Photo

who has beat zelda 2 the adventure of link?

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#31 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 03 May 2010 - 03:46 AM

I have finished Zelda 2. icon_smile.gif I played it when I was a kid. My main difficulty was navigating the Great Palace. With enough effort one can learn to fight off the enemies, but finding your way to the boss without any kind of map? Extremely difficult, because the Great Palace has dozens of dead ends and all the paths (even the incorrect ones) have equally difficult enemies to face.

I have a fun story, which I'll leave to the end of this post.

QUOTE(Dawnlight @ May 2 2010, 10:07 AM) View Post
The trick in the Great Palace is to not engage in battle with those bird knights.

No it isn't. The trick is to use upward thrust on them. icon_biggrin.gif

...or just avoid them. Whatever works according to the situation. But defeating them is not necessary, although it is sometimes a good idea. I seem to remember that all of the Great Palace enemies give crap EXP, though.

QUOTE(cosmofield @ May 2 2010, 10:43 AM) View Post
I am Error icon_biggrin.gif

You know Bagu? Then I can help you cross.

QUOTE(cosmofield @ May 2 2010, 10:43 AM) View Post
(seriously who was that guy btw, was his name missed in translation)

Actually, it was probably a fairly phonetic translation. They probably should have changed the spelling, though, since it looked like... ahem... an error.

Nathaniel's probably right; it might have been derived from the name "Errol." (Errol Flynn, anyone?) But then, Hyrule frequently has weird names, like "Nabooru," so perhaps it wasn't supposed to resemble a real name.

QUOTE(Nathaniel @ May 2 2010, 10:57 AM) View Post
As for the Ironknuckles, they are not anywhere close to being the easiest, since a downward thrust does not work on them, and you need to hit them fast enough before their shield blocks your move. They certainly are not on par with bits and bots.

No, Ironknuckles are not easy on average, but there is a way to "cheat" with orange ones and sometimes even red and blue ones. Here's how:

Get within sword range, then wait for an opening, and jump straight up. As you come down from the peak of your jump, hold down on the D-pad. Press B just before you hit the ground. You will execute a midair high attack that will turn into a low attack midswing. The AI will be forced to switch between a high block and a low block with perfect timing. The orange Ironknuckles usually can't manage to block this. Red ones can sometimes. Blue ones usually DO block it, but it's often easier to land than a regular low attack, and in any case it keeps them busy. Just watch out for their sword projectiles.

QUOTE(Prospekt @ May 2 2010, 11:02 AM) View Post
Iron Knuckles aren't that hard. Duck, jump, and stab as you're falling. It damages them no matter what, 99% of the time.

Okay, I wrote the above paragraph before seeing this post... anyway, yes, you're right in that the above technique works well. However, I clearly remember that it failed far more often than 1% of the time with red and blue Ironknuckles. It's definitely the best strategy to use on the very last boss, though (perhaps in tandem with the "Jump" spell).

QUOTE(Daemon @ May 2 2010, 10:45 PM) View Post
Next time I face Dark Link I won't fall back on the cheap method, and fight him like he was meant to be fought.

Fighting Dark Link on the ground is so annoying that I am tempted to believe that you're SUPPOSED to use "cheap" tactics against him. I mean, they must have had playtesters before Zelda 2 was released in Japan. And most normal players discover the "cheap" tactic on their own; it's not necessarily something you'd only think to use after reading an FAQ. Anyway, let me know how you fare in a grounded battle... Incidentally, there is a fan-programmed game out there which is nothing but a ground-up recreation of the Dark Link battles from Z2. Anyone who's interested in trying it, PM me and I'll find you a link URL.

So anyway, about my story: sometime last year I was cleaning out a drawer, and I found a letter I had received when I was around age 12 or so. I had gotten Zelda 2 for birthday/Christmas (one of the two), and I was stuck at the Great Palace. I got so stuck that I gave up and put the game away for an entire year.

I had a good friend at school who also owned the game. Unfortunately, he later moved away. Eventually I got a letter from him telling how he'd been. He also boasted that he'd found out how to finish the Great Palace, and included a crudely drawn map on notebook paper. I remember I was very excited to find this out, and finished Zelda 2 that week. It still wasn't easy, but at least I knew where to go.

