thankfully, the commercial version is nothing like that, and I'd probably rate it as my second favourite game, right behind Guitar Hero.

Edited by NoeL, 29 February 2012 - 09:30 PM.

#21 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:46 PM

The dragon takes like 30 seconds to beat...there really IS nothing to do after that, if you've built what you wanted to build, and already have farms. As I said before, Terraria was superior to Minecraft with the content and objectives, although both games suffered from not having much else to do but build after you've done everything, however, on Terraria it takes a long time to get to that point, and on Minecraft....make a nether portal, rape the dragon and you're done.

#22 Geoffrey

Geoffrey

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:49 PM

QUOTE(Koh @ Feb 29 2012, 06:46 PM) View Post

The dragon takes like 30 seconds to beat...there really IS nothing to do after that, if you've built what you wanted to build, and already have farms. As I said before, Terraria was superior to Minecraft with the content and objectives, although both games suffered from not having much else to do but build after you've done everything, however, on Terraria it takes a long time to get to that point, and on Minecraft....make a nether portal, rape the dragon and you're done.

Someone fought the dragon on creative mode~ icon_whistle.gif

#23 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:13 AM

QUOTE(Ornlu @ Feb 29 2012, 09:49 PM) View Post
Someone fought the dragon on creative mode~ icon_whistle.gif
Lol, that's exactly what I was thinking.

QUOTE(Koh @ Feb 29 2012, 08:46 PM) View Post
The dragon takes like 30 seconds to beat
I've never even gotten up to the dragon so I can't comment, but given how much health it has I'd bet it takes a fair bit longer than that.

QUOTE(Koh @ Feb 29 2012, 08:46 PM) View Post
on Minecraft....make a nether portal, rape the dragon and you're done.
icon_odd2.gif OMG UR SUCH A N00B!!! icon_lol.gif

For one, the dragon doesn't live in the nether. It lives in The End. For two, you CAN'T make an end portal! You have to find them in strongholds (which I've yet to find, because the ender pearls are buggy).

EDIT: In order to get to the dragon you have to:
1) Find three diamonds in order to harvest obsidian (or you can cheat and just build the nether portal with a mold icon_razz.gif )
2) Find a nether fortress and kill yourself some Blazes (tough enemies, pretty rare)
3) Kill ~20 Endermen (which are rare, and don't always drop the ender pearls you need)
4) Find a stronghold and have enough eyes of ender to open the portal
5) Have collected a s***load of arrows, or have a bow with an infinite ammo enchantment, or be a total badass with the sword so you can actually kill the damn thing.

Trust me, it takes a solid few hours to get there.

Edited by NoeL, 01 March 2012 - 02:22 AM.

#24 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:18 PM

QUOTE(NoeL @ Mar 1 2012, 02:13 AM) View Post

Lol, that's exactly what I was thinking.
I've never even gotten up to the dragon so I can't comment, but given how much health it has I'd bet it takes a fair bit longer than that.

icon_odd2.gif OMG UR SUCH A N00B!!! icon_lol.gif

For one, the dragon doesn't live in the nether. It lives in The End. For two, you CAN'T make an end portal! You have to find them in strongholds (which I've yet to find, because the ender pearls are buggy).

EDIT: In order to get to the dragon you have to:
1) Find three diamonds in order to harvest obsidian (or you can cheat and just build the nether portal with a mold icon_razz.gif )
2) Find a nether fortress and kill yourself some Blazes (tough enemies, pretty rare)
3) Kill ~20 Endermen (which are rare, and don't always drop the ender pearls you need)
4) Find a stronghold and have enough eyes of ender to open the portal
5) Have collected a s***load of arrows, or have a bow with an infinite ammo enchantment, or be a total badass with the sword so you can actually kill the damn thing.

Trust me, it takes a solid few hours to get there.

Which are nothing compared to the 200+ Hours I've logged into Terraria XD.

#25 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:34 PM

I've got 327 hours in Terraria thus far.

Anyway, 1.2 video.

#26 Eurysilas

Eurysilas

Paladin

• Members

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:45 PM

Now, see? How could that NOT be fun? I suppose the graphics aren't "UBER COO!", but honestly, I think every generation of gamers after me grew into humungous graphics whores.

It looks awesome to me.

#27 Chakaa

Chakaa

Hench 4 Life

• Members

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:11 PM

Has anyone updated and found the new cats yet?

QUOTE(Eurysilas @ Mar 1 2012, 06:45 PM) View Post

I think every generation of gamers after me grew into humungous graphics whores.

QFT

#28 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:10 PM

QUOTE(Eurysilas @ Mar 1 2012, 06:45 PM) View Post

Now, see? How could that NOT be fun? I suppose the graphics aren't "UBER COO!", but honestly, I think every generation of gamers after me grew into humungous graphics whores.

It looks awesome to me.

I'm definitely not a graphical whore, as I love my 2D sprites and pixels. HOWEVER, this has naught to do with Minecraft's graphics, but content. They're adding a few new things, yes, which is nice, but exploring them will only take like an hour, two hours tops, and then it's back to square one :/. There's not much to keep you piqued in the game, minus the building, which gets old pretty fast.

#29 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:29 PM

QUOTE(Ultimatezeldafan546 @ Feb 29 2012, 06:28 PM) View Post

I respect your opinion and can see how you can hate it. Mincraft is The only game I've actually rage quite before. It's a game that when something bad happens, it truely pisses you off. But may I ask how it's horrible? Like specific reasons. I'm curious about your oppinion and want to learn more icon_twisted.gif

#30 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:50 PM

QUOTE(Koh @ Mar 1 2012, 12:18 PM) View Post
Which are nothing compared to the 200+ Hours I've logged into Terraria XD.
I've probably got the same - if not more - for Minecraft. You're kinda missing the point of the game if you just do the minimum required to kill the dragon then stop playing. icon_sweat.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users