Zelda Classic is Open Source

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#31 vaualbus

vaualbus

Junior

• Members

Posted 27 January 2016 - 10:36 AM

Just an idea why for later zc 3.xx, 4.xx we get that written in C#. Now day that .net become open source, you could run it on linux, max, and windows.

Of course it would required to rewrite the engine, but If I get it right is something that anyway you want to do.

#32 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• Members

Posted 27 January 2016 - 02:04 PM

Do you think you could commit that as a separate base?

Yeah, that'll get done sooner or later. It'd be nice to get the issues with the current version sorted out before introducing more.

Also, you really should update the makefile, and project files.

Nah, I kinda like it better when things just plain don't work. :P

You might also want to start actually documenting your AngelScript changes, so that we know what components absolutely rely on AngelScript, and also, if those changes make it impossible to use ZScript to modify things.

Link, enemies, weapons, and items all use AngelScript. How much documentation do you want for a transient state?
None of it should make any difference to ZScript.

Just an idea why for later zc 3.xx, 4.xx we get that written in C#. Now day that .net become open source, you could run it on linux, max, and windows.

I don't see any reason to do that. It's a lot more work with no apparent benefit. And while it may be doable on all current platforms, it would likely preclude, say, a 3DS port in the future.
  • Anthus likes this

#33 vaualbus

vaualbus

Junior

• Members

Posted 27 January 2016 - 04:04 PM

By the way how is ended with the password protected quest?

#34 )-( Marchland Malady )-(

)-( Marchland Malady )-(

)M( Still No Tombs In The Sims 4 )M(

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 27 January 2016 - 04:12 PM

Have any of you ever heard of GZDoom? There was a person that attempted to make a first-person game for Zelda Classic one time, but it was never finished. However, with the usage of the code from GZDoom, Zelda Classic could finally enter the realm of 3D.

Seeing Zelda Classic being released as an open-source program is one of the most defining moments in the program's history that should be cherished without cease.

#35 Gleeok

Gleeok

It's dangerous to dough alone, bake this.

• Members

Posted 27 January 2016 - 07:10 PM

We could also use some help in getting the main page set up if anyone is interested. For examplel a readme, some screenshots, useful links, whatever.

Maybe we could use the screenshot of the year winners or something? Just a thought.
  • Anthus likes this

#36 grayswandir

grayswandir

semi-genius

• Members

Posted 27 January 2016 - 07:15 PM

So, aside from the makefile being broken in general, I don't think the code on the repo can be built in linux.

LIBDIR = -L./libs/linux `pkg-config --libs gtk+-3.0`

Looking in libs, there's ... mingw, win32, and win32dbg.

It'd be nice if that could be added. I managed to find the proper old version of allegro after digging around for a bit, but I really don't want to have to go find every single library that's needed, especially since someone else should have them all collated somewhere.

#37 Gleeok

Gleeok

• Members

Posted 27 January 2016 - 07:24 PM

So, aside from the makefile being broken in general, I don't think the code on the repo can be built in linux.

LIBDIR = -L./libs/linux `pkg-config --libs gtk+-3.0`
Looking in libs, there's ... mingw, win32, and win32dbg.

It'd be nice if that could be added. I managed to find the proper old version of allegro after digging around for a bit, but I really don't want to have to go find every single library that's needed, especially since someone else should have them all collated somewhere.

Saffith handles the linux stuff, but there I believe the makefile maybe just wasn't changed after gtk was removed. Might be wrong about that, but gtk shouldn't be necessary anymore.

The allegro source is in the 'allegro' folder. Look in allegro/fixed for the complete package. (Windows has pre-built binaries for alleg42)

Yes, 'build instructions' are on the agenda, but we can only do so much stuff at a time.