If I can find the letter again, I'll scan the map for you guys. You might get a laugh out of it. Instead of "Thunderbird," he labeled the second-to-last boss as "Ganon."

#32 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 03 May 2010 - 11:21 AM

QUOTE(Daemon @ May 2 2010, 11:45 PM) View Post

Woo, just beat it!

I actually ditched the save file I was using, to play on my old one (my old one had everything and all the palaces beaten, my newer was missing two palaces.) Worked out pretty well, my newer file let me brush up on my skills, while my old one gave me faster access to the Great Palace (didn't cheat on my old one either, all of it was my own hard work.)

Thunderbird was a joke, and Dark Link was easy given a cheap strategy. icon_razz.gif

Next time I face Dark Link I won't fall back on the cheap method, and fight him like he was meant to be fought.

I feel accomplished, now I should probably go to bed. *Yawn*

well good job! i did not think thunder bird was a joke though...and i fought dark link the real and more hard and fun way.
its very hard though, but i still did it! icon_lol.gif

#33 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 03 May 2010 - 12:05 PM

I haven't finished it yet since I'm only on Level 4. It's quite annoying since I always have to get into random places by touching enemies.

#34 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 03 May 2010 - 01:42 PM

QUOTE(Eddy23911 @ May 3 2010, 11:05 AM) View Post

I haven't finished it yet since I'm only on Level 4. It's quite annoying since I always have to get into random places by touching enemies.

what maze palace i believe yeah i know its annoying to bump into those enemy sequences...

#35 Daemon

Daemon

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 03 May 2010 - 01:46 PM

I didn't find level 4 annoying at all... It was quite easy, really. Now the Great Palace, that of course, was a different story... Although it still wasn't that hard.

#36 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 03 May 2010 - 01:50 PM

QUOTE(Daemon @ May 3 2010, 07:46 PM) View Post

I didn't find level 4 annoying at all... It was quite easy, really. Now the Great Palace, that of course, was a different story... Although it still wasn't that hard.

Well I'm only at the end of Level 4 anyway.

#37 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 03 May 2010 - 01:58 PM

QUOTE(Daemon @ May 3 2010, 12:46 PM) View Post

stfu! great palace was very hard!!! well...until you no where to go and then its a little more easier,but still hard idc its your opinion i guess...

#38 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 03 May 2010 - 02:11 PM

QUOTE(cremeens1000 @ May 3 2010, 02:58 PM) View Post

stfu! great palace was very hard!!! well...until you no where to go and then its a little more easier,but still hard idc its your opinion i guess...

Can you please not tell other members to STFU (as in "shut the f*** up")? This can easily be considered flaming, which is against our rules, and even when there is doubt, people might take it that way. Try to make an effort not to offend. It is something called "tact", which can help you tremendously in any forum-based environment. Also, take the chance to look over our forum rules.

#39 Jupiter

Jupiter

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 03 May 2010 - 02:18 PM

I have beaten it many times...never cheated. It's hard in a great way.

A very underrated game.

#40 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 03 May 2010 - 02:43 PM

Everybody who says the Great Palace is annoying: I actually like it. I love the music, and I love most of the enemies. And the ones that are too tough - well, let's just say that getting stalked by an insane bird knight can actually be quite amusing. icon_razz.gif

However, Thunderbird is another story. I'm so underleveled, I use thunder, and I have no magic left. He kills me in three hits. I kill him in fourteen. So, ya, hopefully you can see the problem there. icon_razz.gif

#41 Jupiter

Jupiter

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 03 May 2010 - 02:47 PM

QUOTE(Russ @ May 3 2010, 02:43 PM) View Post

Everybody who says the Great Palace is annoying: I actually like it. I love the music, and I love most of the enemies. And the ones that are too tough - well, let's just say that getting stalked by an insane bird knight can actually be quite amusing. icon_razz.gif

However, Thunderbird is another story. I'm so underleveled, I use thunder, and I have no magic left. He kills me in three hits. I kill him in fourteen. So, ya, hopefully you can see the problem there. icon_razz.gif

The final dungeon in AoL might be my favorite in the series (along with the final in LoZ)--and I don't think it's just nostalgia...its the epicness of them...the challenge. The final dungeons in more recent Zelda's--the 3D Zeldas--have been mightily disappointing.

