Photo

Most frustrating parts of designing a Quest

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#46 Schwa

Schwa

Enjoy the Moment more. This strengthens Imagination.

• Members

Posted 24 June 2007 - 07:11 PM

I shouldn't have started this thread... -__-

QUOTE(ShadowTiger @ Jun 24 2007, 04:09 PM) View Post
ZC Devs aren't Gods. (Though I honestly can't help wondering how much C++ God knows. That'd be pretty awesome if whatever religious omniscience God has extended to programming languages too. icon_biggrin.gif )

I'm a Christian, I'll be honest. I believe in Heaven (and Hell for that matter). I believe I'm going to Heaven. I also believe that Heaven is perfect. So of course there's computer programming there. And I don't know the specifics, but I have a sneaking suspicion that God's got a special computer code language for us Christian game designers waiting up in Heaven for us. Sometimes I wonder what it's called... SpiritualBasic, maybe? Or G++? icon_xd.gif

#47 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 24 June 2007 - 07:12 PM

We've REALLY gone off topic here, though. icon_razz.gif

I'm almost to the point of starting a debate thread on this.

Edit: LOL at Schwa.

Edited by Ebola Zaire, 24 June 2007 - 07:12 PM.

#48 Linkus

Linkus

• Members

Posted 24 June 2007 - 07:16 PM

QUOTE(DarkDragon @ Jun 24 2007, 07:52 PM) View Post

Freedom, I'm still waiting for a constructive suggestion from you about what I should be doing differently. And I haven't made any promises as far as I can tell, only stated my support for publishing a stable release as soon as possible.

*gathers C++ knowledge from the ends of my brain*

Comments are a programmer's best friend. Perhaps if the devs can make more comments explaining how this/that works to the others, there would be less bugs.

Also, a list of int and float names with their uses should be added to the code, which eliminates double variables.

Finally, see if all boolean statements have both results covered.

You know, I feel like I'm lecturing a college professor on what he/she teaches... Hope you don't mind.

#49 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 24 June 2007 - 07:19 PM

Er .. NOW we're starting to get off topic. icon_blah.gif Let's try to get back on track, shall we?

#50 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 24 June 2007 - 07:25 PM

Right. I'll take the initiative here.

Sometimes, I forget to set an undercombo for several screens on end. Then, I have to go back to ZQuest, input them all, and then test the screens again to see if they work.

#51 Linkus

Linkus

• Members

Posted 24 June 2007 - 07:28 PM

QUOTE(ShadowTiger @ Jun 24 2007, 08:19 PM) View Post

Er .. NOW we're starting to get off topic. icon_blah.gif Let's try to get back on track, shall we?

Oops. Back on track now...

As of right now, the worst thing in ZC for me is an actual good screen layout. I've got the graphics, but layout is usually par for me. Hopefully, though, 8 overworld areas are left that need special graphics to be created. Afterwards, full overworld layout can be done, and next is interiors!

#52 Freedom

Freedom

Warrior

• Members

Posted 24 June 2007 - 07:39 PM

QUOTE(DarkDragon @ Jun 24 2007, 05:52 PM) View Post

Freedom, I'm still waiting for a constructive suggestion from you about what I should be doing differently. And I haven't made any promises as far as I can tell, only stated my support for publishing a stable release as soon as possible.

First of all, my comments weren't directed at YOU where they?
BUT you seem to have decided that I believe all the ills in Zelda Classic are related directly at you and my criticisms solely are directed at you.
OR are you doing this just to try and lesson the truths of what my posts have REALLY been saying?

IF YOU ARE STILL WAITING then you haven't listened to a single thing I've said, now have you?
Stable version first
Database fixed today.
Then builders can build again and players can play again.
If you can't make an impact in these two areas either by doing or by suggesting, then I guess, like me, you can only be sorely disappointed in todays Zelda Classic

Shaddowtiger.....
Comparing God creating people to Zelda Classic?
You're starting to really worry me son. icon_wink.gif

AND...
For those of you that say this has been off topic, NONSENSE
A crappy engine is the biggest frustration of all.

Edited by Freedom, 24 June 2007 - 07:40 PM.

