Chag Pesach Sameach

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 14 April 2014 - 06:39 PM

To all my fellow lonsmen: May you enjoy your Peasac holiday, and your seders, with both the bitter, and the joyful remembrance of our heritage. Zie guzunt!

#2 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:41 PM

I keep learning new words from you! :blah:

A very חג שמח to all applicable. Just now finished the first Seder. Far too much singing. Thinking of making a meme out of it that nobody will understand.

It involves goats. You know which song I mean.

EDIT: Survival Guide.

#3 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 18 April 2014 - 03:46 AM

I tend to enjoy my matzos, and will eat matzo at any time of year; but I pay strict attention to the Mitzvah, of course, for Peasac.

I've seen that website before, and while there are some interesting ideas on it, I'm not sure why anyone needs a 'Survival Guide'. I can live without chematz for Peasac without needing 'Survival', because there are many ways to use matzoh to make anything you could with chametz; often, better tasting too. Have you tried the tea cracker style matzos, with a bit of fruit preserve?

I love them, with black current, apricot, or strawberrey preserves; and wish they were easier to buy during other times of the year. They are also great for eating glatt, or for fish of any kind.
To be honest, I could eat food that is Kosher of Peasac year-round, except that it is about twice the price as everything else. Really, look at the price of one box of matzo cookies... Glatt for Peasac isn't much more than normal Kosher glatt, but the 'snack' items tend to be costly, unless you make them from scratch.

My wine vessel is one of those large, glass, middle-eastern-style types: A tapered vessel, all the way down to the base, attached to a flat bottom; with no stem. After three cups, which amounts to about an entire bottle of Peasac wine, the 'Pour out your wrath' part of the Haggadah is far more emotional, than with smaller, European vessels. (I always wonder if the neighbours are going to call the peelers at this point in the reading.) By the fourth vessel...well, you get the idea. Some of the prescriptions of the Mitzva, including being in a reclining position, are probably quite wise by the fourth cup.

I enjoyed both seders, and slept a good, long time after each. I'm having my breakfast now, with some marshmallows, nut loaf (a baked good made from ground walnuts, and apricot kernels, so it's not chametz), and some traditional matzo ball soup is up next.

#4 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 18 April 2014 - 04:23 PM

Neat & sweet, as the case may be, as an appropriate response. My breakfasts thus far have consisted of two squares of Matzah, with both coated half in cream cheese, and the other half olive spread. It looks like Baba Ganoush, (Firefox thinks that should be spelled as "membranes" by the way. Fun fun.) and then various different kinds of lox, creamed lox, whitefish, and tuna spreads are spread across them in a perpendicular fashion to the cream cheese and olive spreads so that it's divided into quarters, with a distinct flavor. 8 entirely different quadrants of flavor that way.

Then there's the passover noodle soup that is the classic mainstay of our Pesach Seders for Shulchan Orech. It's so simple but it's beyond delicious for some reason.

Take 12 eggs, 2 cups of potato starch, 2 cups of water, and 1 and 3/4 teaspoons of salt, and blend 'em all together, then make pancakes out of them. Slice the resulting pancakes into thin'ish strips, 3/4 of an inch wide, and however long, (1.5 inches long, I guess.) and into hot chicken broth it goes. It's a fantastic soup. Utterly delicious.

Otherwise, for snacks, we found our niche. Aside from rainbow cookies and those "assorted sandwich cookies" which are always a delight, the Oberland brand "lace" cookies seem to be a smash hit. They're really nothing to laugh at, all things considered. Definitely pleasant to eat.

Best yet, I have a four day weekend. It just started. Friday night through Tuesday night. Precise reaction, owl and all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users