Also...somebody out there really likes Zelda 2...I just stumbled across this poem to Zelda 2 online...yeesh. He gets all Romeo and Juliette at the end...it's goofy but kinda entrancing.

#42 Daemon

Daemon

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 03 May 2010 - 04:03 PM

QUOTE(Russ @ May 3 2010, 02:43 PM) View Post

Yes, the Great Palace was a lot of fun. Truthfully though, I only got hit once or twice in my Thunderbird battle, without reflect on. I did have maxed stats, but that only decreased the time it took (I probably would of died with 1 in each stat though. icon_razz.gif)

The Great Palace's music is one of the best pieces in the whole Zelda series in my opinion.

The final dungeon in AoL might be my favorite in the series (along with the final in LoZ)--and I don't think it's just nostalgia...its the epicness of them...the challenge. The final dungeons in more recent Zelda's--the 3D Zeldas--have been mightily disappointing.

I agree with this. The 3D Zeldas can give an epic feeling, with dungeons like Ganon's Castle, but the dungeons themselves are pathetic.

Edited by Daemon, 03 May 2010 - 04:04 PM.

#43 Old-Skool

Old-Skool

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 03 May 2010 - 04:28 PM

QUOTE(Nathaniel @ May 2 2010, 12:57 PM) View Post

I think it was completely a joke on the programmers' part. If it wasn't, the only name I can think of that is close to Error is Errol, a name I have only heard a few times.

NOOOOOO

it actually is his name, letter for letter. This was confirmed by Nintendo. Plus, there is a man in the harbor town of Mido that references Error by name, and tells you that you need to talk to him in order to reach the third palace. Upon talking to this guy, return to Ruto and Error will actually say something besides his name. A lot of people apparently think this was a mistake or something. Error is actually intentionally named that, as his Red-clad cousin to the far south is named Bagu. Sorta like Bug...

As for the Ironknuckles, they are not anywhere close to being the easiest, since a downward thrust does not work on them, and you need to hit them fast enough before their shield blocks your move. They certainly are not on par with bits and bots.

So you agree there is a difference between a bot and a blue IronKnuckle? Why do so many people think the "spell" spell is useless??!?

Anyway, I went ahead and beat it again last night. It took a few tries, but only cause I got lost on my way to Thunderbird. I got it now though.

Edited by Old-skool, 03 May 2010 - 04:33 PM.

#44 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 03 May 2010 - 06:19 PM

okay, i am so sorry...i try not to swear, but i swear a bunch on other chatting sites...so yeah i did not mean to say....well what i said,
and he is....well i guess he is my friend, i mean i never invited him but i consider him a friend. just messing around wont happen again!

QUOTE(Daemon @ May 3 2010, 03:03 PM) View Post

Yes, the Great Palace was a lot of fun. Truthfully though, I only got hit once or twice in my Thunderbird battle, without reflect on. I did have maxed stats, but that only decreased the time it took (I probably would of died with 1 in each stat though. icon_razz.gif)

The Great Palace's music is one of the best pieces in the whole Zelda series in my opinion.
I agree with this. The 3D Zeldas can give an epic feeling, with dungeons like Ganon's Castle, but the dungeons themselves are pathetic.

yes the great palace's music is the best or, one of the best.
and i like the dungeons in the 2-D zelda games better.

ok here are my opinions on the enemies and palaces,

bits and bots: very easy, they can get annoying when they are on a higher platform and jump on you.
threat: 2

ache: they are easy but very annoying when you are a lower level, they just keep on swooping down on you.
threat 3

Geldarm: not a big deal.
threat:2

gorya: they are very annoying and SOME-WHAT hard when you are just beginning.
threat:5

