Automatic step forward in NES dungeon entrance

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 chpicker

chpicker

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 08 June 2024 - 03:22 PM

When creating an NES style dungeon, Link automatically takes a step forward when he enters the dungeon. Well, normally he does.

I created a new dungeon, setting the arrival point to the bottom center of the entrance screen like always. When testing, the dungeon entrance opens up and...nothing. Link isn't there, and I can't do anything beyond opening the subscreen. Moving the arrival point into the room, I discovered the problem: Link is taking an automatic step down instead of up when he arrives in the dungeon. So, when the arrival point is in the normal place, Link steps down, out of bounds of the screen, and can't act anymore.

Does anyone know how this automatic step is controlled? How does the game determine which direction Link moves? How do I tell it to step up instead of down?

#2 Emily

Emily

Scripter / Dev

• ZC Developers
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 08 June 2024 - 06:03 PM

When creating an NES style dungeon, Link automatically takes a step forward when he enters the dungeon. Well, normally he does.

I created a new dungeon, setting the arrival point to the bottom center of the entrance screen like always. When testing, the dungeon entrance opens up and...nothing. Link isn't there, and I can't do anything beyond opening the subscreen. Moving the arrival point into the room, I discovered the problem: Link is taking an automatic step down instead of up when he arrives in the dungeon. So, when the arrival point is in the normal place, Link steps down, out of bounds of the screen, and can't act anymore.

Does anyone know how this automatic step is controlled? How does the game determine which direction Link moves? How do I tell it to step up instead of down?

Were you placing the arrival point against the edge of the screen, or slightly above? I think it's supposed to go on the edge exactly.

#3 chpicker

chpicker

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 08 June 2024 - 11:06 PM

Were you placing the arrival point against the edge of the screen, or slightly above? I think it's supposed to go on the edge exactly.

Exactly on the edge. Same place I put it in the other dungeon that works properly. The arrival point coordinates are 120, 160.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users