Help With RPG-Style Scripts

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 12 November 2015 - 02:22 PM

I just wanted to pop in and mention I've gotten this working using the default collision detection by giving each weapon on screen a unique damage value as its id, and then looking up its actual damage in a table.

If you'd like to loan out that code (so I don't have to write it myself by muddling through everything) I'd appreciate it.

#17 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 12 November 2015 - 08:53 PM

As a note, I also have a number of RPG scripts, either given to me by ZoriaRPG or ones I've coded, myself (mostly with lots of help), or altered versions of scripts already available, including random damage for weapons (for example, a sword might do 1-4 HP damage, the next level might do 2-8, and the next 3-12, etc. P.S. @grayswandir: Brilliant! I hadn't thought of doing that, at all. That'll make setting up the random damage script for enemies a breeze.) random stat table, along with stat bonuses that enhance various effects (STR for melee damage, INT for magic damage, etc), and a few others (my levelling system is still a bit buggy, so not including that)

Actually, this project is alarmingly similar to the one I'm working on  (not trying to imply anything, other than us having had similar thoughts), although, I'm using Koten (with a slightly altered palette) as a base. And I just combined the two projects I was working on, so, beyond the generic replacements for all the Zelda tiles, I'm also adding in some instrument-based weapon tiles and some 8-bit modern-day tiles for the opening segment of my quest.

• ywkls likes this

#18 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 13 November 2015 - 12:36 AM

I favour using lists as well. One thing that Ibshall be needing to do for RPG.zh before Beta phase, is condensing all the for loops that make checks, into a minimal number, that make multiple checks.

@ywkls: I have no idea how my code would be confusing. Most of it reads like normal English syntax, because of the names and constants that I use. If you mean my use of statements, where you don't think any are needed, really, it's just better to add the verification passes. So many conditions can arise, unexpectedly, that make that ideal.

Download the last public build in my signature, and read through what you may. It's broken into segregated files, each for its own engine aspect, but it's pretty big--and the present version is larger still. Most of what you mentioned is in there, except for that enemy and player stats buffer. I'm not sure why you need a buffer like that, but what I do is to randomly assign enemy HP based off of initial HD.

That adds a bit of variety into the game, IMO, but it's clearly optional.

I do need to include the generic ghost enemy set-up scripts, but that can wait for a1.0. One important thing for enemies, to me, is setting up all ten script type defs. There are already utilities for that, but many of my later engine components use lists and values that the game designer must assign, including CR (enemy difficulty relative to player level), XP, adjustments, and so forth.

I'd like to condense those all down, at some point. It's critical when designing this sort of thing in ZC, to plan ahead for ZScript quirks, and limitations.

I should be back home next week, so we can all hop on Skype and share secrets. That includes Binx, and grayswandir, if they're interested.

I'll also note that I don't mind changing how things work, if a better method is available, neither do I mind adding more user options. I rather prefer having many of those.

P.S. My method of character switching is far more involved, and it does things such as tracking independent equipment per PC. It uses CopyTile for sprite switching, and I will probably go with a character proxy sprite in general, eventually.

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 13 November 2015 - 12:36 AM.

#19 grayswandir

grayswandir

semi-genius

• Members

Posted 13 November 2015 - 02:27 PM

If you'd like to loan out that code (so I don't have to write it myself by muddling through everything) I'd appreciate it.

It's not especially, er, portable? At least, I wasn't really focusing on that.

I'm currently in the process of rewriting it to make it legible (with comments and everything!). Once I have it working again I'll show it to you, if you want. You might be able to lift out the relevant sections.

I should be back home next week, so we can all hop on Skype and share secrets. That includes Binx, and grayswandir, if they're interested.

Oh, that sounds interesting. I glanced over your rpg stuff earlier (I'm in the credits, heh), but it was kinda hard to tell what exactly was going on.

#20 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 13 November 2015 - 11:35 PM

It's not especially, er, portable? At least, I wasn't really focusing on that.
I'm currently in the process of rewriting it to make it legible (with comments and everything!). Once I have it working again I'll show it to you, if you want. You might be able to lift out the relevant sections.

Oh, that sounds interesting. I glanced over your rpg stuff earlier (I'm in the credits, heh), but it was kinda hard to tell what exactly was going on.

You are indeed. :D

Feel free to add me on your Skype account. I won't see the invitation for two, or three days, but that way it'll be pending.

I can discus making your weapon handling modular, or integrating it, if you desire.

#21 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 17 November 2015 - 01:42 AM

I'm back now. I need Skype contact details for @ywkls and @grayswandir.

@Binx is already on the list, and invited..

#22 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 17 November 2015 - 09:42 AM

I'm back now. I need Skype contact details for @ywkls and @grayswandir.

@Binx is already on the list, and invited..

I already sent you mine in a PM a while back, but I can send them to you again if you like. (I've already added you to my Skype contacts and even sent a few messages. Since you never replied, I'm assuring you either didn't see them or realize that they were from me.)  Both were regarding script issues with my most recently released quest, which have been mostly resolved.

#23 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 17 November 2015 - 09:46 AM

I already sent you mine in a PM a while back, but I can send them to you again if you like. (I've already added you to my Skype contacts and even sent a few messages. Since you never replied, I'm assuring you either didn't see them or realize that they were from me.)  Both were regarding script issues with my most recently released quest, which have been mostly resolved.

Right, I forgot entirely, as you are almost never signed in...  :shrug:   I added you to the conversation, so you may need to log in, and accept it.

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 17 November 2015 - 09:47 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users