• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

thepsynergist

• Members

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:10 PM

You heard that right. 

"Mobile is the platform of today, and now we're also getting ready for the platforms of tomorrow," 
Facebook founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg says. "Oculus has the chance to create the most social platform 
ever, and change the way we work, play and communicate."

So, a crowd-sourced project that was funded $2.5 million thanks to Kickstarter, now has this happen before its even out on the market for the basic consumer (I know you can preorder them, and people that backed them enough on Kickstarter got a dev kit, but still...)

What do you think of this?

Source: http://kotaku.com/fa...lion-1551487939

EDIT: Apparently, Notch isn't too happy about this either, cancelling support for Minecraft on the Oculus platform.

Source: https://twitter.com/...586381565390848

Edited by thepsynergist, 25 March 2014 - 06:15 PM.

#2 anikom15

anikom15

Dictator

• Banned

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:15 PM

Yes, Facebook is a competent company that will no doubt bring epic profits with their newly acquired capital.

Wait, Facebook isn't competent at all.

Edited by anikom15, 25 March 2014 - 06:16 PM.

#3 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

Sometimes lurking. Rarely posting.

• Members

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:26 PM

Well, I'm glad that at least such an innovative product like Oculus Rift was bought out by a major gaming company with lots of experience making immersive worlds and gameplay that is sure to make it a must-have product.

Oh, wait.

#4 DragonDePlatino

DragonDePlatino

Pixel Dragon

• Members

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:29 PM

Farmville! IN FULL STEREOSCOPIC 3D!!!

Oh booooooy I can't wait.  :wth:

• Haylee likes this

#5 DCEnygma

DCEnygma

you're going to have a bad time

• Members

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:59 PM

I always wanted to be able to reject spam bot friend requests in glorious virtual reality.

In all honestly, I have no idea what to make of this. I can see augmented reality and VR having multiple purposes outside of gaming, but I'm not entirely sure where Facebook fits into that. I'm mainly concerned that Oculus was acquired by a company with as many issues regarding member privacy and security as Facebook has had.

#6 anikom15

anikom15

Dictator

• Banned

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:00 PM

If Minecraft remains popular, the Oculus will have little chance of becoming top dog esp. when other VR devices are released.

#7 Mero

Mero

Touch Fluffy Tail

• Banned

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:17 PM

Makes me very happy, one step closer to BTLs.

If you don't know what that is. Go play Shadowrun.

#8 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

thepsynergist

• Members

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:40 PM

I'd rather a different company helm this project, than Facebook...

#9 anikom15

anikom15

Dictator

• Banned

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:47 PM

You mean the game that let's you have Wolverine claws but doesn't have wi-fi? Actually they've probably fixed that in a newer edition.

But that's the thing about Cyberpunk. It was only a brief period in time but one so influential on how we view the future, and almost totally outdated and inaccessible for new readers.

#10 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:03 PM

Well another reason for me to dislike Facebook even more, now with the obtaining the Oculus Rift. Instead of being good its gonna suck now.

Thanks facebook, you just made my day better (Really it did ---Being Sarcastic).

• coolgamer012345 likes this

#11 strike

strike

life is fragile, temporary, and precious

• Members

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:22 PM

WHAT???

This makes no sense... >.<

-Strike

#12 Mero

Mero

Touch Fluffy Tail

• Banned

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:03 PM

I'd rather a different company helm this project, than Facebook...

I agree with you there. I would take the Soviet Union over Facebook anyday. And that's really saying something. :glare:

You mean the game that let's you have Wolverine claws but doesn't have wi-fi? Actually they've probably fixed that in a newer edition.

But that's the thing about Cyberpunk. It was only a brief period in time but one so influential on how we view the future, and almost totally outdated and inaccessible for new readers.

Blame the crash of 2012. Now are you a current shadowrunner or a former shadowrunner. THAT is the question. :tard:

Fun fact, Cyberpunk is anything but outdated. It makes up a good section of the Sci-Fi section at my local barnes and noble anyways.

Well another reason for me to dislike Facebook even more, now with the obtaining the Oculus Rift. Instead of being good its gonna suck now.

Thanks facebook, you just made my day better (Really it did ---Being Sarcastic).

Except their stock prices have crashed after only hours after annoucing the purchase.

WHAT???

This makes no sense... >.<

-Strike

I know right. Why would a social media company want anything to do with virtual reality. They probably just want to get 10 fold what they put into it. However if this falls through it will financially ruin them and they'll become worst then MySpace. MYSPACE!

• coolgamer012345 likes this

#13 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:16 PM

lolwat facebook

#14 SUCCESSOR

SUCCESSOR

Apprentice

• Banned

Posted 26 March 2014 - 12:08 PM

This is a market move. Facebook may not develop games but they are a medium for a great many. I don't think they want to get into making games but I'd make a good bet they are interested in being a controlling aspect of a new branch of gaming/social interaction. I don't know how open the platform was before this but hopefully FB wanting to be a major player will keep the thing somewhat open. I do think there is one benefit to FB acquiring it instead of Microsoft, (besides my hate for M$). FB, to my knowledge has no major hardware commitments. Microsoft has the Xbone which will always be a priority and possibly a bankrupting failure. FB is has nothing but ambition and an abundance of fundage.

#15 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 26 March 2014 - 12:13 PM

I do not understand the negativity people are shoving in Oculus Rift's direction because of this.

Listen, we don't really know what this means for the final product, but what we do know is that for Oculus to even have a shot at becoming the thing that really matters, rather than just being a very important step in the right direction, the company needs proper backing. There are very few companies in the world that are able to support the Rift in the way Facebook can. I would have preferred it if Google had ended up buying it instead, but come on, at the moment this looks good to me.

I doubt very much that you're going to get a Rift with a Facebook-logo on its side. I both hope and think that Facebook sees the potential in the Oculus Rift, and making it a device that's tied to social media makes absolutely no sense to me. I don't think it makes sense to them either. But hey, it is Facebook, so we'll have to see. But in general I see this as a positive thing.

• Jared likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users