MC Tileset

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#91 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 07 July 2016 - 12:03 AM

Actually, it appears that whatever bug causes the enemy sprites to be incorrectly offset 2 pixels above their hitbox does not affect scripted enemies at all. A scripted enemy's sprite will be correctly centered in its hitbox without me having to define anything about its position.

This means that by simply entering a number in each enemy's editor I can convert them from default enemies to scripted enemies, which will fix all their positions and will also be forwards-compatible if that bug is corrected!

Yay for good news! :D

EDIT: (this offset was one of the first things I noticed back in '09 http://www.purezc.ne...=43287&p=612670 I never imagined I would find a solution for it! Incredible!)

Edited by Cukeman, 21 July 2016 - 04:46 AM.

#92 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 08 July 2016 - 03:34 PM

I am not 100% sure what you mean. Is this was causes enemies to clip through overhead combos one square above the enemy on the grid?

#93 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 08 July 2016 - 04:09 PM

In NES Z1, things are made up of 16x16 tiles, lined up perfectly on a grid. In ZC, enemies are physically in the same positions, but visually, they are 2 pixels higher, so they don't line up with the grid, and it looks like they are floating in sideview quests.

I am not 100% sure what you mean. Is this was causes enemies to clip through overhead combos one square above the enemy on the grid?

If I understand you, yes. Although it's two pixels, not one.

Also, enemy update: http://www.purezc.ne...48694&p=1001934

Edited by Cukeman, 08 July 2016 - 05:55 PM.

#94 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 17 July 2016 - 06:15 AM

<- Screenshot Update #2

Screenshot Update #3:

Not much progress recently, but wanted to show what I've been working on-

Made a spike roller, unfortunately it takes up a total of 12 FFC slots:
2lx86it.jpg

Showing these Dodongo Snakes again:
25klx87.jpg

Went with the lighter looking Like Like:
2en7vdk.jpg

Floor spikes and Wizzrobes:
23j5udw.jpg

Aaand finally, I started working on Ganon. On the left we have FSA Ganon, in the center I've simply scaled down the image in Photoshop, on the right I've cleaned it up a lot, almost completely re-spriting certain parts as well as re-coloring it to work with my palette:
8we2iw.jpg
After experimenting with several different sizes I found 4x4 to be the best fit for ZC. This sprite is done, but there are several other poses to complete. Applying this larger sprite to ZC's Ganon, or creating a scripted Ganon is still something I'm wrestling with, but I feel like a solution may be closer than I imagine.

Screenshot Update #4 ->

Edited by Cukeman, 20 July 2016 - 11:50 PM.

• Bourkification, Shane, Eddy and 6 others like this

#95 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 17 July 2016 - 06:46 AM

You get a like for the lighter Like Likes! Well and for all the other effort, too. Nice update.

• Cukeman likes this

#96 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 17 July 2016 - 07:24 AM

Hmm, some complete different idea for Ganon. Might it be possible to make it something that does not replace ganon but just overpaste the big sprite above the actual one. With the head, shoulders and arms on a layer above link to let the 2x2 hitbox make sense.

#97 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 17 July 2016 - 08:24 AM

Not much progress recently, but wanted to show what I've been working on-

Made a spike roller, unfortunately it takes up a total of 12 FFC slots:

2lx86it.jpg

Using this script, you can make that same rolling log spike with one ffc.

http://www.purezc.ne...=scripts&id=175

I'm liking what I've seen of this so far. Whenever you get a working model ready for use in a quest; I may want to use it.

• Cukeman likes this

#98 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 17 July 2016 - 02:11 PM

Hmm, some complete different idea for Ganon. Might it be possible to make it something that does not replace ganon but just overpaste the big sprite above the actual one. With the head, shoulders and arms on a layer above link to let the 2x2 hitbox make sense.

I might do something like this. The 2x2 hitbox can definitely be made to work. Layering shouldn't be needed though.

Using this script, you can make that same rolling log spike with one ffc.

http://www.purezc.ne...=scripts&id=175

I'm liking what I've seen of this so far. Whenever you get a working model ready for use in a quest; I may want to use it.

I'm not understanding what the script does right off, but you made me realize I could make the rolling log spike out of regular constant traps using 5 enemies without doing any ffc setup. Of course it will make the trap rebound sound, which isn't authentic.

EDIT: But your solution is probably better, because mine wastes half the enemy placement enemies on one spike.

