• Members

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:25 AM

So who has played Minecraft?

#2 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:31 AM

I have. Seems quite a few people have too.

Minecraft is overrated if you ask me.

#3 octorok

octorok

Lord of the Octoroks

• Members

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:44 AM

I used to play it nonstop.. a bunch of my friends ran a server, and I added a few of my friends and we had a good little community going on. I had an incredibly detailed fully functional, fully detailed using original cartoon blueprints, and FULL SIZE Cat's Lair from Thundercats I was almost finished with... and then the guy running the server stopped running the server so all my hours and hours and days and days of work ARE FREAKING GONE.

So I really haven't picked it back up since.. anyways, Minecraft is a lot of fun. But only when you have other people to play with. I tell you what's REALLY exciting is a new game coming out called "Brick Force". Brick Force sticks with the fun building/crafting aspect of Minecraft but adds a first person shooter element with really awesome looking characters. Definitely a game I'll be playing to replace Minecraft in my opinion.

Here's a link to Brick Force:
Brick Force Official Homepage

And some screenshots:
Screenshot 1
Screenshot 2
Screenshot 3
Screenshot 4

#4 Linkus

Linkus

• Members

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:47 AM

I wouldn't say it is overrated, it just became overrated. See, I liked it back when it was 1.7.3, right before the Adventure update.

...Yes, the Adventure update, followed by the additional "gameplay" elements in the subsequent updates, made it overrated. Sure, the strongholds and mines looked great, but when it came to the additional elements like ravines, it went from a great creative tool with some danger elements to a game with terrible gameplay and horrid landmass and underground layout thanks to the lack of detail and landmarks - This is a land you will get lost in, as it feels so unnatural and bland at times that if you go too far you will suddenly forget where you are and not know how to get back.

Then, there's the argument of "it was supposed to be this kind of game!", but think about it - How many games in development were exactly the same as the one that was pitched? Not many. And there's a good reason too, as most games start off as an idea by one person, and as more people are added to the team, so are the number of opinions and viewpoints; what might have been a good idea by the original person might be considered flawed by other people, and will make points on how and why it is flawed. Minecraft trying to return to its original intention - That of which only Notch thought up - only got in the way of its progression, losing focus on what really made it a standout game.

Sorry to say it, but 1.3 needs to completely ditch the attempt to make it an adventure-esque game, and really focus on where it really shined - The creative element. A big new amount of new decorative blocks and props to flesh out the environment and structures would be much more appreciated than anything...

#5 Giggidy

Giggidy

We live for chaos so that we may die for ourselves.

• Banned

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:53 AM

QUOTE(Linkus @ Feb 29 2012, 10:47 AM) View Post
...Yes, the Adventure update, followed by the additional "gameplay" elements in the subsequent updates, made it overrated. Sure, the strongholds and mines looked great, but when it came to the additional elements like ravines, it went from a great creative tool with some danger elements to a game with terrible gameplay and horrid landmass and underground layout thanks to the lack of detail and landmarks - This is a land you will get lost in, as it feels so unnatural and bland at times that if you go too far you will suddenly forget where you are and not know how to get back.

Yes, because everything looking the same and easily getting lost was definitely a problem Minecraft did not have before new biomes, maps, and compasses were added. Think of how great everything was back when you couldn't tell swamps and forests apart!

Look, if all you want is a set of virtual legos, there's far, far better tools out there for this than Minecraft. Furthermore, focusing the game on the "creative aspect" as the serious problem that once you finish building that gigantic golden castle that took you 3 months of work to make there's literally nothing left to do with it, except maybe post pictures on the internet where it will be ignored in favor of much larger projects made by people with far more patience for this crap than you. At least the "adventure aspects" are taking advantage of the one thing Minecraft is slightly good at: The random world generation. Considering Minecraft is pretty much the first game *ever* do to this acceptably in 3D, I think exploring that is way more important than adding a bunch of new models and textures to put inside your pretend houses.

#6 )-( Marchland Malady )-(

)-( Marchland Malady )-(

)M( Still No Tombs In The Sims 4 )M(

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:53 AM

Let us not forget the HORRIBLE sound effects in Minecraft and the fact that the game is going COMMERCIAL and PROFESSIONAL. Money, money, money, money, MONEY icon_mad.gif! That is what the game is about these days, and when you bring GREED into the equation, things will go downhill. Don't ever forget that icon_aggravated.gif!

That is sad, octorok icon_frown.gif. Add to that the fact that people can destroy your creations, and you pretty much have a good reason to never play that game again.

#7 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

Sometimes lurking. Rarely posting.

• Members

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:31 PM

To Mojang, Minecraft was always about making money. ALL video games are made for money. That is why people make video games - to make money. I don't see how the fact that Mojang wants money for its work is ruining Minecraft.

#8 Ben

Ben

a very grumpy

• Members

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:39 PM

Actually, with Jeb running things, Minecraft might actually become worthwhile again, but not yet. 1.2 is coming out tomorrow and is looking promising as a first step to mitigate some of the damage Notch did to the game.

The Bukkit team also is now part of Mojang and will be working on an official modding API and easier server administration.

#9 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:59 PM

QUOTE(Pokemonmaster64 @ Feb 29 2012, 05:31 AM) View Post

Minecraft is overrated if you ask me.

