Photo

Screenshot of the Week 297

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
34 replies to this topic

Poll: ! (40 member(s) have cast votes)

!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 19 October 2010 - 03:37 AM

Avataro isn't using a new tileset, but rather a rarely used (incomplete) tileset PrinceMSC created. Just to make sure the credit goes where it belongs.
Also, I'm not using BS water but MC water with BS boarders. The ground isn't TMC either but actually a fusion of BS and TMC. But thank you for the input. icon_smile.gif

Edited by Sheik, 20 October 2010 - 04:59 PM.

#17 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 19 October 2010 - 04:20 AM

Just saying, i didn't make the tiles i'm using. It's the AI tileset. I just made the screen and subscreen. icon_smile.gif

EDIT: Shiek already said it icon_confused.gif

Edited by Avataro, 19 October 2010 - 01:39 PM.

#18 octorok

octorok

Lord of the Octoroks

• Members

Posted 19 October 2010 - 12:46 PM

I think Sheik rigged the contest..

.... with awesomesauce!!! All of them are really good, good job this week everybody! icon_cool.gif

#19 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 19 October 2010 - 01:44 PM

Thanks for the postive feedback, everybody! It's greatly appreciated.

#20 Geoffrey

Geoffrey

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 19 October 2010 - 09:02 PM

MarioBrosCom:
Good, solid screen. The palette is a little bright for my taste, but apart from that I like it.

Dawnlight:
The upper part of the cliff looks a little blank compared to the forest below it, but it's not that big a deal. It's definitely a good screen though, it's like it's somewhat empty, but for a purpose. icon_thumbsup.gif

Orin XD:
Well made screen, but I have a beef with those rocks. It's a bit of a style clash.

I like your subscreen. Personally, I don't like how the mountains are used...but I've spent way too much time with that tileset, so don't take my opinion too seriously. Rip some stuff from this, it'll probably help you quite a bit. The pink castle tiles in there are mine, so give credit if you use those. I made them for Weasels, but it doesn't look like his quest has made much progress (or any in the last year or so icon_razz.gif).

Sheik:
Holy balls this is perfection! I don't care if it's not your birthday I'm still baking you a cake.
...and a shrine in my bedroom.
*votes*

#21 Titanium Justice

Titanium Justice

Justice is served!

• Members

Posted 19 October 2010 - 09:06 PM

I voted for Sheik, simply because I love those kind of graphics.

#22 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 20 October 2010 - 05:35 AM

QUOTE(Orin XD @ Oct 19 2010, 02:30 AM) View Post

Dawnlight: Fairly simple. But, where's the action? It would be nice to have a Octorok running around for Link to kill.

You don't need enemies to make action. Fast timing puzzles and traps are action, and care to explain how an Octorok witch you can kill in one hit make action?

Mario Bros Com: Nice scenery, nice pallet to top it off.

Dawnlight: Another awesome scenery you just set nice good to see you went back to ZC.

Orin XD: Pallet hurts my eyes to much light blue/cyan 'nuff said.

Avataro: Some tiles are bit repetitive through good try with AI set.

Sheik: My eyes can't handle that much talent and aw...esom...e.. *Is blind*

Voted for the creative Sheik I starting to get bored with DoR screens flooding in Avataro and Dawnlight came second becuse Avataro used another set Dawnlight feels bright and secrecy.

#23 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 20 October 2010 - 03:31 PM

QUOTE(Midnight_King @ Oct 20 2010, 05:35 AM) View Post
QUOTE(Orin XD @ Oct 19 2010, 02:30 AM) View Post

Dawnlight: Fairly simple. But, where's the action? It would be nice to have a Octorok running around for Link to kill.
You don't need enemies to make action. Fast timing puzzles and traps are action, and care to explain how an Octorok witch you can kill in one hit make action?
It doesn't have fast timing, puzzles, or traps either. icon_razz.gif An enemy, however minor, is something for the player to interact with on the screen; otherwise it's like the screen is just 13 more tiles for you to walk through. And really, it's not as if every screen needs it, but the point of SotW is to put something out that you feel like represents great work; while having a screen that offers simply functional gameplay is nice and is going to be the bulk of a quest, SotW winners should be something more. It doesn't have to be action- as I'll repeat in a minute- but it should be something unique.

