unusually high CPU and GPU temperatures

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Old-Skool

Old-Skool

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 15 December 2013 - 01:15 PM

Lately I have been plagued with shutdowns and crashes which point to a high internal temperature as the cause. Speedfan reports that the CPU and GPU are ranging around 46 to 55 degrees celsius (!), depending on what is running and on screen. Nothing graphically intensive is on screen when shutdowns occur, though. I've also turned off ventilation to my room, as the vent is under the desk. This apparently however caused nothing, and it seems to happen mainly while the computer is idle and sometimes even sleeping.

HP Pavillion p2-1124 PC w/AMD Dual-Core Processor E-300

AMD Radeon HD 6310

Fan - avg 995-1006 RPM

It's difficult to get inside and blast around, so I've mainly been shooting through the ventilation. As far as I can tell, there's nothing obstructing the fan on either side.

Edited by King Aquamentus, 15 December 2013 - 01:18 PM.

#2 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 15 December 2013 - 01:40 PM

Dust can definitely be a factor. It wouldn't hurt to completely disconnect the computer, open the cover, and really dust it out. It's very helpful.

Also have to make sure that all of the fans are working. This includes all case fans and GPU / CPU fans. You may find a few in surprising places. Check everywhere with the cover off, while it's running, so you can see motion and feel for air flow.

Yes, air flow. Air does actually have to flow through a computer in the least obfuscated direction as possible; a straight line is preferable. Tangled wires, a poorly placed PCI card, that stupid tube that leads directly from the CPU fan to the side of the case, and of course awkward placement within a computer cabinet can all disrupt air flow.

These are all basic things to look for. If none of these improve CPU/GPU temperatures, then more advanced diagnostics might be required.
  • Ventus likes this

#3 Ben

Ben

a very grumpy

• Members

Posted 15 December 2013 - 03:02 PM

55 is a little high for a CPU, but not so bad. A GPU can generally get to the mid 70s before you need to worry about it too much. I'd look at running a RAM test or possibly investigating the power supply.

#4 Old-Skool

Old-Skool

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 15 December 2013 - 03:13 PM

It also failed a test in which I put it to sleep completely, and immediately woke it up again. Unfortunately due to the blue screen I couldn't see any Speedfan specifics, and barely had a chance to see the blue screen at all. I can only assume it too had to do with heat (a previous crash reported as much and I have been hearing indicative beeps and whistles.)

How much of a PC runs in sleep mode? I have gone to bed with it in sleep mode and awoke to find it shut down.

#5 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 15 December 2013 - 03:22 PM

You can tell windows not to restart when encountering a blue screen. google it, it's pretty straight forward setting configuration.

#6 Old-Skool

Old-Skool

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 15 December 2013 - 08:03 PM

<p>Post cleaning CPU and GPU continue to hover around 46c. Fan speed seems the same. It is the only fan which Speedfan seems to recognize and it sits at the back of the unit near the heat sink. Gave the whole inside a good blast from top to bottom though the gpu faces away from the opening and can only be blasted from the side.<br />
<br />
Continues to hover around 54 - 53c for both CPU and GPU with Terraria running. If I have to open the machine up again I'd like to do so with some advisory as not to damage components (I didn't really find much issue with the cables, but if I have to move stuff around...)</p> 58 with Just Cause 2

Performing another sleep test. Failed again. Blue screen.

Edited by King Aquamentus, 15 December 2013 - 08:43 PM.

#7 Valientlink

Valientlink

~V@LîΣÑTLîÑK~

• Members

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:27 AM

Look in the processeses for a program called civsc.exe, this can show up out of nowhere and cause slowdown. It will appear every time you restart too, so always make sure to shut it down (if it's there.)

ACS.exe can do similar things.

Edit: Don't think I properly read the topic lol, but fun facts either way.

Edited by Brian, 16 December 2013 - 12:28 AM.

#8 Old-Skool

Old-Skool

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 16 December 2013 - 10:34 AM

I'll check that out.       RAM test found no problems, can't find any physical issues with the power supply.    Also didn't see civsc or ACS

I do have another suspicion. As of late, it seems I haven't heard the fan change speeds or ramp up. It could be a problem with the fan line to the motherboard. I'll have to open it again and look, but I'm hesitant to open it while live or poke around and touch things lest they be damaged by a static shock or oils or whatever.) 

If the fan is supposed to speed up in response to waking up, is it possible the machine is bluescreening because waking up gets it too hot? 

Edited by King Aquamentus, 16 December 2013 - 01:07 PM.

#9 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:03 PM

Dunno, it is a possibility though. If you can configure your computer to not reboot when displaying a Bluescreen then could you take a picture of it and post it here, or type up the faulting module and associated error code? Also this forum software expects BBCODE and not HTML.

Edited by franpa, 16 December 2013 - 08:06 PM.

#10 Old-Skool

Old-Skool

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:06 PM

I didn't put that in. The forum which I have been familiar with for 7 years vomited that up while I was

editing a post. :/

UPDATE: I've successfully configured Speedfan to control fan speed. I've definitely not heard this noise in awhile, but I'm hearing it now and temperatures are coming down. Still doesn't answer why the machine can't do it. :/ Or if there will be another bluescreen.

Fran: Sorry I don't think I've got anything to take a picture with. 

Edited by King Aquamentus, 16 December 2013 - 09:20 PM.

#11 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:13 PM

Dunno, maybe the fan controller simply died. My friends video card doesn't do it either (Geforce 285) and he has to manually set the fan speed via software before doing any games or else the video card will crash (Causing artifacts and eventually either a bluescreen or a TDR). I thankfully haven't had the joy of experiencing a fan insisting on not speeding up when it should.

My CPU and Video Card fans always clock up when under load and neither fail because of heat issues, in fact I've configured my CPU fan to never downclock which means it always operates at full speed... because it can't be heard even when at full speed so why the heck not do that? (I even replaced it with an aftermarket heatsink/fan and still can't hear the fans lol)

#12 Old-Skool

Old-Skool

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:31 PM

My fan gets pretty loud at full speed. It's difficult to determine what temperatures I'm aiming for for the different components too. ( CPU, GPU, Core, Temp1, Temp2...)    So far, everything I have set causes automatic mode to creep up as high as it can. Right now the highest value is GPU at 45 Celsius...     *isn't really up and up on what temperatures are good and aimable for what components so it'll just ramp up when things do get too hot, and calm down when no big deal.)

#13 Omega

Omega

Yes

• Members

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:31 AM

You could also get one of those small fans that go on the computer case and run it through the motherboard. Also if you're monitoring the temps yourself you should disable auto restart on system failure. Mainly because the temp might not be high enough to hurt your computer, but it still gets shut down by auto restart on system failure.

Edited by Franky, 17 December 2013 - 09:32 AM.

#14 Old-Skool

Old-Skool

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:42 PM

The Bluescreen causes just the single restart, not like a loop of them. 

Curiously, Speedfan stores my settings but doesn't seem to be altering the fan speed now.

EDIT: NVM on that. 

Edited by King Aquamentus, 17 December 2013 - 09:54 PM.

#15 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:50 PM

Have you tried running a Malware scan with Malwarebytes? and also try running your computer with only the necessary hardware any extra hardware that is not needed to run unhook it and see if t does anything to it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users