53 replies to this topic

#1 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 16 May 2011 - 08:09 PM

I've been wondering this.
I was think about two woman that are married, running a shop in a town in my game.
How would you people react to this, and would it be okay, with most members that play it?
Being gay myself, i'm okay with it, but some people could be offended by it, and automatically give me hate or a low rating.

What do you guys think?

#2 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 16 May 2011 - 08:14 PM

Meh, to be completely honest, I find the whole thing strange. It wouldn't stop me from playing or enjoying the game, but it'd be kinda weird. Like CC putting the little girl in Ebola's closet in BoaB. Just something I'd go "okay..." and walk away from.

#3 Isdrakthül

Isdrakthül

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 16 May 2011 - 08:22 PM

There's nothing wrong with it, and I doubt that it would in any way lessen my enjoyment of the quest.

#4 Bayta

Bayta

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 16 May 2011 - 08:23 PM

Around 90% of my IRL friends are either gay or bisexual. Go for it. I don't really see the point in putting a random gay couple in a Zelda game, but it doesn't do a damned thing to deteriorate the quality of the game. If somebody rates the game poorly just because of that, then the problem is on his/her end, not on yours.

Edited by Beta Link, 16 May 2011 - 08:24 PM.

#5 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 16 May 2011 - 08:25 PM

QUOTE(Beta Link @ May 16 2011, 09:23 PM) View Post

Around 90% of my IRL friends are either gay or bisexual. Go for it. I don't really see the point in putting a random gay couple in a Zelda game, but it doesn't do a damned thing to deteriorate the quality of the game. If somebody rates the game poorly just because of that, then the problem is on his/her end, not on yours.

I don't know the difference between " ^ This" and "Ditto" but either way, you've got my vote sir. :blink

#6 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 16 May 2011 - 08:26 PM

I see no problem with it. I say go for it. icon_smile.gif

#7 Snarwin

Snarwin

Still Lazy After All These Years

• Members

Posted 16 May 2011 - 08:33 PM

It's a pair of nigh-inconsequential, most likely nameless NPCs; do whatever the hell you want with them. Anyone who complains would have to be going out of their way to look for something to nitpick about.

#8 Ice Cream Link

Ice Cream Link

Ascendant

• Members

Posted 16 May 2011 - 08:49 PM

QUOTE(Lynker @ May 16 2011, 05:09 PM) View Post

I've been wondering this.
I was think about two woman that are married, running a shop in a town in my game.
How would you people react to this, and would it be okay, with most members that play it?
Being gay myself, i'm okay with it, but some people could be offended by it, and automatically give me hate or a low rating.

What do you guys think?

Actually, I'm really offended at the gay thing. It's pretty wrong. I personally hate it.
But... It would be kind of hilarious for me. icon_xd.gif
I mean, imagine that; two women who... love each other, and are married, that are running a shop together. Lol.
And sometimes in anime there are girls and/or guys thats seem to want to have a gay relationship. Pfft... icon_kawaii.gif
I wouldn't mind it at all. And even if I did, I wouldn't look at that part, but the actual gameplay. icon_razz.gif
  • Professor Bedwetter likes this

#9 Geoffrey

Geoffrey

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 16 May 2011 - 08:53 PM

I don't enjoy the idea of homosexuality, but that doesn't mean I have anything against it. As Beta Link said, if you get a low rating simply for having some lesbians in your quest, that shows something negative about the maturity of the player, and certainly does not reflect the quality of your quest.

Put them in if you want, it's really up to you.

Edited by Ornlu, 16 May 2011 - 08:53 PM.

#10 Xenix

Xenix

Well excuse me princess.

• Members

Posted 16 May 2011 - 09:04 PM

in reality, i'm against gay stuff like that. but i don't mind in a zelda quest, as long as it doesn't go far enough to where it's one of those "oh god!" moments where you have to look away. i wouldn't rate it any less, but i'm still not into that kind of stuff. i still say, if you want to, go for it.

#11 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 16 May 2011 - 09:17 PM

I see no problem with it. I'd say just put a disclaimer with it for those who have strong conservative/traditional/religious values. That way they can know about the existence of such content in advance. So if it bothers them enough, they can avoid what they don't want to be exposed to.

#12 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 16 May 2011 - 09:22 PM

QUOTE(Russ @ May 17 2011, 03:14 AM) View Post
Meh, to be completely honest, I find the whole thing strange. It wouldn't stop me from playing or enjoying the game, but it'd be kinda weird. Like CC putting the little girl in Ebola's closet in BoaB. Just something I'd go "okay..." and walk away from.
Dude, this is nothing like that o.O

I for one encourage so-called "hot topics" in works of fiction, such as racism and homosexuality (not that I'm trying to compare the two, not at all). However, it has to be done right. If it's done purely to have someone gay in your game, the point of it is kind of moot, but you could use it as a method to show people what your own personal thoughts on the subject is.

For example, you could have other people in said village "talk behind their backs", so-to-speak (that is, if it's not generally accepted in the world your quest takes place in. That would be up to you to decide.), and possibly even have the player do a sidequest where he/she has to side with either the village, or the couple in question. Depending on which side you choose, they could possibly have their shop burned to the ground by angry villagers, or you could stop said villagers from doing that.

That's just an example though, and you could go much deeper than that. I hope you do, because I personally think that games taking on serious and important topics is something there's a lack of.

#13 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 16 May 2011 - 09:29 PM

Ooh, Robin. You just changed my mind about taking it out.
I was just going to make one say "My wife runs the shop in the back" but you gave me a whole new idea! Thanks!

#14 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 16 May 2011 - 09:46 PM

I don't have any problem with it, but it feels to me kinda like you may be forcing political correctness into your quest...it just feels a bit phony to me? IDK how you could make it not look phony though. I mean it seems that sensitive subjects like these are always all about political correctness. Just don't go filling your quest with gays, bisexuals, and Scientologists simply because you feel that not doing so would make certain groups feel left out. I know if I was gay, having gays represented in video games would not be on the top of my list of things to accomplish.

So pretty much what Robin said. If you're going to put t in, have some kind of plot significance instead of a useless side character made for the sake of political correctness.

Edited by Pokemonmaster64, 16 May 2011 - 09:47 PM.

#15 Beefster

Beefster

Human Being

• Members

Posted 16 May 2011 - 10:25 PM

It'd actually be pretty funny if you never directly refer to the homosexuality, yet make it obvious like Leeron in Gurren Lagann. AFAIK nobody actually mentions that he is gay, but it is VERY obvious through his mannerisms and appearance. Mentioning homosexuality not only ruins the joke, but could very easily offend a lot of people (including myself)

If you're not playing it for laughs, you're doing it wrong.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users