#38 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 28 January 2016 - 01:09 AM

This is really good news for ZC! By opening the floodgates to contributors, we should see a lot more activity when it comes to improving the application we all know and love. At the same time, this will place a lot of pressure on the admins of the project to keep things organized. I'm excited to see how this turns out. :D

#39 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 28 January 2016 - 01:55 AM

Oh, this is freaking amazing. I don't know nearly enough about programming to do anything with it, but I'm sure someone will end up making a fork that supports all the little extras I want to add, and I'd love to contribute ideas, if anyone wants them.

#40 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• Members

Posted 28 January 2016 - 04:19 PM

I've updated the makefile. You'll probably still have to fiddle with the compile and link options a bit, though. Also, I guess the Sequence stuff got duplicated at some point? You may have to work around that, but it's not a big deal. I'll try and sort it out soon, in any case.

By the way how is ended with the password protected quest?

They're not going anywhere. Everything is as it was.
  • grayswandir likes this

#41 grayswandir

grayswandir

semi-genius

• Members

Posted 28 January 2016 - 04:45 PM

Thanks for the quick turnaround. I'll let you know how it goes. :)

#42 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 29 January 2016 - 05:08 AM

Yeah, that'll get done sooner or later. It'd be nice to get the issues with the current version sorted out before introducing more.

TBH, if you dump it as open-source, people will potentially fix many issues, and introduce others. You can't really support the open-source thing at all, as an individual. it's unrealistic, but it might lead to self-improvement (?). We can hope.

Nah, I kinda like it better when things just plain don't work. :P

Then you'd just adore my daily worklife. :D

Nothing ever seems to work, the first time round.

Really though, the reason I brought that up, is that apparently it's not just my inability to generate a makefile for everything that is at faul; and without being able to compile, it;s impossible to test anything.

Link, enemies, weapons, and items all use AngelScript. How much documentation do you want for a transient state?
None of it should make any difference to ZScript.

How much? I'd be happy with a plain text file that lists what you have ported over, what you are in the middle of porting, what is planned/incomplete/untouched. That helps greatly, especially for contribs.

I don't see any reason to do that. It's a lot more work with no apparent benefit. And while it may be doable on all current platforms, it would likely preclude, say, a 3DS port in the future.

I have to concur. Why add in YAL? No net benefit, and lots of extra work for everyone involved.

Saffith, what is the best way to pass a ZScript array into an internal Allegro function? Should I be using getArray(), making a vector with it, just passing it from scdi[], or something else?

In the fork that I made, see Polygon.cpp for the reason I'm asking.

---

Maybe I'll avoid being lazy and fix the Ganon battle to repair the NES inconsistency. 'Maybe' here, meaning I might try, and then delegate. {{shudders}}

I;ve thought about making a ghosted NES Ganon in the past though. It really is a lot of work, as he has an insanely complex pattern.

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 29 January 2016 - 05:08 AM.

#43 Gleeok

Gleeok

• Members

Posted 30 January 2016 - 07:53 PM

For all who were complaining about building on windows It should be a simple two-step process now:

Set the working directory via properties->debugging->directories (For me this is "..\..\output\common\"), then copy the alleg42.dll, zcsoundlib.dll, and all the other data files and so forth that zc likes to that location. (Hint: 2.52 is a good place to get these files)

#44 Wolfman2000

Wolfman2000

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 01 February 2016 - 04:57 PM

Hmm...any thoughts on having cmake integration or some other project generator? It may make things easier for the future.

I've had some experience porting a big project to use cmake, so I can be of some help here.

Edited by Wolfman2000, 01 February 2016 - 04:59 PM.

#45 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 01 February 2016 - 05:50 PM

What kind of programming wizardry would be required to revamp the palette structure? Not that I'm expecting anyone to do this today or anything, but I'm sure that's something a lot of people would love. If someone made a fork version with a palette more akin to game maker, or really, any other 2D image manipulator, it could do great things for future quests. You could still make csets, and palettes, but you would not be limited to 4, or 8 bit color options per tile, etc. At least in my perfect, crack filled, world.

• LikeLike on fire likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users