• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Peteo

Peteo

Back in Business!

• Members

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:17 PM

Hello all you amazing scripters!

I want to have NPCs in my quest that only talk when you stand next to them and press A to activate the conversation. I'm pretty sure this could be done with that signpost script which makes a string appear, but that wouldn't work in my quest because with the string there has to be some graphics involved (portraits and a speech bubble) and only way to add those would be to warp to an identical looking screen with the portrait and bubble graphics.

So I need a script that warps you to a screen of my choice when you press A next to a FFC. I'm pretty sure it is easy to create such a script but I just can't figure out this scripting stuff even if my life depended on it. icon_mad.gif

Thank you in advance!

#2 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

Sometimes lurking. Rarely posting.

• Members

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:34 PM

Combining 2.1 methods and scripting? How funny.

You know, I bet I could make an edited NPC script that displays portraits and bubble graphics (what are those) so you only need the one screen.

So... what are bubble graphics?

#3 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:49 PM

I hope these are bubble speech graphics or some-such. Er .. assuming you can put a frame around the portraits as well. Everyone loves frames.

#4 Peteo

Peteo

Back in Business!

• Members

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:50 PM

QUOTE(MoscowModder @ Feb 23 2013, 08:34 PM) View Post

Combining 2.1 methods and scripting? How funny.

You know, I bet I could make an edited NPC script that displays portraits and bubble graphics (what are those) so you only need the one screen.

So... what are bubble graphics?

Speech bubble, just some graphics to act as a background for the the message string. Would be cool if these could be displayed without the need to warp but I don't see how... However, you're the scripter not me so maybe it is possible. I'm eagerly waiting. icon_biggrin.gif

Edited by Peteo, 23 February 2013 - 01:50 PM.

#5 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:58 PM

Oh. I believe those are already possible without scripting. They're actually tied to the string itself in the string editor! icon_biggrin.gif When editing the string itself in the string editor, there are two tabs at the top of the string editor pane. One of them, you're already in, and the other, near the bottom of that other tab/pane, is a 2x2 box. That's where you select the 2x2 frame that will encoat the string.

#6 Peteo

Peteo

Back in Business!

• Members

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:18 PM

QUOTE(ShadowTiger @ Feb 23 2013, 08:58 PM) View Post

Oh. I believe those are already possible without scripting. They're actually tied to the string itself in the string editor! icon_biggrin.gif When editing the string itself in the string editor, there are two tabs at the top of the string editor pane. One of them, you're already in, and the other, near the bottom of that other tab/pane, is a 2x2 box. That's where you select the 2x2 frame that will encoat the string.

Ah, under the "Attributes", I see that. But you still can't make a speech bubble with it, you know with the little pointy thingy coming out of the box like in Sabotage Dragoon. Also, there are the portraits graphics I need for the screen.

Of the little I understand of scripting, this "press A to warp" stuff shouldn't be an impossible thing to script, but I will patiently wait and be extremely grateful if someone is willing to lend their precious time for this request. It would make Lost Isle 2 work so smoothly when you don't accidentally get into conversations with NPCs anymore. icon_smile.gif

Edited by Peteo, 23 February 2013 - 03:19 PM.

#7 Omega

Omega

Yes

• Members

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:54 PM

So really all you'd need is a 16x16 tile that warps you to another screen when you press A? I'll ask a friend of mine if he can do this for you! It's useful. Do you plan to keep it private if created?

#8 Peteo

Peteo

Back in Business!

• Members

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:20 PM

QUOTE(Franky @ Feb 23 2013, 10:54 PM) View Post

So really all you'd need is a 16x16 tile that warps you to another screen when you press A? I'll ask a friend of mine if he can do this for you! It's useful. Do you plan to keep it private if created?

Yeah. The warp should be able to be activated no matter where Link is standing (on the right side, on the left side etc), as long as he's standing next to the NPC. And this is the kind of script that shouldn't be kept private, would love to see it used in other quests too.

Edited by Peteo, 23 February 2013 - 04:20 PM.

#9 Omega

Omega

Yes

• Members

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:35 PM

QUOTE(Peteo @ Feb 23 2013, 01:20 PM) View Post

Yeah. The warp should be able to be activated no matter where Link is standing (on the right side, on the left side etc), as long as he's standing next to the NPC. And this is the kind of script that shouldn't be kept private, would love to see it used in other quests too.
You can attach other options to strings, there should be an option for attaching warps to strings but there's not as far as I know. But if there was you could make a completely blank string (with a warp attached) that warps you to another location with the bubble message(s) and such.

Also it sounds to me like MoscowModder was going with a more complicated setup. As if he was telling you, pff I could probably do even more for you then that. Is that what you sort of meant MoscowModder? This shouldn't really be that hard should it?
In any case with more info I will go head and hassle a buddy about this. lol It would work great for starting boss battles and other many ideas! I think the warp npc would have more possibilitys. And you'd get more people using it MoscowModder. icon_razz.gif

Edit: MoscowModder, could you use the NPC script as an example? Though someone of your skills would probably already know how to setup the coordinates to activate on all sides like the NPC script.

Edited by Franky, 23 February 2013 - 04:37 PM.

#10 coolgamer012345

coolgamer012345

🔸

• Members

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:47 PM

it might be easy to make a fcc that acts as a warp then set to the button you press to activate it....but i dont know,if you dont want to use a script then it would be fine...but if the fcc was made could the script for it be set up so that you just set tile warps like normal(like by default the script would be a warp a but you could set where it warps you to?),i would use it if it was made.

Edited by coolgamer012345, 23 February 2013 - 04:47 PM.

#11 Peteo

Peteo

Back in Business!

• Members

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:50 PM

QUOTE(coolgamer012345 @ Feb 23 2013, 11:47 PM) View Post

it might be easy to make a fcc that acts as a warp then set to the button you press to activate it....but i dont know,if you dont want to use a script then it would be fine...but if the fcc was made could the script for it be set up so that you just set tile warps like normal(like by default the script would be a warp a but you could set where it warps you to?),i would use it if it was made.

That sounds like a simple and easy way to do it. Having a FFC acting as a warp and it can be activated only with the press of an A button. Simple, and could be used for much more than just talking to NPCs.

#12 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

• Members

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:52 PM

If you just want an NPC that warps you instead of talking, you can use this simple edit of the NPC script:

NPCs with warps

Peteo, if you could post a mockup of what you want the "bubbles" and portrait to look like, I bet I could replicate it without warps. That way, you won't have enemies and whatnot vanish when you talk to people or read signs (a pet peeve of mine in pre-2.5 quests).

#13 Omega

Omega

Yes

• Members

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:04 PM

Aww, I liked the idea of a message then a warp. Example:
You walk up to a guy, and he says "WRONG WAY HAHAHA" and warps you to a room filled with 32 heart spikes. icon_frown.gif But no, people had to help.
lol

#14 coolgamer012345

coolgamer012345

🔸

• Members

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:07 PM

could someone make a fcc that you press the set button for though.....?i think that would be cool and easy to use.

#15 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

• Members

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:17 PM

Franky: There's no reason you can't do that yourself. You can make your own version.

Coolgamer: You mean just an NPC that takes a button other than A? Just take your existing NPC script (or this one)...
Original NPC script

...And then change "InputL" to "InputA", "InputR", "InputB", or whatever button you want. Use your text editor's find and replace feature to make sure you get every instance of it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users