#53 Animus01

Animus01

Spirit Warrior

• Members

Posted 24 June 2007 - 07:54 PM

Hmm... well, assuming I have all the tiles I want in my quest, I'd say the most frustrating part of designing a quest is... well... *thinks for a moment*

*One month Later*

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

*Later Still*

I'd say the most frustrating part of the quest is to get the dungeons entertaining. I feel that although I do try to make every dungeon room different, I feel as if it's not enough. I want to add some interesting stuff to the rooms, like traps and puzzles. Not just any kinds of traps and puzzles, but original kinds. Of course, I have graph paper to help me assemble my ideas for those. icon_wink.gif Now I just want to make sure they work they way I want them to.

#54 DarkDragon

DarkDragon

Junior

• Members

Posted 24 June 2007 - 09:33 PM

QUOTE(Freedom @ Jun 24 2007, 07:39 PM) View Post

First of all, my comments weren't directed at YOU where they?
BUT you seem to have decided that I believe all the ills in Zelda Classic are related directly at you and my criticisms solely are directed at you.
OR are you doing this just to try and lesson the truths of what my posts have REALLY been saying?

IF YOU ARE STILL WAITING then you haven't listened to a single thing I've said, now have you?
Stable version first
Database fixed today.
Then builders can build again and players can play again.
If you can't make an impact in these two areas either by doing or by suggesting, then I guess, like me, you can only be sorely disappointed in todays Zelda Classic
Shaddowtiger.....
Comparing God creating people to Zelda Classic?
You're starting to really worry me son. icon_wink.gif

AND...
For those of you that say this has been off topic, NONSENSE
A crappy engine is the biggest frustration of all.

Well if you're trying to get someone else official's attention, this unofficial board is probably not the best venue. You say a substantial number of users are deeply dissatisfied with current development; unfortunately nothing is going to change as long as you suffer in silence. Write up something concrete and realistic describing what you want changed ("release 2.50 next week" is neither; "stop developing features X, Y, and Z" is), have it endorsed by the quest authors who feel as you do, and post it at AGN or PM to the developers.

#55 Freedom

Freedom

Warrior

• Members

Posted 24 June 2007 - 10:13 PM

In other words, STFU, right?
Because they already know and it hasn't changed anything.

EDIT,
here ya go
http://www.armageddo...638#post1127638

Edited by Freedom, 24 June 2007 - 10:32 PM.

#56 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 25 June 2007 - 11:52 AM

Just for Closure's sake, do read The conclusion to this discussion at PureZC. This topic will now be free of the previous discussion, and will go back on track, if possible. Thanks.

(In other words, just take it to AGN. Read what I just posted to. Not a problem.)

#57 Schwa

Schwa

• Members

Posted 25 June 2007 - 08:07 PM

Thank you very, very much, ShadowTiger. icon_smile.gif *geeves heem eh kookeh wiff toast icon_toast.gif*

I just thought of something very frustrating that occasionally happens to me, and just did recently. It's when you design a big dungeon all at once, go into the game to test it, and find out you forgot to link your overworld entrance with the dungeon entrance and back, so the warp takes you to an empty screen. And as if that weren't bad enough, you can't just Lv4 Cheat your way through to the next screen like you can if you forgot a flag for a screen, for instance... You have no choice but to go back into the editor, link the screens, enter the game, and play your way back to that part before you can test your dungeon. icon_augh.gif

I think if a designer experiences this mishap enough times, s/he'll learn from his/her mistake eventually. We can only hope. icon_razz.gif

#58 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 25 June 2007 - 09:15 PM

You know what's REALLY frustrating? Making a "perfect dungeon" and then having some young punk break it wide open and get to the boss before they get the dungeon item. icon_razz.gif

#59 Schwa

Schwa

• Members

Posted 30 June 2007 - 07:41 AM

Uncalled for, pal. *noogies Zaire*

Inside joke... icon_sweat.gif

#60 DarkFlameWolf

DarkFlameWolf

Murana Wolford

• Members

Posted 30 June 2007 - 10:24 AM

Completing a masterpiece of a quest and realizing it doesn't work the way you want it to based on a inherent ZC flaw/bug you can't do a single thing about. Its frustrating not being able to have control over bugs inherent in ZC.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users