Edited by Cukeman, 17 July 2016 - 05:26 PM.

#99 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 17 July 2016 - 02:18 PM

I'm not understanding what the script does right off, but you made me realize I could make the rolling log spike out of regular constant traps using 5 enemies without doing any ffc setup. Of course it will make the trap rebound sound, which might not be authentic.

That script lets you make a trap up to 4 x 4 tiles in size of various types. It will either move horizontally, vertically or in a circle. It also can be a stationary horizontal or vertical trap (where it sits in one spot until you're in line with it). It automatically bounces off of walls and solid combos. I think the current version might need a slight bit of refining; due to the fact that it can hurt you repeatedly within the span of a few frames, though.

#100 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 17 July 2016 - 02:55 PM

I'd like to point out that it's entirely possible to make rolling spike traps with three FFCs (one for the spike, two for the changers) and no scripts whatsoever. It won't make rolling noises, but it's by far the easiest solution. You just set your spike FFC to a damage combo, set the TileHeight appropriately, and have it bounce back and forth between two changers that give it an acceleration value, so that it speeds up, stops when it hits the other changer, then gains speed in the opposite direction. It ends up looking like this.

#101 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 17 July 2016 - 04:37 PM

I'd like to point out that it's entirely possible to make rolling spike traps with three FFCs (one for the spike, two for the changers) and no scripts whatsoever. It won't make rolling noises, but it's by far the easiest solution. You just set your spike FFC to a damage combo, set the TileHeight appropriately, and have it bounce back and forth between two changers that give it an acceleration value, so that it speeds up, stops when it hits the other changer, then gains speed in the opposite direction. It ends up looking like this.

I didn't think of having the spike make noises. That could be a feature I'd add later though. As for changers and ffcs, I tend to avoid them due to the fact that I want to use my ffcs for other things and they have to be pixel perfect to work right. I've also had situations where that making the ffc's damage combos didn't work like I thought it should. (That's what I originally did with the large traps, then i found it didn't hurt you if you stayed still.)

#102 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 17 July 2016 - 04:57 PM

It's true that you can adjust the height of an FFC from 1-4 (this spike is 5 tall), but only the upper left 16x16 pixel tile will work as a "Damage (1/2 Heart)" type combo. The tiles that appear as an extension to the east and south will not have the damage dealing properties of the "Damage (1/2 Heart)" type combo, and Link simply passes through them unharmed. That's why it took 12 FFCs.

Also, I don't need rolling or rebounding SFX, there's none in MC.

Also, the ends don't deal damage IIRC, just the spiked area.

Edited by Cukeman, 17 July 2016 - 05:17 PM.

#103 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 17 July 2016 - 07:03 PM

It's true that you can adjust the height of an FFC from 1-4 (this spike is 5 tall), but only the upper left 16x16 pixel tile will work as a "Damage (1/2 Heart)" type combo. The tiles that appear as an extension to the east and south will not have the damage dealing properties of the "Damage (1/2 Heart)" type combo, and Link simply passes through them unharmed. That's why it took 12 FFCs.

Or you could just set the Combo H as well as the Tile H. That way, the combo's effects will cover the proper area as well.

Also, the ends don't deal damage IIRC, just the spiked area.

You could make the ends different FFCs and link them together then. Still uses less FFCs than your method.
  • Naru likes this

#104 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 17 July 2016 - 07:09 PM

Or you could just set the Combo H as well as the Tile H. That way, the combo's effects will cover the proper area as well.

Does Combo H really work that way? That would be awesome, I'll take a look. That would cut my FFC usage from 12 to 6 (still too much, but better)

Edited by Cukeman, 18 July 2016 - 02:13 PM.

#105 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 20 July 2016 - 10:26 PM

<- Screenshot Update #3

Screenshot Update #4:

Ghini and Phantom Ghini. Normal and Golden Ropes:
10ct4df.jpg   oua7bd.jpg

Digdogger family (the kids work, but the parent requires more scripting):
2jee2v5.jpg

I can't tell you how much of a headache it's been trying to figure out these Deku and Mad Scrubs. I'm like, 70% of the way there, but they'll require some sort of scripting solution I don't have yet. Each color comes in two varieties based on movement/attack patterns. There is also the Business Scrub (not pictured):
nbdfti.jpg   veopw9.jpg

Screenshot Update #5 ->

Edited by Cukeman, 26 July 2016 - 04:18 AM.

• Shane, Sheik, Jared and 2 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users