I bring Youtube to PureZC

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 13 August 2010 - 08:07 PM

I found some custom bbcode for embedding youtube videos in posts. It has been requested at least once before, and I thought it would be a good idea to have. I will use one of jman's scripting tutorials as an example:

What you need to do is put only the part of the address after the watch?v= part between the tags. Don't use the full web address. Also, if there is an ampersand (the & symbol) somewhere after the =, leave that and whatever follows it out too. So, include what is after the =, and before the &, if it exists.

So the following would be correct usage of the code for the above video:
CODE
[youtube]NudLNcHcrcs[/youtube]

This would be incorrect:
CODE
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NudLNcHcrcs[/youtube]

Bear in mind that if in some way this code is misused in ways not covered by our current set of rules, we may need to establish a new rule about it. But we will play that by ear. Also, please don't senselessly spam this topic just to test it out. Leaving this topic open is mainly for any commentary on this decision. If you wish, you can use the spam topic in OtBP, or if you wish for something more serious about it, another topic in OtBP with the [video] tag at the beginning of the title. This could prove to be useful for the quest video topic, among some other things. After all, the intention is mostly its convenience when relevant to any particular discussion. icon_smile.gif

#2 Old Inactive Member

Old Inactive Member

I'm back sorta.

• Members

Posted 13 August 2010 - 08:23 PM

This seems like a good idea as we will no longer have to go to youtube via links now.

however i can see how this would be abused however is it really abuse if it's not starting up automaticly.

Problay would help if it was on some bar though in the post topic section

#3 Siguy

Siguy

• Members

Posted 13 August 2010 - 08:39 PM

THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU

I've suggested it before, as it's an extremely convenient feature to have, and now it seems my wishes have been answered.

#4 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 13 August 2010 - 09:30 PM

Awesome! This is a pretty handy feature. Thanks for including it. Let's see somebody try to rick roll people now! icon_razz.gif

Edited by Russ, 13 August 2010 - 09:30 PM.

#5 SpikeReynolds

SpikeReynolds

Ironically bald furry

• Members

Posted 13 August 2010 - 09:33 PM

Verily, I say to thee...Groovy, dude.

This has to be one of the best ideas in a long time.

#6 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 13 August 2010 - 09:47 PM

Well this is great for you PC users! Us mobile users can't see the video, so it's just blankspace, though we do get questioned about running a plugin. Just don't over-do it on one page/post of a topic, and us mobile users will get along great icon_wink.gif.

#7 Gleeok

Gleeok

It's dangerous to dough alone, bake this.

• Members

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:13 PM

... Click to view cute kitten video!

.... icon_eyebrow.gif Hmm, It doesn't seem to work as well this way... icon_razz.gif

#8 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members
  • Location:State Of Love And Trust, The United State Of Amorica.

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:21 PM

cool, now I can link you all to my youtubey goodnesses.

wait, I could have done that like this, anyway:

http://www.youtube.c.../10/q1YABGdai5k

oh, but now I can try to make you watch it with a picture to click and no page-changing taxes. I hate those Internet tollbooths! [curses]

#9 Adem

Adem

-

• Members

Posted 13 August 2010 - 11:32 PM

:O

Nifty! Cool new feature.

#10 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 15 August 2010 - 09:42 AM

Nifty. I'm glad BBCode was flexible enough that you could implement this on your own, Nathaniel.

I hope this feature encourages people to use YouTube for posting ZC footage. A number of users have made use of YouTube for ZC demos, walkthroughs, and "Let's Play" videos already.

QUOTE(Gleeok @ Aug 13 2010, 08:13 PM) View Post
... Click to view cute kitten video!

That is the most adorable kitten I've ever seen. How'd you get it to sing and dance like that?

#11 Yapollo

Yapollo

To Discover

• Members

Posted 15 August 2010 - 12:25 PM

Alright, cool. My computer REALLY slows down when multiple windows are open, so this will really help.

Edited by Yapollo, 15 August 2010 - 12:26 PM.

#12 King Harkinian

King Harkinian

This site is still a thing?

• Members

Posted 15 August 2010 - 12:38 PM

This is pure awesome! I see people have already started to use it.

I want to test it. icon_biggrin.gif

Oh look! Psychonauts 2!

Sorry, I just HAD to.

Anyway, this is going to be real helpful, especially when it comes to extra windows.

#13 Snarwin

Snarwin

Still Lazy After All These Years

• Members

Posted 15 August 2010 - 12:47 PM

So, let me get this straight: we still can't embed images larger than 600x600, because that's too much for some people's poor computers to handle, but embedding entire videos is a-ok? Can somebody please explain to me how this makes sense?

(Note: this is not a complaint about the image size limits; please don't derail the thread guys.)

#14 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 15 August 2010 - 01:46 PM

You don't actually have to load the entire video any time you go to a page that has an embedded video; I have a fairly bad internet connection and I'm still able to load pages just as fast as before. icon_shrug.gif It's only when you actually click the video that it begins to load.

#15 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 15 August 2010 - 06:32 PM

Eh, I don't know if I like it. Things were so much... cleaner without giant YouTube links in posts. icon_unsettled.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users