As soon as I saw Sheik's shot, I had to vote for it. It's a phenomenal example of bringing together tiles from multiple sources and creating a screen that still flows extremely well. There isn't any action, but the screen itself is gorgeous. Great use of palette and combo placement (it's subtle, but notice how he never lines up a tree vertically? That is a good design technique) along with unsymmetrical design makes an interesting screen that's still easy to look at.

#24 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 20 October 2010 - 03:40 PM

QUOTE(Ebola Zaire @ Oct 20 2010, 10:31 PM) View Post

As soon as I saw Sheik's shot, I had to vote for it. It's a phenomenal example of bringing together tiles from multiple sources and creating a screen that still flows extremely well. There isn't any action, but the screen itself is gorgeous. Great use of palette and combo placement (it's subtle, but notice how he never lines up a tree vertically? That is a good design technique) along with unsymmetrical design makes an interesting screen that's still easy to look at.

Thank you, Ebola. icon_smile.gif ...actually, I'm not too wild about my palette myself, so I was surpriesed when you mentioned it to be rather good. Maybe I'll keep it after all? Also, I'm actually growing on vertically lined up trees to create a look, that feels more canon. No worries, though, I'd still make sure that everything looks natural and "flows well". (But theoretically I agree with you on the issue of lined up trees, it's just that I think that it's still at least possible to make it look right.)

Edit: Also, since everybody mentions that Dawnlight's screen could use some enemies... It's kinda funny. I've actually already played it and there are two red ChuChu's on this screen. Now, THAT was a major Golden Memories spoiler, wasn't it?

Edited by Sheik, 20 October 2010 - 03:43 PM.

#25 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 20 October 2010 - 03:43 PM

I'm still waiting for a true next generation tileset, and the tiles in Sheik's shot really shows next generation.

#26 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 20 October 2010 - 03:47 PM

QUOTE(Dawnlight @ Oct 20 2010, 10:43 PM) View Post

I'm still waiting for a true next generation tileset, and the tiles in Sheik's shot really shows next generation.

Wow, thank you. icon_redface.gif That's quite a lot praise for a quickly whipped up mock-up screen here. Next week I will make sure to show off something more special.
Also, thanks again for the great feedback, guys, it's boosting my motivation to work on this tileset! =)

Edited by Sheik, 20 October 2010 - 04:16 PM.

#27 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 20 October 2010 - 06:11 PM

QUOTE(Molten Onyx @ Oct 19 2010, 08:02 PM) View Post
I like your subscreen. Personally, I don't like how the mountains are used...but I've spent way too much time with that tileset, so don't take my opinion too seriously. Rip some stuff from this, it'll probably help you quite a bit. The pink castle tiles in there are mine, so give credit if you use those. I made them for Weasels, but it doesn't look like his quest has made much progress (or any in the last year or so icon_razz.gif).
Thanks icon_biggrin.gif
I don't use this tileset for any quests though. I just wanted to test it. It looks so good :-D, but there aren't enough dungeon tiles.
After this entry I'll make a little break from SotW. Maybe just one more entry ;-)
In my opinion Sheiks screen is 7/10
Very good icon_thumbsup.gif, but I don't really know whats so special about it

Edited by Avataro, 20 October 2010 - 09:24 PM.

#28 Orithan

Orithan

Studying Scientist - Commission from Silvixen

• Members

Posted 20 October 2010 - 10:57 PM

Shiek is definatley the runaway winner here, but I didn't go too bad considering that I have 4 votes, this is my first SoTW and I'm only second-last.

QUOTE(Midnight_King @ Yesterday, 08:35 PM)
Orin XD: Pallet hurts my eyes to much light blue/cyan 'nuff said.

I understand, It was quite an eyesore when I first worked with this pallet. This is actually an overworld pallet rather than dungeon. I better make a new pallet that isn't so much as an eyesore so you guys can play it alright when I release the first demo of Diamond Quest.

#29 Ice Cream Link

Ice Cream Link

Ascendant

• Members

Posted 22 October 2010 - 07:11 PM

Rise of Giratina? icon_confused.gif

#30 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 22 October 2010 - 07:26 PM

Please Ice Cream Link, please make posts that are worthwhile, and pertain to the topic. I know you are new, so just take a look at the Forum Rules/Guidelines in the link at the topic of the forums. Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users