Lowder: they can be annoying but very easy especially with the down-ward thrust.
threat 2

moblin: can be a tiny bit hard again when you are a lower level.
threat:3

deeler: the red ones are easy, the blue ones are annoying when you are like fighting a lizzlefos.
threat:3

octorok: cake!
threat:2

scorpion: again. don't know there really name. kinda hard...i guess. threat: 6

daria: realy hard, but once you you fight then a lot in death mountain they get pretty easy.
threat:8

moa: these guys are !@#$ing annoying!!! but not hard to kill.
threat: 7

ironknuckle: when you dont know how to beat them they are one of the most. annoying and hard enemies you will face, but you just jump and as your coming down you hold forward and stab there head. very easy!
threat: 6

myu: with the down-ward thrust, the easiest enemies in the whole game!
threat: 0

stalfos: pretty easy, not a hard enemy. just duck and hit there legs, the armored ones are a little harder though.
threat: 3

mace thrower: i think its weird that the last boss in super mario bros is one of the first enemies you face in zelda II,
just get close to him when he jumps, and then he is very easy, threat: 5

tinsuit: these guys are one of the most annoying enemies, very VERY easy but they run into you and take exe points from you.
threat: 0

bubble: not realy a challenge unless the ceiling is low and they're is a really fast one. threat: 3

ache man: these guys are different then those aches, just as annoying but when they reach the floor, they trun into a devil like thing and shoot fire. and it hurts! threat:4

megmat: not a hard enemy but, they jump around and jump all over you: threat: 3

bagu bagu: these fish guys on the bridge are very annoying but just keep on going and duck when one comes so you dont get hit but there rocks. threat:4

rope: blue, easy red very annoying but easy to kill, like in the great palace when there hiding in the tower of blocks and you have to break them and they just keep on shooting fire balls at you. threat for blue:2 for red:4

dragon head: these guys are very annoying like when you are on the bridge and they fly into and knock you into the lava. threat: 4

wolf head: EXTREMELY ANNOYING!!! threat 6

doomknocker: they are very strong, but with the down-ward thrust its a little easier. threat: 7

tektike: easy but annoying when they jump into you and waist magic to kill them. threat:4

digdoger/patra: dont know they're real name but, not to hard a little annoying. threat:4

leever: easy. threat: 2

zora: not a big deal. threat: 3

lizzlefos: one of the hardest enemies. at fist again use the strategy that you use for ironknuckles and they are a little easier,
(sometimes it dose not work, but it will help a lot) threat: 8

boon: very annoying. threat:5

wizzrobe: are you kidding me!? threat: 2

sorcerer: a lot like wizzrobes, but a lot harder. i have never killed these guys i just run away from them. threat: 8

foka(bird knight) the all time hardest enemies ever!!! threat: 12

phoenix: one of the hardest but not to hard. threat: 7

big bubble: even easier then a little one! threat: 1

big bot/ great palace bots: a lot harder then regular bots, specifically the big bot. threat: 6

bosses. the bosses have different threats to be quiet!

horse head: not a problem at all. threat: 3

helmet head: harder then horse head but still, not a problem. threat: 4

rebonack: just a blue ironknuckle on a horse, but still is harder, and later is a mini boss. threat: 6

carock: the easiest boss! just use the reflect spell and duck in the corner and he is dead! threat: 2

gooma: i had a lot of trouble with this guy. he is very strong, but you just use the jump and shield spell and runn up to him and quickly run away. threat: 8

barba: not really that hard, sometimes you might fall into the fire pit, but other then that A LOT easier then gooma. threat: 5

thunderbird: he is wicked strong! his fire balls do a lot of damage...but, just use the thunder spell and jump spell and use some agility and stab his head like crazy! threat: 9

dark link!!!: the all time hardest boss in the whole game!...unless you suck like a little baby and do the g@y corner stab trick,
but without that there is another strategy but is still very hard. when he jumps you slash him when he falls down.
threat:20

#45 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 03 May 2010 - 08:23 PM

All this talk about Zelda 2 makes me wanna pop it into my NES and give it another go. And I'd do it, too, but my stupid cart has a tendency to erase all my data, lock-up or put stupid doors where there shouldn't be. icon_frown.gif

Eh, I guess I could settle for an emulator, but it won't give the same feel. icon_xd.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users