This.

When I start up Minecraft, I get excited. Here's a literally endless world stretching out in front of me for me to explore. But then after five minutes the novelty wears off, and I realize how crappy the crafting is, how bad the combat is, how generally unpolished it feels, and how I'm kinda bored with it now.

I prefer Terraria, honestly. Yes, it's 2D, so you don't get quite the same epic feel of exploring an endless world. But it's a small price to pay for the game actually being fun. The combat works, the crafting is simply and practical, and all in all, it feels like an actual finished game, not a proof of concept demo.

#10 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 29 February 2012 - 02:03 PM

I love Minecraft. It's one of the best games I've ever played. But I quit for a while due to numerous creeper explosions and loosing Diamond items...

#11 Chakaa

Chakaa

Hench 4 Life

• Members

Posted 29 February 2012 - 03:22 PM

QUOTE(Nolornbon @ Feb 29 2012, 11:53 AM) View Post

Money, money, money, money, MONEY icon_mad.gif! That is what the game is about these days, and when you bring GREED into the equation, things will go downhill. Don't ever forget that icon_aggravated.gif!

No.

#12 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 29 February 2012 - 03:31 PM

I do enjoy Minecraft. I love the concept. There are quite a few reasons why I really, really don't see myself playing it too much though, unless these are improved.
  • Creepers blowing stuff up. I tend to play without monsters.
  • I don't find any confidence in my weapon range. I never quite know if I'll be able to punch / strike a monster before it can attack me without even using any kind of attack animation. I find that sort of chaos far too unpleasant.
  • Coal to make torches? Torches are sooo necessary, but so much coal!? What if there isn't any coal nearby? Mine? But it's too dark to see! Solution: !#?>$%!#J41kjlQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ and I just plain don't like that solution.
  • Far, far too easy to get lost. I don't have a compass yet. Can't find one in a random chest or dungeon, nope. Only points toward the spawn, and only if I'm holding it. (Which is fine, I guess.)
  • The map is weird. I still don't quite understand it. I would -LOVE- a real automap and a "big" world map. SOOOOO MUCH. Oh god you have no idea how much I would love a real map you can press "tab" for or whatever.
  • Not enough colors. Yeah, I said it. If you're going to be building a game made of legos, more colors and kinds of "pieces" would be nice. Either you're making buildings with insufficient furniture you have to fake, (Terraria solved that quite nicely for the most part, and early on in its development.) or you don't have the color that you're looking for.
  • Not enough to do. There are no bosses. What even happens when you get into the Nether or the Aether?

#13 Linkus

Linkus

• Members

Posted 29 February 2012 - 03:34 PM

QUOTE(Giggidy @ Feb 29 2012, 11:53 AM) View Post

Yes, because everything looking the same and easily getting lost was definitely a problem Minecraft did not have before new biomes, maps, and compasses were added. Think of how great everything was back when you couldn't tell swamps and forests apart!

Look, if all you want is a set of virtual legos, there's far, far better tools out there for this than Minecraft. Furthermore, focusing the game on the "creative aspect" as the serious problem that once you finish building that gigantic golden castle that took you 3 months of work to make there's literally nothing left to do with it, except maybe post pictures on the internet where it will be ignored in favor of much larger projects made by people with far more patience for this crap than you. At least the "adventure aspects" are taking advantage of the one thing Minecraft is slightly good at: The random world generation. Considering Minecraft is pretty much the first game *ever* do to this acceptably in 3D, I think exploring that is way more important than adding a bunch of new models and textures to put inside your pretend houses.

Well, considering the way things were done in pre-1.8 beta, there's a reason it was better - Scale. Biomes are very big compared to what we saw before, and land changes could be very abrupt. However, if they don't want to get us completely lost, Mojang needs to overcome the persistent draw distance problem. Yes, you can max it out, but as a result there's some serious lag and you can crash the app. Once that is fixed, and the distance is even further, you get a better idea of where you could be, and a hint of the far lands that await you. You could try using the map, but it doesn't help much either. Thanks to its resolution, it's only good enough to give you a general idea of where you are within that sector. ...That is, if you have the right map, and you haven't been there before.

Also, I wouldn't say there are better tools than Minecraft. For one, Terraria is based more on exploration and progress, and it's 2D. The Digital Designer program from Lego isn't very interactive either, as you cannot interact with your product in real-time. SDKs or Skyrim's CK somewhat suffer from the same problem, not to mention the technical complexity they carry. So what's better than Minecraft's ability to create things in-game without having a lot of skill?

#14 Chakaa

Chakaa

Hench 4 Life

• Members

Posted 29 February 2012 - 03:35 PM

QUOTE(ShadowTiger @ Feb 29 2012, 03:31 PM) View Post

Not enough to do. There are no bosses. What even happens when you get into the Nether or the Aether?

Something tells me you haven't updated to 1.0....

#15 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 29 February 2012 - 03:43 PM

QUOTE(FefeRawft @ Feb 29 2012, 03:35 PM) View Post

Something tells me you haven't updated to 1.0....

Pretty sure you can post more details than that. O.o

1.2 Preview, though looks like they mean it to be the full thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users