Photo

Announcing... the Official ZC 2.55 contest!

contest 2.55

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 coolgamer012345

coolgamer012345

🔸

• Members

Posted 13 November 2023 - 09:18 AM

Hello everyone!

Today I am announcing the Official ZC 2.55 contest!

What is this? Well, with the soon release of ZC 2.55 stable build, we (some members of the community, staff, and devs) thought it would be a good idea to fire it off with a contest to get people to:

1) try out the newest stable build, in case they were holding out for that to make a quest

2) show off what ZC 2.55 is able to accomplish(!)

3) catch any remaining bugs. 

Also, contests are fun :^)

Guidelines

This contest will be broken up into two brackets ( :omg:). There will be a scriptless quest bracket, and a scripted quest bracket. Contestants are only expected to submit to one of the brackets. The winner of each bracket will be included in future builds of ZC!

Everyone will have about 3 months, with the deadline being February 13th, 11:59 PM (EST). The contest starts now!

Feel free to use any tilesets or scripts you wish. We do ask that you include access to any scripts used (if it's a quest in the scripted bracket) as well as have the quest files be open. This is so that new ZC users (or any ZC user, really) who wants to figure out how something works can easily just open a quest to tinker around with how combos/enemies/items/scripts/etc are set up. If the scripts are on the forums, they do not necessarily need to be included in the downloads themselves as long as there is a list to the links somewhere (e.g. a text file readme with links to everything would be fine). Certainly feel free to add a disclaimer asking people to not use any other assets if you do not want them to (e.g. for sprites), as the goal of having the quests be open is for technical enrichment of ZC users, not necessarily letting everybody use any creative works for themselves.

Very important: Make sure you use the 2.55 build or one of the hotfixes (if available), and not the 3.0 builds. To summarize what is going on with the ZC builds, ZC 2.55 stable will be released shortly, but will receive bugfixes if anything comes up. 3.0 nightlies will still be released, however they will not be backwards compatible with 2.55, so do not use them for the contest (obviously, feel free to use them in your own time :^) ). Once you are using 2.55 Alpha 120 (or newer hotfix), you can just use the updater tool in the launcher to grab the latest 2.55 release. If you use the updater from an earlier release, the updater tool would instead grab a 3.0 build, so be careful about that. It may be wise to make a backup of your project periodically, depending on how you update your ZC folder, so as to not lose progress from accidentally upgrading to the wrong version. 

At the end of the period, we will collect submissions in a forum dropbox, similar to other contests. The specifics of voting and how long that will go for are TBD, however the tentative plan is a simple community vote for each bracket to decide the winners.  :eng101:

Summary

• The contest begins now and you have until February 13th to submit your quest!
  • There is a scripted bracket and a scriptless bracket. Pick one.
  • The winner of each bracket will be included in future versions of ZC.
  • Feel free to do group projects if you wish.
  • Make sure you have your quest file open, and if it's a scripted quest, make sure the scripts are accessible somehow.
  • (Probably) the winners will be decided by a basic "which's your favorite" for each bracket.

Ending Notes

Finally... we also ask that you try to make your entry not Zelda themed. This is not strict at all, but as these quests will be included with future ZC versions, it would be beneficial if they were not overtly Zelda for copyright reasons. It may be worthwhile to consider it a challenge to make a not-zelda quest utilizing the new ZC features (the item editor, enemy editor, and combo settings have all received an abundance of new features since 2.53. Experiment around!).

If you have any questions feel free to ask! Good luck everybody!  :superevil:

• Magi_Hero, Twilight Knight, Taco Chopper and 10 others like this

#2 connor.clark

connor.clark

Junior

• ZC Developers

Posted 14 November 2023 - 09:04 AM

Thanks for setting this up Coolgamer! Looking forward to seeing what everyone comes up with.

Quick note on inclusion of the winning quests in releases of ZC.

With 2.55 we're continuing to include the 1st - 5th classic quests in the release, but in 3.0 we will be adopting a policy to not include quests that share too much in common with the original game. Unfortunately that means all the older contest winners (which I believe, had as a requirement that the overworld be a carbon copy of the original) won't be included. If it weren't for that, we'd likely keep including them. But, these quests consist of an overworld indistinguishable from the original Zelda - and we think this is something that needs to be avoid moving forward (at least, for the base install). We'll be looking for other quests representative of ZC being more than just for Zelda-1 remakes. 

Given that context, I want to lay out the only caveat with "winners will be included in future releases of ZC". If the winning quest is a traditional official contest quest of "exact Zelda 1 overworld but custom dungeons", we'll include it with 2.55 (along with all the existing official contest winners), but _will not_ carry it over to 3.0. That is literally the only caveat, and I thought it was important to lay out the expectation and reasoning now rather than 3 months later. If creators of the original quests would like to discuss this further, please do so via DMing me or reaching out on the Dev Discord (let's not derail this thread).

• Twilight Knight, Mani Kanina and coolgamer012345 like this

#3 Hergiswi

Hergiswi

don't look for me, i'm just a story you've been told

• Members

Posted 14 November 2023 - 02:34 PM

hello, i have a question. if 3.0 isn't going to be backwards compatible with 2.55, how will it be included in future builds? is the staff and/or dev team going to work with winners to reconfigure the quest once 3.0 comes out so that it will work with new versions going forward?

thanks for hosting this. this is a really, really cool incentive to get people to start making some quests, especially if they've been putting the idea on the back burner. i realistically don't have time to get involved but i love seeing the community do stuff like this and get people involved

#4 coolgamer012345

coolgamer012345

🔸

• Members

Posted 14 November 2023 - 04:08 PM

hello, i have a question. if 3.0 isn't going to be backwards compatible with 2.55, how will it be included in future builds? is the staff and/or dev team going to work with winners to reconfigure the quest once 3.0 comes out so that it will work with new versions going forward?

thanks for hosting this. this is a really, really cool incentive to get people to start making some quests, especially if they've been putting the idea on the back burner. i realistically don't have time to get involved but i love seeing the community do stuff like this and get people involved

The ZC 2.55 player wouldn't be compatible with a quest created in a 3.0 nightly build, not the other way around. Basically just added the disclaimer so someone doesn't use a newer build of zc to make their quest and then it not work with the version of zc in the contest.

• Twilight Knight likes this

#5 Hergiswi

Hergiswi

don't look for me, i'm just a story you've been told

• Members

Posted 15 November 2023 - 09:07 AM

The ZC 2.55 player wouldn't be compatible with a quest created in a 3.0 nightly build, not the other way around. Basically just added the disclaimer so someone doesn't use a newer build of zc to make their quest and then it not work with the version of zc in the contest.

ohhhhhh okay gotcha, i totally misunderstood. thanks!

• coolgamer012345 likes this

#6 Shoelace

Shoelace

The Shaman of Sexy!

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 28 December 2023 - 02:28 AM

Omg, 2.55 is actually finished? Should I return then? Maybe, i have to look into this! Lol. Though, may not have time to do a quest, but we will see. :)
  • Twilight Knight, Russ, Evan20000 and 2 others like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: contest, 2.55

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users