#16 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 04 January 2016 - 01:54 PM

How is a one-month event 'not timed'?

I think the meaning of that went over your head :P

It's not a 2 week/one month contest if it isn't possible for somebody to create something truly amazing. Banana Blood God, Freedom in Chains, and Eiyuu are proof of that. Time limits can motivate people to the extremes, to the point where they make the equivalent of a 4 month quest in 2 weeks. Hence, "It's not a timed contest if making something epic isn't possible", because epic things always can, and usually will, come out of timed contests here.

#17 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 04 January 2016 - 03:29 PM

Keep in mind the two week version of Eiyuu and Bananas were 5 and 4 dungeons respectively, with a BS overworld. You're talking full overworld, nine dungeons, two characters. Not saying it's outright impossible, but it's nearly there, and even if you pull it off, you won't have a good time doing it.

#18 Eppy

Eppy

Alisa~

• Members

Posted 04 January 2016 - 04:41 PM

Well, there's also Turtles Hate Candy, which was supposedly done in 2 weeks and fits the bill as a pretty good 9 dungeon quest that was actually very fun to play. So it IS possible if you work very long throughout the month.

#19 CyberGamer1539

CyberGamer1539

Lord of Cyberspace

• Members

Posted 04 January 2016 - 08:05 PM

Choosing "Terra" will allow you to play as a character from the game "Terraria", and the quest will have a bunch of scripts, like boss scripts, item scripts, and general scripts..

I don't even CARE if this is finished in the deadline! I NEED THIS!!!

So question. Moosh and I were considered entering this, but I wanted to get a bit of clarification on the rules. The premise of our quest is based on a video game... but a video game that was featured in an anime, rather than actual game you can play. So it's still technically based on a non-Zelda video game, but yeah. Would this be allowable?

Also would the video game in question be Sword Art Online?

Edited by CyberGamer1539, 04 January 2016 - 08:05 PM.

• Deedee likes this

#20 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 05 January 2016 - 10:36 PM

It feels kinda nice making a quest again, having not opened ZC in months. For this, I'm doing Zelda x Etrian Odyssey. So basically, there's one very big 'dungeon' instead of an overworld with dungeons dotting it.

Not too much progress - I'm not quite done the first floor. But I'm getting back in the groove of things, so things should get easier, ha ha.

• Shane likes this

#21 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 11 January 2016 - 02:23 AM

I'm a bit behind schedule because of med school interviews and my girlfriend coming up to visit, but the second main area of the quest is done now. One more main area and the smaller final area now. Plus 3-4 "dungeons", if they can be called that (which is Moosh's domain), bosses (also Moosh), and lots of scripting for attacks and menus and whatnot. We're getting there.
  • Aevin likes this

#22 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators

Posted 11 January 2016 - 11:01 AM

About halfway done with the first dungeon. This dungeon will be very unexpected.

#23 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 18 January 2016 - 04:22 PM

One week later. How goes it for everybody? I ran into a lot of stuff, and I'm behind where I want to be, but doing well still I think. Two of the three main overworld areas are done, as are two of the three "dungeons". I've got one more overworld and dungeon, plus a small-ish final area. I also scripted the primary scripted weapons (well, Moosh made one of them) and squared away a lot of mechanical stuff. Aside from the areas that remain, there's a bunch of cutscenes I need to make, three bosses Moosh needs to do, two minibosses I need to do, and editing of subscreen, dropsets, and that kind of stuff. Totally doable in the remaining, but it bothers me that I'm not as far ahead as I wanted to be.

#24 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators

Posted 18 January 2016 - 06:49 PM

I'm done with 4 screens of my first of 3 overworlds, and I've made about 10 screens of progress on the first dungeon!

...Yeah, screw it. Change of plans.

#25 Lejes

Lejes

Seeker of Runes

• Members

Posted 18 January 2016 - 08:28 PM

I'm spending too much time tinkering with game engine stuff and not enough designing actual levels. This feels like a recurring theme.

#26 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 18 January 2016 - 10:00 PM

I know that feeling. I tried to limit that to a great extent by building off Moosh's Freedom in Chains engine, but I still find myself spending too much time doing stuff like scripting new weapons or mechanics. And that has the added bonus of stapling Russ code to Moosh code, which is never good.

#27 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 19 January 2016 - 02:04 PM

I've decided to enter this contest with a quest thats hopefully fun to play. I have started my quest yesterday and as of now I'm about halfway done. It's a very short quest. Here's a screen of it:

Spoiler

My spriting skills are breathtaking. :D

Edited by Avataro, 19 January 2016 - 02:05 PM.

• Shane, Jared, Joelmacool and 1 other like this

#28 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 24 January 2016 - 12:11 AM

That looks awesome Avataro! I can't wait to try it out. Looks like I'm gonna have some competition here in the sidescroller department.

I finished up the third major "overworld" area and accompanying "dungeon", and scripted a miniboss for the area as well. I also finally sat down, scripted the rest of the items, put the subscreen together, and scripted swapping between characters. The game even remembers what items the characters had equipped before you swapped, which is really handy. Moosh has been hard at work on the final boss the past few days too, which is shaping up to be incredible. Most of what's left now is the final area, cutscenes, and a few earlier bosses, then a bunch of minor tweaks and testing and stuff. I'm feeling pretty good now about the pace I'm moving at.

#29 Lejes

Lejes

Seeker of Runes

• Members

Posted 24 January 2016 - 01:16 AM

That's good to hear, Russ. I can't imagine how ridiculous the final boss is going to be if Moosh is spending several days working on just the one enemy.

My situation is looking kind of dire. I have one stage done out of six. They aren't technically hard to build, but coming up with ideas is tough.

#30 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 24 January 2016 - 02:55 AM

That's good to hear, Russ. I can't imagine how ridiculous the final boss is going to be if Moosh is spending several days working on just the one enemy.

Don't get your hopes up too much. I've not been as efficient lately as I have in the past, been taking a really long time getting through enemy scripts, spend the majority of my time just staring blankly at Notepad++. At least one of those days was spent just on making some simple sprites and animations.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Expo, Winter, One Month, Quest, Contest, Crossover, Mashup

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users