Virus Protection

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 19 May 2012 - 06:44 PM

My mom got a computer that comes with McAfee for a limited time.
I would install AVG, but my dad said you don't want to run two protection programs at once.

My question is how do I tell if McAfee is running or not?
I keep getting this pop up about McAfee, but I don't want to pay for McAfee.
Ideally if McAfee is running, I'd like to let it expire, then install AVG.

#2 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 19 May 2012 - 07:31 PM

QUOTE(Cukeman)

My mom got a computer that comes with McAfee for a limited time.
I would install AVG, but my dad said you don't want to run two protection programs at once.

Yeah you really don't want to run two ativirus's at once it would be a disaster. they would probley flip out. ( I've never had two on one system to find out if that happens)

QUOTE(Cukeman)

My question is how do I tell if McAfee is running or not?
I keep getting this pop up about McAfee, but I don't want to pay for McAfee.
Ideally if McAfee is running, I'd like to let it expire, then install AVG.

Most of the time you should be able to see a McAfee icon on the system tray (You know where you see the clock on the computer)
And I would recommend uninstalling it before it expires though, I had one that expired and it was a pain to completely remove.
I mean if you want you can. but if not, just let it expire and see if you can uninstall it then, and then you can go ahead and install AVG.

#3 Beefster

Beefster

Human Being

• Members

Posted 20 May 2012 - 11:25 PM

McAfee is terrible. It thinks GRUB is a virus.

I'd recommend purging McAfee and replacing it with AVG, or better yet, ClamWin.

#4 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 21 May 2012 - 12:48 AM

Go with Avast instead.

#5 Takuya

Takuya

spirit of fire

• Members

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:02 AM

I know that the built-in newer Windows firewalls and virus stuff is ok. I usually use AVG on Windows.

The way you can tell if it's still running is just pop open task manager. You can also uninstall via the remove programs control panel.

#6 Ben

Ben

a very grumpy

• Members

Posted 21 May 2012 - 12:32 PM

Microsoft Security Essentials will usually fit a home user's needs, isn't intrusive, and won't slow everything down. At this point, any antivirus/antimalware that costs money is pretty much a scam for a home user. The only people paying for protection should be institutions like schools, or corporations.

However, keep something like Malwarebytes around as a backup, regardless of the main antivirus you use.

#7 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 21 May 2012 - 06:04 PM

I rather enjoyed this article.

A few months ago, I ... Oh. Here it is. Yeah, read that too. icon_razz.gif

#8 Soarin

Soarin

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:47 PM

My family uses Norton 360 for the computers.

#9 DCEnygma

DCEnygma

you're going to have a bad time

• Members

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:57 PM

I prefer Norton, honestly. Since around version 4 back in 2009 they have stopped being so bloated and now integrate really well into most systems. Also, I have never had any viruses get through a Norton 360 installation on any computer that I've worked on, so there's that. McAffe, AVG, and Avast haven't been so fortunate. I wouldn't call Norton 360 a scam either, since I think it's usually around 60 bucks for a year of service (and I'm pretty sure that's good for 3 computers.)

#10 Soarin

Soarin

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:55 PM

I also am a Norton user my self. it works wonders for me I would not go back to anything else.

#11 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 14 July 2012 - 11:19 AM

QUOTE(NoeL @ May 21 2012, 12:48 AM) View Post

Go with Avast instead.

This, right here. Avast is much better then AVG.

#12 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 15 July 2012 - 10:33 AM

QUOTE(ShadowTiger @ May 21 2012, 06:04 PM) View Post
A few months ago, I ... Oh. Here it is. Yeah, read that too. icon_razz.gif
Well, I'm going to point out what that article actually recommends to use: Microsoft Security Essentials. icon_razz.gif He was just comparing everything else to it.

It's fairly light in resources, as the article ST posted states, but it's also pretty effective. I haven't had any problems with it, and I'm much fonder of it than Avast and AVG. icon_smile.gif

#13 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:03 PM

I used to use Microsoft Security Essentials, but after awhile of not updating (Like a week) It takes way to long for me to update. (Like 2 hours) Which I hate waiting that long.
So I found Avast Free. and I've been using that ever since, It really don't take long to update Even on crappy dial up.
I have to say I feel pretty safe On my Windows XP with avast, I never had a virus at all yet icon_smile.gif

#14 Ben

Ben

a very grumpy

• Members

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:09 PM

Here's one of the reasons I don't trust any paid antivirus.

Seriously. MSE beats the crap out of Norton, McAfee, and even Kaspersky lately. A definition update won't completely brick your machine.

#15 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:46 PM

A program update to Comodo Firewall once royally messed up some bizarre random corner of my Hard Drive in horrific and unspeakable ways that I dare not recall.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users