Ahem. Welcome one and all to the Metroidvania quest contest. In this contest, you will be working to create a quest in the Metroidvania genre. There are no restrictions on length or subgenres, as long as the quest can be defined as Metroidvania style. But what is Metroidvania?
Alright. So how's this?
A metoidvania quest comes from the concept of the mixture of Metroid and Castlevania, and refers to a type of quest that takes place within one large defined area, made of smaller subareas. It can have a linear, semilinear or non linear style. But it is designed in a way where upgrades allow you to progress further through the subareas. Metroidvania quests thrive off of interconnectivety and seemless transitions. Each area may contain its own subgoal, but they all should lead to the same major goal. Metroidvania quests also thrive off a certain feeling, so to get that feeling, I recommend playing Freedom in Chains, Hitodama, Lyrics of Death, Rite of the Storm and Yuurei.
Rules and Guidelines:
1. You have one week to plan.
2. The only restriction on this planning time is that you cannot make any screens for your quest.
3. After the week of planning, you will have one month to design your quest.
4. You can create or use any resources you desire for your quest.
5. Be wary of themes that may be too mature, or especially, offensive.
6. Partner projects are allowed.
7. Ask any questions you wish.
The categories that will be used in the final poll are.
Friday, July 7th, 12:00 AM EST
Monday, August 7th, 12:00 AM EST
Edited by Shoshon the Elegant, 29 June 2017 - 05:35 AM.