• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

#16 Shane

Shane

🩶

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 13 May 2015 - 12:33 PM

the NES had a restriction to how many palettes you could use per quest.

Now, read my words carefully:

In theory, wouldn't using an existing dungeon palette within the quest not break the limitations? I know some stuff with NES limitations, but I'm not sure how this works considering I'm seeing a loophole here in this explanation. And I wasn't disrespecting your decisions at all, so please try to understand that. More power to you if you want an overworld palette dungeon. It looks weird to me and I can admit this if I want to. Lying about it would be genuine disrespect. Please don't stress the word respect when no one here is being disrespectful.

#17 Nightmare

Nightmare

Original ZC Tester

• Members

Posted 13 May 2015 - 12:45 PM

It's OK @Shane, you're not insulting me.

I think I commented on this the post before with an edit (about how ZC 1.x only had up to Palette 00F I believe).  I created a custom palette for Level 2 (overwrote the old Level 2), created one for Level 10, and I think only had 2 or 3 left (if ZC 1.x only supported up to 00C it definitely wouldn't have worked).  So from a technical standpoint, it might've been impossible, so the OW dungeon palette was really my only choice.  Once again, this palette system was abandoned in 2.10 (I found this out when I got the Green Ninja tileset for New Quest "3":  Boy I was blown away!)

Even if I change one of the dungeons so to say if enough people comment on it, one is still staying the Overworld Palette for posterity purposes (probably Mini-Dungeon 2 as it has more tiles around)

Just so everyone knows, the original Lv. 2 palette from the NES has been re-added to New DLC as Palette 00D and is being used for Level 11 now.  Classic heads will be happy about that.

Palette 00E is entirely new and is being used for DLC Level 1.

-James

#18 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 13 May 2015 - 12:48 PM

But just some file size information from previous versions of New Quest (once again, lost 1999 due to my HD crashing), but here is some of the information:

New Quest 2004 (Level 11 expansion):  295 KB  (could fit on an NES with some trouble)

New Quest 2013 (2.50 Upgrade, Custom Enemies):  350 KB (could fit too, but would take a max size cart, in other words, mucho dinero)

New Quest DLC:  533 KB (wouldn't make it, I'd arguably have to cut some of the music out, and future DLC would "technically" be impossible)

My 5th Quest Candidate:  315 KB (would also fit the max size NES cart if Zelda had a re-release)

-James

This isn't entirely accurate, though. 1st.qst is a 372 KB file, but the original 1st quest couldn't have been more than 128 KB, considering it only took up half of the available data on the 256 KB cart that Z1 was released on. You have to remember that .qst files are not just NES roms, they're programmed in a different  language, and therefore have different sizes. Just saying.

#19 Nightmare

Nightmare

Original ZC Tester

• Members

Posted 13 May 2015 - 12:56 PM

This isn't entirely accurate, though. 1st.qst is a 372 KB file, but the original 1st quest couldn't have been more than 128 KB, considering it only took up half of the available data on the 256 KB cart that Z1 was released on. You have to remember that .qst files are not just NES roms, they're programmed in a different  language, and therefore have different sizes. Just saying.

I'm not sure on the size re-release of Zelda 1 (the gray cart), so don't hold this against me.  But yes, the original LoZ cart had was 256 KB.  I think my point is that if you were to have a 3rd Quest of ANY kind (whether it's New Quest, 5th Quest, AlphaDawg's 3rd, or anything), you'd need to have a program expansion and a 512 KB cartridge for one.  While we look at it today and laugh, if you're talking 1994 terms (when the NES was discontinued), a 512 KB NES cartridge would cost about $80 US 1994.  In today's world that would be somewhere I guess around $160 US 2015, if someone would calculate I'd appreciate it.  So not only could it have been impossible.  I don't think anyone's paying that much for a game if they have any smarts around them!

Just for the record, this is why a lot of game devs (including myself now) won't develop for Nintendo since the PlayStation 1 because of this and their high licensing cost.  Don't get me wrong, I love Nintendo and their old systems, but their new systems just aren't up to stuff and I've personally converted to being a PS3 person this generation.  Kinda sad, but that's how life works.  If Nintendo changed their ways on space and reduced their licensing fees I'd go to them in a heartbeat to them:  My heart is still with them as a player.

EDIT:  Also, all things aside, Nintendo has some of the best compression methods in-house that they are keeping a secret and they could probably reduce all our filesizes by at least 10 times of what they currently are.  This also causes other problems, but that's more for a game dev forum.

P.S.  If you are not interested in tech talk and a history lesson, just download the Alpha and leave feedback, FYI

-James

Edited by Nightmare, 13 May 2015 - 01:00 PM.

#20 LikeLike on fire

LikeLike on fire

vaugly coherent

• Members

Posted 13 May 2015 - 01:20 PM

you won't just go and make it like if it were on even lower teck?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users